• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicLink November Auction

247 posts in this topic

This has not been a fun CLink auction for me...sold two books...both came a combined $500 below GPA. One was even a highest graded MMC :(

On top of that, every book I bid on I lost....I've still got a few irons in the fire but I expect these to go out very soon as well.

What kind of comics were you selling with respect to age and genre? Had prices for these done particularly well in the past few years?

And what kind of comics were you trying to buy?

???

I had the Batman 182 and the MMC 73. The Batman was 2nd highest and the MMC was highest. Just thought they'd do a little better...

I was under-bidder on that one Brock.

If I had known...I would have gladly sold it to you!

:blush:

There was a Pep #21 cgc 4.5 that sold in the $600 range. There are only 2 universal copies of this book cgc graded and I own the highest graded one which is graded a 7.5 universal blue with cream to off white pages. I had sent it in for grading about 6 months ago as i had it put away for over 30 years. Does anyone have an idea what they think this could go for if i consider selling it?
\

That book is, I believe, a Gerber 4.

I did not buy the "super-rare" description/hype they gave for that book. I think enough people did, so it sold for a good bit.

I wanted the the Pep 7 and 18 much more. I gave up as those books (at least the 18) started to go through the roof.

There was a Pep #21 cgc 4.5 that sold in the $600 range. There are only 2 universal copies of this book cgc graded and I own the highest graded one which is graded a 7.5 universal blue with cream to off white pages. I had sent it in for grading about 6 months ago as i had it put away for over 30 years. Does anyone have an idea what they think this could go for if i consider selling it?
\

I did not buy the "super-rare" description/hype they gave for that book. I think enough people did, so it sold for a good bit.

I wanted the the Pep 7 and 18 much more. I gave up as those books (at least the 18) started to go through the roof.

If its a gerber 4, where are the other copies? Admittedly I don't go to the big cons, so I'm limited to what I see in the auctions and on the boards, but the book seems much rarer than a 4.

\

If its a gerber 4, where are the other copies? Admittedly I don't go to the big cons, so I'm limited to what I see in the auctions and on the boards, but the book seems much rarer than a 4.

I don't know as I don't go to shows or deal extensively. But the "Super-rare" descriptor in the auction referred to 2 books being slabbed. So yes I guess it's a rare slab. But I find it hard to believe that any book that Gerber gave a 4 to is now "super rare". If he was off by 90% then maybe the book is an 7 or a 8.

Perhaps those who see lots of GA can chime in.

The price for this seemed in line with recent auction results, and I am happy to have it:

Aquaman26.jpg

My book, congrats

( I purchased 2 by mistake , kept one, sold this :facepalm: )

From Doctor Joe to Lawyer Joe! (thumbs u

I think Cardy's Aquaman covers - and particularly his use of colors - is just terrific. For years I had admired the books, and finally started pulling the trigger. Thanks for making this one available.

I didn't go after too many this auction, but I was underbidder on this one. Nice pick-up and congrats! (thumbs u

This just in from Josh:

Important Note to Wednesday's Bidders

68 Lots will Reopen on Friday

Due to a server configuration error, and resulting errors returned while bidders tried to bid on lots that closed early in the ComicLink Featured Auction last evening (Wednesday, 11/28), all lots that closed between 8:00pm and 8:29pm Eastern Time have been reopened for bidding effective immediately, and can be found here: http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/default.asp?Focused=1&code=2012nov&session=3

There is also a link to these items on the Focused Auction section of the ComicLink web site. You may also go to your My Bids Section to see if you have any active bids on items that were reopened.

These lots will now close this Friday evening (11/30) during the same time intervals (8:00 to 8:29) (Hit #1 thru Journey #118). So, official winning bidders will be declared on Friday for these lots. All other lots from the auction remain unchanged. If you you are the current high bidder on one of the affected items, your high bid and max bids remain unchanged. That said, you could still be outbid on these items, and you may raise your max bids, up until the lots close on Friday night. We strongly recommend you review your bids on these items and see if you want to raise any maximum bids before the items officially end. We realize that you also were unable to bid on many of these lots during the final minutes.

We understand that this is frustrating to bidders that were high bidder on the aforementioned lots, but this is necessary to do to be fair. Due to the error in the auction system during the bidding within this time interval, many bidders that attempted to bid on items within the last two minutes of these lots closing were unable to do so. They received error messages when clicking on items, and were seeing items disappear from view that were not closed yet. Therefore it created an adverse situation both for these bidders, and for the sellers of the items affected.

We think that reopening the bidding on the affected items is the fairest thing to do in this situation (or the lesser of two evils), and the one most in keeping with the spirit of the auction process. This way, those that had planned on bidding on the items but were unfairly unable to do so due to a universal problem on our end, may bid, and sellers will get fair market value for their items.

The cause of the error has been identified and eliminated, luckily before most of the vast majority of the lots ended last night. The ComicLink site underwent a major hardware server upgrade prior to this auction closing, and part of this was splitting the database and web server. The database server time and web server time were not synched to match exactly, so when the web server went to pull data from the database server for auctions ending within two minutes, the database server showed items ended already, and errors resulted. The web server was controlling the countdown that bidders could see. Why were the database and web servers not synched to match exactly? On Tuesday evening we noticed that the end times weren’t synched with real-time, and on Wednesday morning our hosting service manager, in an attempt to fix this issue, made an oversight and only changed the time on the web server and not the database server (this was the human error that caused the resulting auction errors.)

Again, we do feel for those bidders that thought they already "won" the items during these intervals and our hearts go out to you. We are sorry this happened. If it were me, I'd be upset, but we hope you understand that we are doing what we think is the most ethical thing to do in this situation. Technology is great in many ways -- it enables us to do what we do, and provide the service we do. We do the best we can to utilize it to your benefit, and our hosting service does the best it can to service us. We apologize for this error as we know it is a significant source of inconvenience and frustration. We hope you understand that this was unexpected, uncommon, and we promise that we will learn from it in order to minimize any technological glitches in the future

Sincerely,

Josh Nathanson, Founder and CEO

ComicLink

That happened about a year ago or so and affected several books I had "won" and then had to make sure I won them again. It worked out, but was nerve-wracking.

1/3 tonight

USA7.jpg

dont catch the Timely bug Brian! lol

I had never noticed this before, but what kind of trick shooting is Bucky doing to hit that airplane without shooting Cap's legs? (shrug) Sweet book nonetheless!

That happened about a year ago or so and affected several books I had "won" and then had to make sure I won them again. It worked out, but was nerve-wracking.

1/3 tonight

USA7.jpg

I had never noticed this before, but what kind of trick shooting is Bucky doing to hit that airplane without shooting Cap's legs? (shrug) Sweet book nonetheless!

yup, I've seen that before. I like to tell myself that the plane is exploding from something else (off camera) and not from bucky's shots at all :insane:

1/3 tonight

USA7.jpg

yup, I've seen that before. I like to tell myself that the plane is exploding from something else (off camera) and not from bucky's shots at all :insane:

Or it could be a miniature spy plane right beside Cap's knee. (shrug)