• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Doctor Strange Movie Thread

1,320 posts in this topic

Do they always have to change a classic character's sex or race just for the sake of diversity. I was hoping for an old bald dude.

What I thought was strange was an Old asian man wasn't minority enough? Can't count on all my fingers how many strong female characters have been in superhero movies conversely can't think of a single asian male character off the top of my head. Maybe sunfire was in an X movie I haven't seen all of those.

that's what struck me... a white lady replace a potential Asian actor..oh well.

It kinda fits the social experiment we see in media today. White male taking orders from women and racial minorities and/ getting kicked by such or cowering before them. Must beg on the floor for a woman to teach him the arts?

I guess we will see in about 20 years the effect this has on society if any when todays children become adults. In any event it was a missed opportunity to include a very cool asian character.

Do they always have to change a classic character's sex or race just for the sake of diversity. I was hoping for an old bald dude.

What I thought was strange was an Old asian man wasn't minority enough? Can't count on all my fingers how many strong female characters have been in superhero movies conversely can't think of a single asian male character off the top of my head. Maybe sunfire was in an X movie I haven't seen all of those.

that's what struck me... a white lady replace a potential Asian actor..oh well.

It kinda fits the social experiment we see in media today. White male taking orders from women and racial minorities and/ getting kicked by such or cowering before them. Must beg on the floor for a woman to teach him the arts?

I guess we will see in about 20 years the effect this has on society if any when todays children become adults. In any event it was a missed opportunity to include a very cool asian character.

^^ all of this...

been more excited for this than civil war etc. Im hoping they introduce Eternity... *fingers crossed*

+1

This is a perfect opportunity to start introducing the major cosmic beings in preparation for Infinity War :whee:

I'm hoping to see this too:

161759.jpg.648b6d87ab83df0c944885ab0029713b.jpg

I figure the replacement of a potential asian character by a caucasian actor in Doctor Strange may have happened a long time ago. hm

Ditko's original depiction of Doctor Strange in his first half-dozen stories, or so...

ST110-01_zpskuxwsdox.jpgST110-02_zpscrqkgbg1.jpg

A little while later...

scan111_zpswt8cut9s.jpgstrange133_zpscwxsvzp5.jpgstrange126_zps7muvvrmh.jpg

Edited by Unca Ben

I figure the replacement of a potential asian character by a caucasian actor in Doctor Strange may have happened a long time ago. hm

Ditko's original depiction of Doctor Strange in his first half-dozen stories, or so...

ST110-01_zpskuxwsdox.jpgST110-02_zpscrqkgbg1.jpg

A little while later...

scan111_zpswt8cut9s.jpgstrange133_zpscwxsvzp5.jpgstrange126_zps7muvvrmh.jpg

Now that was just his former snootiness being replaced by grim determination once he realized how deep he was in over his head.

A quick and dirty guide for understanding Doctor Strange

Okay, so first things first: Who is this Doctor Strange guy? And that's not his real name, is it?

You might be surprised to learn that Doctor Strange is actually a physician with the last name Strange. Stephen Vincent Strange was created back in 1963 by Marvel legends Steve Ditko and Stan Lee (though most would agree that Ditko should get most of the credit). Ditko on his own was a bit of an odd duck. He was the creator who, more than anyone else, opened the Marvel universe up to the weird and mystical.

So does that mean Thanos is one of the beings Strange is best equipped to take on?

Close. See, Doctor Strange is connected to what fans call Cosmic Marvel (which already includes the Guardians of the Galaxy) in a big way, and he'll almost certainly be a major player in the build-up to Avengers: Infinity War. If armed with all the Infinity Stones, Thanos would have the power to wipe out all life in the universe and beyond. Obviously, that's not something Strange could allow.

But Doctor Strange's personal villains have always been beings that don't live on our plane of existence. Classic Strange villains include fellow sorcerers like Baron Mordo (played by Chiwetel Ejiofor in the film), demons like Dormammu, and the Lord of Chaos, Shuma-Gorath.

I didn't really connect Guardians and Doctor Strange.

strange1.0.gif

But I guess that does make sense.

I hope they start with the "basics", Baron Mordo, Dormammu, Clea.

Move onto the other stuff on down the line.

Don't overstuff the first movie, there's plenty of time.

I agree. I think it's going to be Nightmare though. We'll probably see Dormammu in the next movie, after Mordo turns to the "left hand path". Apparently Mordo starts as a good guy in this film.

I'll be happy with the basics in this film. It doesn't generally work well when they try to throw too many villains into the mix so quickly.

Tilda Swinton Weighs In On Doctor Strange Whitewashing Criticism

Swinton commented on the controversy to THR and dropped some hints that things might not be exactly what they seem.

Swinton commented on the controversy to THR and dropped some hints that things might not be exactly what they seem.

"Well, it's not actually an Asian character — that's what I need to tell you about it. I wasn't asked to play an Asian character, you can be very well assured of that."

Finally, she added one last comment with a smile "You just have to wait and see, because it's not an Asian character."

That could mean any number of things, especially with the mystical realm the characters are based in. Hopefully, we'll get some clarification on this sooner rather than later.

Doctor Strange’s Erasure Of Tibet Is A Political Statement

Recently, however, discussion of Marvel’s relationship with the Chinese film market came to light once again after C. Robert Cargill, one of the screenwriters who worked on Doctor Strange, spoke very bluntly about changes made to Stephen Strange’s mentor in mysticism, the Ancient One. In the comics, the Ancient One is hundreds of years old and originates from the area that would later become known as Tibet, and Doctor Strange travels to Tibet to find him. Naturally, the Ancient One’s original background was a bit of a sticking point for Marvel because, as Cargill explained:

“The Ancient One was a racist stereotype who comes from a region of the world that is in a very weird political place. He originates from Tibet, so if you acknowledge that Tibet is a place and that he’s Tibetan, you risk alienating one billion people who think that that’s bulls**t and risk the Chinese government going, ‘Hey, you know one of the biggest film-watching countries in the world? We’re not going to show your movie because you decided to get political’…"

“The only way this character could be more awkward is if he had been made back in the thirties… and instead of going to the Orient [Doctor Strange] went to Palestine and learned from a Palestinian master… That’s the only way this could be any uglier than this one now.”

He makes it sound like the change to the character's origin was to appease the Chinese box office. Ouch!

Recently, however, discussion of Marvel’s relationship with the Chinese film market came to light once again after C. Robert Cargill, one of the screenwriters who worked on Doctor Strange, spoke very bluntly about changes made to Stephen Strange’s mentor in mysticism, the Ancient One. In the comics, the Ancient One is hundreds of years old and originates from the area that would later become known as Tibet, and Doctor Strange travels to Tibet to find him. Naturally, the Ancient One’s original background was a bit of a sticking point for Marvel because, as Cargill explained:

“The Ancient One was a racist stereotype who comes from a region of the world that is in a very weird political place. He originates from Tibet, so if you acknowledge that Tibet is a place and that he’s Tibetan, you risk alienating one billion people who think that that’s bulls**t and risk the Chinese government going, ‘Hey, you know one of the biggest film-watching countries in the world? We’re not going to show your movie because you decided to get political’…"

“The only way this character could be more awkward is if he had been made back in the thirties… and instead of going to the Orient [Doctor Strange] went to Palestine and learned from a Palestinian master… That’s the only way this could be any uglier than this one now.”

He makes it sound like the change to the character's origin was to appease the Chinese box office. Ouch!

This is total BS.

If anything the real politics would be about acknowledging Tibet as the location itself. Do they think it will be any less insulting to the Chinese by having a British woman playing the role of a Tibetan Monk? The Chinese don't want to acknowledge Tibet as an autonomous region. As far as they're concerned, it's always been part of China. This whole stereotype excuse is actually a moot point.

It's like saying Chinese people won't watch Asian martial arts movies because it's too stereotypical.

All they had to do was change the locations name from Tibet to Nepal. Changing the characters race was not necessary. It looks like Strange is traveling to Nepal in the trailer anyways, cause they do show a Kathmandu temple at one point. So where does the issue of race come in?

This is just a poor excuse to justify their decision, rather than the actual reason behind it. Besides, I think the Ancient One being Asian would have actually increased ticket sales in China.

:facepalm: