• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tth2's trip down memory lane

587 posts in this topic

HI Tim, I heard you at one point had a Brave 28 in ultra high grade, It may have already been posted in this thread, but if it hasn't may I see it? I love Brave 28, just found out from CGC my raw copy I sent in was 3.5 Off white to white pages, so I'm excited to get it in, but none the less I want to see the ultra high grade copy you had, if you have pictures you could share?

No refunds, Tim? Well in that case I'll just toss it in the garbage before it can contaminate the rest of my collection...

I think it's the only appropriate thing to do. Must maintain standards and all that. ;)

HI Tim, I heard you at one point had a Brave 28 in ultra high grade, It may have already been posted in this thread, but if it hasn't may I see it? I love Brave 28, just found out from CGC my raw copy I sent in was 3.5 Off white to white pages, so I'm excited to get it in, but none the less I want to see the ultra high grade copy you had, if you have pictures you could share?

Don't worry, it will appear soon. I think if you look at the general order that I've been presenting books throughout this thread, you can kind of figure out when the B&B 28 will appear.

Moving into the teens now, unfortunately with 2 of the books in my collection with less than stellar QP.

First up is JLA #17, a good example of no good deed goes unpunished. Without looking too closely at the book, I put in what I thought was a "support" bid that had no chance of winning, to help goose the bidding and support my buddy Acesilver when he was auctioning his JLAs on Heritage, and ended up winning the book! It's actually a very nice book that's structurally solid with nice color... but the big fat white stripe running down the spine is like a spike right through my brain. :eek:

jla17.jpg

Next up is JLA #16, which is also miswrapped, although I can't claim any oversight here. I went hard after this book notwithstanding the miswrap because it was the first 9.4 #16 that I'd ever had a chance at, and it was from the David Toth collection. I'll go into more detail and wax lyrical about the Toth collection a little later in this thread, but in my mind it contains the finest early JLA set that I know of. This is a pretty tough book in HG.

jla16.jpg

I agree with Andy - book looks great.

I guess I just don't mind the miswraps all that much - as long as the PQ is good and the overall condition is excellent.

This hobby for me has been all about getting progressively more and more insane! :insane:

Ahh!

I understand now, Tim. You got rid of all these books because you're holding out for 10.0 Gem Mints of every JLA, Atom, Aquaman and Flash.

Yes, that makes perfect sense - you would have the ultimate collection!

:headbang:

Next up is JLA #16, which is also miswrapped, although I can't claim any oversight here. I went hard after this book notwithstanding the miswrap because it was the first 9.4 #16 that I'd ever had a chance at, and it was from the David Toth collection. I'll go into more detail and wax lyrical about the Toth collection a little later in this thread, but in my mind it contains the finest early JLA set that I know of. This is a pretty tough book in HG.

jla16.jpg

Frankly Tim, the mis-wrap is nothing compared to the top edge. Any cover that is "touching the ceiling" as much as that #16 is, should be considered mis-cut strictly out of principle! The UR corner overall is way too crowded. And I only say this cuz I have my share of these, so don't think I'm trying to dampen your thread; I just thought it interesting how you rate eye-appeal features.

OK, enough of me blabbering! Great books, Great thread, onward!!

Frankly, that #16 is just hard to get in HG, period. Could it have been cut better? Yes, but there don't seem to be any HG copies of this issue being offered up anywhere these days. You can go years before getting a chance at that issue in a grade of 9.0 or higher.

I'm not a JLA collector, but 16 is a comic I've ALWAYS wanted a HG copy of.....what a beautiful evocative almost surreal cover. 19 is another even though it is much more mainstream. Some of D.C.'s covers where just unforgettable.....and JLA has some of the best. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Frankly Tim, the mis-wrap is nothing compared to the top edge. Any cover that is "touching the ceiling" as much as that #16 is, should be considered mis-cut strictly out of principle! The UR corner overall is way too crowded. And I only say this cuz I have my share of these, so don't think I'm trying to dampen your thread; I just thought it interesting how you rate eye-appeal features.

Yeah, miscut, miswrapped, it`s all of those. :sorry:

Ahh!

I understand now, Tim. You got rid of all these books because you're holding out for 10.0 Gem Mints of every JLA, Atom, Aquaman and Flash.

Yes, that makes perfect sense - you would have the ultimate collection!

:headbang:

:idea:

Not one, but two copies of JLA #15 today.

The first one was originally sold by ComicDave on eBay (the same guy I ended up buying some very nice GLs from), and I believe he said this came from the same group of books he bought in the early 90s in San Diego. I didn't actually win the eBay auction however, as Acesilver was hoovering up all things high grade JLA in those days. Fortunately, I had my revenge a few years later when I won it from his auction on Heritage (bwa-ha-ha!). I sold this at the end of 2009 to a English collector, along with many other gems in my collection.

JLA15.jpg

After I sold the copy above, I ended up winning the Levittown copy on Heritage in 2010, during what in retrospect now appears to have been a soft patch for SA DCs, because I won a bunch of books in that auction at cut-rate bids that I never expected to succeed. I wish Heritage had provided more information about the Levittown books, because they seemed to be a nice group of early SA DCs. Not quite the pristine eye appeal of some other collections or pedigrees, but very solid books. This was one of the books I sold recently that precipitated this thread.

JLA #15 is a tough book to find without a miswrap. I was not successful with either of my copies.

jla15levittown.jpg