• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dark Knight Massacre. Multiple people killed in DKR Showing!!!

553 posts in this topic

This is one of those topics that can't really be decided by debate. If everyone were armed, sometimes crime would be deterred or arrested, and sometimes even more people would be killed. Is it worth it? That's a personal decision that can be argued but neither proven nor disproven; perhaps a number could be arrived at but statistics exist outside of ethics.

In Dice's scenario, yes I'd prefer to have 200 people armed if they are not i dio ts, but I think you give the general populace way too much credit.

What a tragedy...

He just exploited every movie theatre in America. If planned right it is a SLAUGHTER. Columbine triggered many school shootings after that incident. I don't think this will be any different. Either amp up the security at the movies or shut them down.

Aren't emergency exits supposed to sound an alarm? I agree that now every theater is going to have to beef up on procedures and security.

Thus dies a decent thread...

I agree. That Batman panel shouldn't have been posted.

I posted the panel because it stuck me emotionally combined with all the tragedy...and I included no comment with it.

You sir are the wacko that turned this into a gun control debate. Perhaps you should not have been the one to read your own politics into a comic panel and weaken a very thoughtful thread.

Really? Seriously? You aren't that thick are you? You didn't have to comment on it because your political stance was in the the picture and words in the panel insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

Not so sir, I happen to own 3 guns, including an assault rifle. But since you know everything, perhaps I will just sit back and enjoy your fantastic wisdom.

Well goodie for you. I suspect you will be destroying those guns like Batman in the panel because they are bad.

Weren't you just telling me how dare i tell someone what not to talk about but here you are telling someone they shouldn't post a panel from a comic that they were obviously moved enough by to share with other people. Every comment you've made has been confrontational and you're obviously here to just argue with everyone and prove that everyones wrong and youre right. Why don't you just move along because we can get along fine without your holier than thou attitude.

Washington D.C. has some of the strictest laws in the country. Meaning only the bad guys have the guns. Therefore, they have some of the highest crime.

Buill.

Yes--DC has some of the strictest gun laws in the country. But it works.

1. Instances of violent crime in DC fell by 50% over the last 15 years.

2. DC is no longer even on the top 10 list of U.S. cities with the most murders and/or violent crime per capita. Baltimore, St. Louis, Little Rock, Detroit are all _far_ worse.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43158398/ns/business-us_business/t/crime-down-these-cities-are-still-dangerous/

I've lived in DC proper for the last 11 years, and in some rough neighborhoods (like Petworth and Trinidad). Violent crime isn't the issue here that the media portrayed it to be back in the 90s, and gentrification's long-since taken hold in formerly-sketchy neighborhoods like Shaw and Columbia Heights, even Anacostia.

This is the sickest f....k that ever lived. Tmz reports he dyed his hair partically red and told the the cops was the joker.... I was planning on attending tonight... It just not the same....I am not gonna go tonight... I might not go at all....what a black eye for comic fandom, comic book movies and the real victims....hang the motherf...er

This is one of those topics that can't really be decided by debate. If everyone were armed, sometimes crime would be deterred or arrested, and sometimes even more people would be killed. Is it worth it? That's a personal decision that can be argued but neither proven nor disproven; perhaps a number could be arrived at but statistics exist outside of ethics.

In Dice's scenario, yes I'd prefer to have 200 people armed if they are not i dio ts, but I think you give the general populace way too much credit.

Exactly.

The scenario in that video Roy posted that everyone is applauding could have gone horribly wrong. Everyone in that room is fortunate that the robbers decided to run instead of return fire and spray bullets all over the room in a panic.

Washington D.C. has some of the strictest laws in the country. Meaning only the bad guys have the guns. Therefore, they have some of the highest crime.

Buill.

Yes--DC has some of the strictest gun laws in the country. But it works.

1. Instances of violent crime in DC fell by 50% over the last 15 years.

2. DC is no longer even on the top 10 list of U.S. cities with the most murders and/or violent crime per capita. Baltimore, St. Louis, Little Rock, Detroit are all _far_ worse.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43158398/ns/business-us_business/t/crime-down-these-cities-are-still-dangerous/

I've lived in DC proper for the last 11 years, and in some rough neighborhoods (like Petworth and Trinidad). Violent crime isn't the issue here that the media portrayed it to be back in the 90s, and gentrification's long-since taken hold in formerly-sketchy neighborhoods like Shaw and Columbia Heights, even Anacostia.

Not to mention, Texas has some pretty rough neighborhoods, and I'm pretty sure Michigan has nice ones, despite Detroit.

Exactly.

The scenario in that video Roy posted that everyone is applauding could have gone horribly wrong. Everyone in that room is fortunate that the robbers decided to run instead of return fire and spray bullets all over the room in a panic.

Good point, CAL.

Exactly.

In that video the robber wasn't there to kill everything that entered his line of fire either. The CCW could have been the first one to bite it if this guy was a spree killer and not a crook. Sometimes robberies do turn into multiple homicides, and the guy that plugged the robbers made sure that didn't happen, and I agree things could have gone bad there, but it's still not really comparable to a "shooting fish in a barrel" type of thing where a guy suits up, brings along smokebombs, flash grenades, teargas, whatever, and has high capacity mags with the intent to kill, probably not even planning on surviving the spree. There might not be much to end those types of things besides the shooter running out of ammo. I think that's how just about every enclosed mass execution I can remember ended.

You've got to understand how it went down for people in this situation.

On a Denver talkshow this morning, a guy called in from the situation. He had his 18 year old son with him.

He said everything was normal. He didn't notice anyone getting up to go outside. It was only realized when light came from the door (assuming a night light outside). He said his first thought was that it was part of the festivities (due to the "costume" the guy was wearing). He said he heard something hit the back and a flash in front of him (gas was in the back and flash in the front). At this point, he still thought it was for fun by the theatre. When the gas started tinging his throat, he knew something was wrong. Now, it's smokey in the building. And he starts to see firing blasts (can't even tell what type of gun it was). So he dropped his son to the floor. The people were crawling out of the theatre. And this individual_without_enough_empathy, while randomly popping around, went to the exit where people were crawling out and continued firing. Knowing the above, could a gun have helped? Potentially. Or he could have killed other people not knowing where the gunmen was. The sad reality is, we simply have no control. And it's why it's so tough after things like this happen.

Pat

Exactly.

In that video the robber wasn't there to kill everything that entered his line of fire either. The CCW could have been the first one to bite it if this guy was a spree killer and not a crook. Sometimes robberies do turn into multiple homicides, and the guy that plugged the robbers made sure that didn't happen, and I agree things could have gone bad there, but it's still not really comparable to a "shooting fish in a barrel" type of thing where a guy suits up, brings along smokebombs, flash grenades, teargas, whatever, and has high capacity mags with the intent to kill, probably not even planning on surviving the spree. There might not be much to end those types of things besides the shooter running out of ammo. I think that's how just about every enclosed mass execution I can remember ended.

Exactly. It's a world of difference between two guys who just want to make a quick buck, and a guy that walks into a crowded room with the intent of killing anyone and everyone he can, with probably no intention of making it out alive. The most dangerous person is the one that doesn't even care if he lives through the ordeal or not, they're just worried about how many lives they can take before they are taken down or run out of ammo.

Exactly.

This is exactly my point. The robbers could have just started shooting, or they could have simply taken the money and ran. The guy that stepped up to stop them could have made things worse or better. If a couple of people in that theater were armed, they may or may not have been able to stop him; they may or may not have made things worse. Put multiple guns in multiple hands, and anything can happen. That's why this is a retarded discussion, and I'm leaving now.

Exactly.

And if the guy had been carrying a .40 or .45 cal he would have dropped both of them on the spot and we'd have two less skidmarks in the underwear of society.

The point about others having concealed weapons but being well trained or not seems incomplete and ill-thought out. In the panic that ensues, how do you know there is only ONE shooter or that there aren't additional accomplices in the audience who have yet to fire their weapons?

Exactly.

And if the guy had been carrying a .40 or .45 cal he would have dropped both of them on the spot and we'd have two less skidmarks in the underwear of society.

Easy there, Frank Castle.

This is the sickest f....k that ever lived. Tmz reports he dyed his hair partically red and told the the cops was the joker.... I was planning on attending tonight... It just not the same....I am not gonna go tonight... I might not go at all....what a black eye for comic fandom, comic book movies and the real victims....hang the motherf...er

Well said my friend. Well said

This casts a bad shadow over comic fandom.

Now the media will take this freak and use him as a barometer to judge all comic book fans in a stereotypical way. We will be hearing about how comic books must have played a part in it because of this freak for months on end now.

:(