• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

I don't like the stamp, either, but otherwise it's a pretty sharp 8.5.

I've seen that style of date stamp before, is it from the UK ? It is a sharp copy and it's probably NOT been tampered with. I just hope we don't see it in the future with a higher grade and cover shrinkage. The date stamp will be an easy trace.

I also noticed the Clink scan is showing the blues as grey. They should correct it.

Edited by bomber-bob

Date stamps will affect the grade. All depends on the otherwise grade of the book and the type of stamp (clear/smudged/small/large/light/dark).

I wouldn't it expect it to affect the grade as much in the VF range as I could in the NM range where defects and markings carry a lot more weight.

I remember this being discussed on the Boards, specifically can you get a 9.8 with a date stamp. I know some examples were shown. Here is one I have in 9.8 with a date stamp.

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=11530&GSub=894

I know that you can have a 9.8 with a date stamp.

What I don't know is if you can get a 9.9 or a 10.0

That's a question only a grader can answer as I have no experience in that area.

....so if a 9.8 can have a date stamp I would imagine that they don't ding too much for them? One of my silver age mega keys has a fugly smeared date stamp on the back cover, but it's only a 5.5, so I'm gathering it was not too big a factor in the final grade. Please correct me if I am mistaken...

-J.

....so if a 9.8 can have a date stamp I would imagine that they don't ding too much for them? One of my silver age mega keys has a fugly smeared date stamp on the back cover, but it's only a 5.5, so I'm gathering it was not too big a factor in the final grade. Please correct me if I am mistaken...

-J.

What matters is the otherwise grade of the book and the appearance of the date stamp.

On a Fine range book (5.5 is a Fine minus) you can introduce large defects without affecting the grade much, if at all.

Introduce a 1" rip and it may not affect the grade at all.

Introduce a 1" rip in a 9.8 book and it becomes a VF+ (or whatever it becomes).

All depends on the grade, the defect and the eye appeal of the book.

A neat, clean and relatively small date stamp likely doesn't affect the grade in 9.8 but it might in 9.9/10.0

-J.

What matters is the otherwise grade of the book and the appearance of the date stamp.

On a Fine range book (5.5 is a Fine minus) you can introduce large defects without affecting the grade much, if at all.

Introduce a 1" rip and it may not affect the grade at all.

Introduce a 1" rip in a 9.8 book and it becomes a VF+ (or whatever it becomes).

All depends on the grade, the defect and the eye appeal of the book.

A neat, clean and relatively small date stamp likely doesn't affect the grade in 9.8 but it might in 9.9/10.0

Makes sense, thank you for the primer Vintage.

-J.

I'm drinking heavily at our company party (bloody mary's)

:applause:

I thank you for highlighting the most important points I was trying to make :insane:

Hey you all have a great one ok!!!

:foryou:

LINK

HERE'S A LINK TO IT (:

Seriously.... Ask Price: $47,500 :baiting:

That's a HUGE jump from an 7, 8 to an 8.5. A scary jump. Based on hype from a movie slated for 2017. Great book, and it was still a great book before 2011/2012. Guys, we've seen books rocket on the hype and dump on the news. Tread carefully.

True that!

My Showcase 22 still isn't worth what I paid during the fever before the actual film hit - and hit it did, the proverbial fan :cry:

But a guy (or gal) can dream if they want ;)

My Showcase 22 still isn't worth what I paid during the fever before the actual film hit....

But is it still worth as much to you now as it was worth to you at the time you bought it? If so, you're fine.

???

That being the case then yes I am happy.

Most of my unhappiness with declining values is associated with my selling my undercopy to upgrade.

If I wanted to bump the grade, I usually like to at least break even when I sell my under copy.