• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

On 2/20/2023 at 1:11 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

What graded comic would they think they were buying?  

Faith #1? That listing doesn't look like a printed comic where the "CGC case" is just printed on the cover, especially the way they cropped it - it looks like a comic inside an actual CGC case.

Look how they post all of their other raw comics (example): https://www.ebay.com/itm/304807460158?hash=item46f7f0bd3e:g:~iUAAOSwJjJj7a14

You can see the edges and staples, there's room around the book.

Look how they post their slabs: https://www.ebay.com/itm/304692832110?hash=item46f11ba76e:g:r5sAAOSwkjhjaS7V

The margins of the photo are cropped tight to the case.

That photo in their listing of the "printed/fake/however you want to describe it" raw copy of Faith #1 makes it appear as though it's a comic in a slab. It's misleading.

On 2/20/2023 at 2:15 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Faith #1? That listing doesn't look like a printed comic where the "CGC case" is just printed on the cover, especially the way they cropped it - it looks like a comic inside an actual CGC case.

Look how they post all of their other raw comics (example): https://www.ebay.com/itm/304807460158?hash=item46f7f0bd3e:g:~iUAAOSwJjJj7a14

You can see the edges and staples, there's room around the book.

Look how they post their slabs: https://www.ebay.com/itm/304692832110?hash=item46f11ba76e:g:r5sAAOSwkjhjaS7V

The margins of the photo are cropped tight to the case.

That photo in their listing of the "printed/fake/however you want to describe it" raw copy of Faith #1 makes it appear as though it's a comic in a slab. It's misleading.

Is there a version of the book that looks like this?

700A8B58-60AF-42A0-B2E5-58EABDBA4A74.jpeg.b6b78600b004ff42f6e857c0cdb40580.jpeg

If not...I ask again....

What slabbed book did the buyer think they were buying?

On 2/20/2023 at 1:52 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Is there a version of the book that looks like this?

(shrug) This is the first I've ever heard of this book. I'm guessing not? But there are like 50 cover variants to every book now. If a new collector saw a listing with one photo that made it look (most likely in bad faith) like they were buying an encapsulated comic, they probably won't be happy when they discover they were duped, even if they arguably should have done a bit more research. To me it looks like the seller did everything they could to represent this as an encapsulated book - they could have easily added language that said the book is printed as to appear graded but is not actually graded, and they could have added better and more photos to make it clear. They were most likely looking to hook someone, not dissimilar to some of the dishonest facsimile seller tactics we've seen on eBay in the past.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 2/20/2023 at 3:01 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

(shrug) This is the first I've ever heard of this book. I'm guessing not? But there are like 50 cover variants to every book now. If a new collector saw a listing with one photo that made it look (most likely in bad faith) like they were buying an encapsulated comic, they probably won't be happy when they discover they were duped, even if they arguably should have done a bit more research. To me it looks like the seller did everything they could to represent this as an encapsulated book - they could have easily added language that said the book is printed as to appear graded but is not actually graded, and they could have added better and more photos to make it clear. They were most likely looking to hook someone, not dissimilar to some of the dishonest facsimile seller tactics we've seen on eBay in the past.

I’m just not seeing this nefarious intent.  The seller didn’t even put CGC in the listing title 

1FACC92F-D3EF-4D86-B515-710AEAEFCA44.jpeg.e3f12d5818dbdedf44871be04b2bbef6.jpeg

And I see nothing misleading in the description.  Had the buyer even just read the questions asked, they should understand it’s raw from the reply.

Q: What grade is this book?

A: Any assigned grades are our professional opinion and may not get the same grade from a third party. We try and be as accurate as possible to common grading standards. Please refer to the scanned image for lower value books without assigned grades.

Faith Vol 1 1 Henry CGC Case Variant NM (2016)

On 2/20/2023 at 3:11 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m just not seeing this nefarious intent.  The seller didn’t even put CGC in the listing title 

1FACC92F-D3EF-4D86-B515-710AEAEFCA44.jpeg.e3f12d5818dbdedf44871be04b2bbef6.jpeg

And I see nothing misleading in the description.  Had the buyer even just read the questions asked, they should understand it’s raw from the reply.

Q: What grade is this book?

A: Any assigned grades are our professional opinion and may not get the same grade from a third party. We try and be as accurate as possible to common grading standards. Please refer to the scanned image for lower value books without assigned grades.

Faith Vol 1 1 Henry CGC Case Variant NM (2016)

I guess it depends on whether you consider withholding information misleading. This is a CGC Replica variant. Nowhere does it state that it's a Replica. Could it have been an honest omission? Perhaps. 

On 2/20/2023 at 3:56 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I guess it depends on whether you consider withholding information misleading. This is a CGC Replica variant. Nowhere does it state that it's a Replica. Could it have been an honest omission? Perhaps. 

They used “CGC case variant” (shrug)

I suppose they could have stated “THIS IS NOT A CGC GRADED COMIC” & put REPLICA in there, but I’m unwilling to coddle the buyer in this scenario.  

On 2/20/2023 at 12:52 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

What slabbed book did the buyer think they were buying?

A non-existent book that looks like the one you cropped.  It's not unimaginable that someone might think that cover was the original cover.

Edited by Rob

On 2/20/2023 at 5:01 PM, Rob said:

A non-existent book that looks like the one you cropped.  It's not unimaginable that someone might think that cover was the original cover.

Unimaginable....no.

Not sure we need to cater to that lowest common denominator though. 

On 2/20/2023 at 3:01 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I have purchased quite a few books off these people and I doubt they were trying to trick someone into a sale.  I just saw online that they were getting close to fulfilling their 200,000th order since opening around the start of the pandemic.  I don't see them trying to fool someone into a $30 sale when they have so much other legitimate business to keep them busy.

On 2/20/2023 at 7:35 PM, divad said:

Back on track? The last page or so is krapola. :whistle:

The reason I was looking up sales results of Faith is because Key Collector listed it as a trending book, so the topic was on track. Don't like it? Then contribute something worthwhile.

On 2/21/2023 at 1:32 AM, littledoom said:

Is/was that book even hot lol.

Volume of sales was up 750% because there were some announcements of people attached to the movie in development. Actual prices results weren't high for the most part, but that's probably because the volume was people grabbing the cheap BINs. 

Edited by GeeksAreMyPeeps

On 2/21/2023 at 8:01 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Volume of sales was up 750% because there were some announcements of people attached to the movie in development. Actual prices results weren't high for the most part, but that's probably because the volume was people grabbing the cheap BINs. 

I was going through old stuff yesterday and came across my copy of Faith #1, standard cover and wondered if it was worth anything yet.  According to ebay, it's not.  Back in the box it went.  

I did find a few gems though.  Found an Ice Cream #1 variant, is there a movie or anything or it this book just popular?  

Also found a copy of Dead Rabbit #1 that apparently had a low print run for some reason.  Anyone have any details?  

On 2/21/2023 at 10:03 AM, pmpknface said:

Also found a copy of Dead Rabbit #1 that apparently had a low print run for some reason.  Anyone have any details?  

Title had to be changed...

In February last year, John McCrea and Gerry Duggan announced their new crime comic, Dead Rabbit and published an ashcan edition of the comic.
Shortly afterwards the Dead Rabbit bar in New York, which published its cocktail lists as Dead Rabbit comic books, that can be bought separately, filed a registered trademark for the phrase in relation to comic books.
When Dead Rabbit was then published by Image Comics, the bar sent a cease and desist notice to Image Comics and the New York branch of Forbidden Planet, selling the comic, announcing they would sue for millions.
Image Comics and Diamond issued a mandatory recall of the comic book.
And now, a year later, the comic book will be republished as Dead Eyes. And it looks like the 'rabbit' theme and imagery has been dulled down. This is how the cover looks now…

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/gerry-duggan-and-john-mccrea-rename-dead-rabbit-as-dead-eyes-from-image-comics-in-october/

On 2/20/2023 at 2:07 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I think we have to put the onus on the buyer here.  If the book only exists in faux slab form...what did the buyer think they were buying????

Yeah it’s on the buyer. That same buyer could leave negative feedback, request a return that the seller could get stuck with paying the additional return shipping. As well as likely damage during being repackaged and shipped back. All things I like to avoid. 

On 2/22/2023 at 2:20 AM, Corona smith said:

Yeah it’s on the buyer. That same buyer could leave negative feedback, request a return that the seller could get stuck with paying the additional return shipping. As well as likely damage during being repackaged and shipped back. All things I like to avoid. 

Why are you talking to me like I personally wouldn’t have made it evident that it’s an unslabbed REPLICA variant?

(shrug)

Sucks to have to cater to dimwits that buy a slabbed book that doesn’t exist....but here we are.

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 2/22/2023 at 4:03 AM, pmpknface said:

Found an Ice Cream #1 variant, is there a movie or anything or it this book just popular?  

I assume you mean Ice Cream Man? It was optioned for TV show a couple of years ago, but I haven't heard anything lately. Comic seems fairly popular and has some cool cover homages.

On 2/22/2023 at 9:14 PM, Hekla said:

I assume you mean Ice Cream Man? It was optioned for TV show a couple of years ago, but I haven't heard anything lately. Comic seems fairly popular and has some cool cover homages.

Yea, that's what I meant - thanks! I did hear a few good things about it but didn't know about any option. Thanks for the info.