• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,913 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I am Marc. I am in my 40s and just now getting back into collecting comics after about a 2 decade break. 

I am a big Batman fan and Hulk fan. Feel free to drop me a message for I would love to find some new friends who share this hobby with me. 

Marc

On 9/21/2022 at 2:31 PM, SpceWrnglr said:

Hello from the end of the road! Marvel Only, Widespread Panic Fan (Space Wrangler) :drumroll:. Got a short bin or two xD

Sorry to hear about your hulk 181 qualified label purchase, I've had expensive slabs split in twain! So I understand the frustration, once more, the slab it happened to with me, I couldn't replace due to change in value. Now I look at iron fist 14 as a book I'll never own again. :(

Welcome to the boards though, I hope you find solutions with your poll/thread

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Hello, All!
I'm a new member, as of last week, or so.
For the last 2 months, I've been rebuilding a collection. 
Went to my first Con back in June, with my family, and saw my 16 year old take an interest in comics, like I did as a kid. 
I started by collecting the titles I had or wanted as a kid, but that didn't take long - they're just too saturated.
Then, I started visiting every comics shop in a 30 mile radius, as well as antique stores and auctions, trying to build a decent silver-age collection that I can enjoy and be proud of… and that might just become a financial legacy for my family one day.
Getting a little carried away, but loving the journey, and excited to be a collector.

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 1.53.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 1.53.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 1.57.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 1.57.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 1.57.42 PM.png

On 9/26/2022 at 1:58 PM, PHNATX said:

Hello, All!
I'm a new member, as of last week, or so.
For the last 2 months, I've been rebuilding a collection. 
Went to my first Con back in June, with my family, and saw my 16 year old take an interest in comics, like I did as a kid. 
I started by collecting the titles I had or wanted as a kid, but that didn't take long - they're just too saturated.
Then, I started visiting every comics shop in a 30 mile radius, as well as antique stores and auctions, trying to build a decent silver-age collection that I can enjoy and be proud of… and that might just become a financial legacy for my family one day.
Getting a little carried away, but loving the journey, and excited to be a collector.

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 1.53.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 1.53.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 1.57.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 1.57.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 1.57.42 PM.png

Welcome! Wait until you get used to mail calls, it gets to where you expect it, or you're a little sluggish with what to do that day haha In seriousness be careful, but glad the drive and hunt is lighting a fire of nostalgia 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 10/5/2022 at 10:45 PM, DHack4 said:

Greetings to all. Officially jumped on board a week or two ago. I've dabbled in comics over the years. But recently decided to get a little more serious. Pre-war and post-war baseball cards have been my passion. But the escalation of cards I like to collect has pretty much priced me out. Which has caused me to rediscover my enjoyment of comics. I've have always been drawn to the outstanding artwork of many silver and bronze age books. I've been selling a few cards and shifting those funds into comics. Hopefully the receding prices will allow me to not spend as much as I might have. Although, I hope I'm not catching falling knives. LOL.

I subbed these two books as my first submission ever. I'm hoping grades pop soon since they hit quality control stage yesterday. Fingers crossed.

I'm looking forward to hanging around and learning a lot. Thanks for listening.

FF6.jpg

FF12.jpg

Good choices! Welcome 🤗 to the boards 

On 10/7/2022 at 5:53 PM, NSmith7275 said:

Hello, everyone.  I'm Nick.  I collected during the mid-80s to about 1994 when I got commissioned and concentrated on the military.  However, I lugged my 4,000+ comics with me through every military assignment despite having stopped collecting.  I got somewhat nostalgic last year and started to explore my boxes again.  I re-inventoried my collection and discovered that at some point during one my military moves one of my comic long boxes never made it (part of my "M" and "N" titles; thankfully not my "X" box).  I'm slowly getting reacquainted with the characters I grew up with, but am somewhat leery of falling back into that black hole of comic collecting.  I may never find my way out!  I have a 7-year old son, so I suspect if he ever gets into comics, I will simply just jump in with both feet and that will be it.  I've been buying various omnibus collections to more rapidly catch up on what happened to some of my favorite heroes.  I may buy a few random issues here and there, but I may keep to omnibuses/trade paperbacks for the time being.  At one point in the early 2000s, I also went a bit nuts re-connecting with my love of the Six Million Dollar Man and Bionic Woman.  So I have a variety of loose and boxed 12" figures (my son keeps asking when he can have the boxed ones -- I say "later").  Neal Adams' covers for some of the Bionic Man comics are quite nice, too. 

I've enjoyed reading a lot of the postings here and look forward to participating. 

Thank you for your service! Hobbies can be fun to carry on from each generation as well, so I'm happy it can be a bonding thing to keep that nostalgia down the road. Glad you came away with something, and welcome to the boards, I look forward to your posts. :)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 10/7/2022 at 4:53 PM, NSmith7275 said:

Hello, everyone.  I'm Nick.  I collected during the mid-80s to about 1994 when I got commissioned and concentrated on the military.  However, I lugged my 4,000+ comics with me through every military assignment despite having stopped collecting.  I got somewhat nostalgic last year and started to explore my boxes again.  I re-inventoried my collection and discovered that at some point during one my military moves one of my comic long boxes never made it (part of my "M" and "N" titles; thankfully not my "X" box).  I'm slowly getting reacquainted with the characters I grew up with, but am somewhat leery of falling back into that black hole of comic collecting.  I may never find my way out!  I have a 7-year old son, so I suspect if he ever gets into comics, I will simply just jump in with both feet and that will be it.  I've been buying various omnibus collections to more rapidly catch up on what happened to some of my favorite heroes.  I may buy a few random issues here and there, but I may keep to omnibuses/trade paperbacks for the time being.  At one point in the early 2000s, I also went a bit nuts re-connecting with my love of the Six Million Dollar Man and Bionic Woman.  So I have a variety of loose and boxed 12" figures (my son keeps asking when he can have the boxed ones -- I say "later").  Neal Adams' covers for some of the Bionic Man comics are quite nice, too. 

I've enjoyed reading a lot of the postings here and look forward to participating. 

Welcome to the boards!! :cheers:
I know what it’s like to haul around long boxes of comics during military moves….and storage locations.  I remember shipping 8 long boxes through the USPS from Germany.  I refused to include them in my household goods shipment.  They all arrived safe and sound.

I mainly collected during my time in the service, only getting as high as about 21 long boxes.  4000 comics is a lot. 🤣

I finally got married after I retired…was married to my career first.  Now I’m slowly selling them off because it’s time to ‘move along’.  Now I stick to mainly silver and pre-code slabs…a much smaller collection. lol

Again, welcome!!! 👍🤙🖖

Edited by Galen130

On 10/7/2022 at 8:42 PM, Galen130 said:

Welcome to the boards!! :cheers:
I know what it’s like to haul around long boxes of comics during military moves….and storage locations.  I remember shipping 8 long boxes through the USPS from Germany.  I refused to include them in my household goods shipment.  They all arrived safe and sound.

I mainly collected during my time in the service, only getting as high as about 21 long boxes.  4000 comics is a lot. 🤣

I finally got married after I retired…was married to my career first.  Now I’m slowly selling them off because it’s time to ‘move along’.  Now I stick to mainly silver and pre-code slabs…a much smaller collection. lol

Again, welcome!!! 👍🤙🖖

That was almost the same with me -- pretty much married my career first, then got married late (when I was 35).  I'm also thinking of selling off most of my collection, albeit slowly, and just focus on a few very small areas.  Still have my AF15 and X-Men #1, though.  Not sure I can part with them, yet.  I did promise myself I would sell the AF15 when I was ready to retire for good; take the wife on a nice expensive vacation...

Had a few old Hulks CGC'd a few years back to sell for my Dad and have now decided to go down the rabbit hole of starting a CGC collection. Looking mainly to get books that were key to my childhood, such as first comics bought and covers I enjoyed.  Hopefully it doesn't get too out of hand, but I'm sure it will.  Hoping to find some books here at good prices.  Thanks.

On 10/11/2022 at 10:01 AM, Mike Haynes said:

Had a few old Hulks CGC'd a few years back to sell for my Dad and have now decided to go down the rabbit hole of starting a CGC collection. Looking mainly to get books that were key to my childhood, such as first comics bought and covers I enjoyed.  Hopefully it doesn't get too out of hand, but I'm sure it will.  Hoping to find some books here at good prices.  Thanks.

Welcome....and yes, watch out for the rabbit hole!!! lol

I've been selling off most of my collection here, but it's a slower environment than eBay and other places.  I only sell here because I know that most folks on the boards are true collectors AND readers.

Good luck!!! :cheers:

On 10/11/2022 at 11:01 AM, Mike Haynes said:

Welcome! Noble goals. :)

On 10/12/2022 at 2:01 AM, Mike Haynes said:

Welcome to the boards! 

Hello, newb here.  Just signed up and plan on submitting my first book at Baltimore Comic Con in a couple weeks.  Thankfully I came to the site beforehand because I didn't even know you needed a membership before submitting anything, even at a show.  

I've been collecting since the seventies, mainly Marvel/DC/Superhero stuff, but really I have an interest in the art form of sequential storytelling in general.  

On 10/15/2022 at 5:42 PM, Just Bill said:

Hello, newb here.  Just signed up and plan on submitting my first book at Baltimore Comic Con in a couple weeks.  Thankfully I came to the site beforehand because I didn't even know you needed a membership before submitting anything, even at a show.  

I've been collecting since the seventies, mainly Marvel/DC/Superhero stuff, but really I have an interest in the art form of sequential storytelling in general.  

Glad you got some perspective, and welcome! Hope it goes well :) There is a lot to get accustomed to, so take some con pics and have a ball!

On 10/16/2022 at 8:01 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:
On 10/15/2022 at 5:42 PM, Just Bill said:

Glad you got some perspective, and welcome! Hope it goes well :) There is a lot to get accustomed to, so take some con pics and have a ball!

Also worth noting, since I needed to let someone else know today as well that:

A CGC facilitator or representative has to "witness the signing" in order for any signatures to obtain a yellow label. The membership tiers are different, and or, based on how much you're planning on submitting. I suggest the lowest tier that offers the $150 in membership credit. AFAIK it still counts toward sig series, plus you are basically getting a membership for $150 and receiving the same $150 to use toward submissions.

It is basically "free" in that regard, as you get to use what you put in by paying upfront. :) 

Also once you have the membership, if you put it on "auto-renew" and when it becomes time in a year, the membership is only $130, but you still get the full $150 credit, saving you $20 :cheers: