• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Modern Speculation Thread
5 5

633 posts in this topic

I've been tipped several times for Avengers vol 4 #5 ( http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/dp.asp?prid=1133730 <-- This has already increased by $20 since start of Age of Ultron, but sales are very rare) and Captain America Reborn #6 ( http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/dp.asp?PRID=Captain+America+Reborn+%236_1060329 <-- Increased by $30 and overlooked by a few of my LCS, so you might find it in the bin instead of the wall).

Avengers has FIRST mention of the Ultron War. Captain America has a flashback.

Edited by Luis Suarez

I've been tipped several times for Avengers vol 4 #5 ( http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/dp.asp?prid=1133730 <-- This has already increased by $20 since start of Age of Ultron, but sales are very rare) and Captain America Reborn #6 ( http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/dp.asp?PRID=Captain+America+Reborn+%236_1060329 <-- Increased by $30 and overlooked by a few of my LCS, so you might find it in the bin instead of the wall).

where are these price increases?

where are these price increases?

I bought Captain America Reborn #6 on Midtown maybe a month or two ago for $12. And I bought Avengers #5 for $30? from a LCS. I've been seeing them for $45-70 at cons and another LCS and $50 on eBay. Something big and top secret is suppose to happen at the end of Age of Ultron according to Joe Q.

Cap reborn 6 gets no love on ebay. Even the 1:50 quesada variant ends at right around cover price regularly. (there are currently 2 available at less than $10+ship). If you wait a week or two there will probably be some at auction that get the same $3-4 that the other few that have sold recently got. If this is a speculation pick for you there should be no reason you can't pile them up currently for cheap. I could make up 20 long boxes of variant books at shops around here that have $45-$70 price tags on them that aren't getting squat online. Shops/dealers mark these variants at these levels all the time and don't sell them, and they end up sitting with stupid high price tags. Midtown changing their price on something isn't a good indicator of something having potential. I could be wrong, but there's age of ultron stuff all over the place right now, and i don't see the 2 issues you cited as having much in the way of future potential regardless of what you have seen in person.

As for Hip Flask the first appearance of him and Elephantmen is Hip Flask: Unnatural Selection 2002 . I believe there are 4 variant covers. ...... I really did not want to see this come out but good job and I agree 100 percent its really good.

Can not agree more with Elephantmen, love the books, Unnatural selections is hard to find, Even the reprint in #0 is rare as well. Had a "why no movie love" conversation yesterday, both agreed would take big $$$ to do it right, and just not popular enough like transformers with a built in following to support the cash.

As far as it looks, movie is still a go. There have been talks with Andy Serkis regarding him playing Hip Flask. I wish I would have remembered which director was supposed to be on it.

Was just checking out Matt Hawkins (Top Cow, Think Tank, etc) facebook page. Sounds like a movie he was working on just went kaput...he then went on to say the following...

"Not getting into details but a film project I worked on pretty hard just went kaput. Darkness and Theory of Everything are marching forward on the film side and we've been quiet about our TV stuff but two projects being developed."

Anybody have an idea as to what TV stuff is in development?

Edited by awakeintheashes

He is writing The Test for SyFy, which was part of Pilot Season. There is The Test and Pilot Season Declassified 2011 (real 1st appearance).

I think the other one would be Think Tank.

Archie continues to push Kevin Keller into becoming a house-hold name for the publisher. Good for them. It really is a fun character and title. Anyway, this tidbit of news came out yesterday:

"....the “Archie” movie, which is going to be a straight-up teen movie. It’s Archie’s coming-of-age story. Hopefully, it will be the “Archie” movie people have been anticipating for 70-plus years. And here’s a tidbit: Expect to see fan-favorites Cheryl Blossom and Kevin Keller in it, in very prominent ways."

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/afterlife-with-archie-francesco-francavilla-cover-movie-details/

:applause::headbang::whee:

Edited by dane323

I could see them turning saga into a cartoon....

"The Maxx" was made into a cartoon. How much are those books worth?

10 years = nostalgic Maxx generation = live-action Maxx movie = bank. Calling it, stock up now.

Guest Grails
I could see them turning saga into a cartoon....

"The Maxx" was made into a cartoon. How much are those books worth?

You'd be surprised. The 35 issue run is nearly worthless. No shortage of copies out there. But the black ashcans and one of the 1/2 Test prints have sold for up to 2k.

I think a lot of copper drek that was once plentiful will begin to dry up in high grade at some point. How long have these books been lingering in discount bins, handled/stored poorly due to their red-headed stepchild status?? Not to mention the fact that a lot of people realized many years ago that they couldn't get squat for them from an LCS or ebay, and just tossed them.

Some books will take longer than others obviously, but I already have a tough time locating HG, NM or better copies of lots of 90's books, especially 2nd and later printings, and issues in the higher numbers of a title's life.