• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will CGC make an official statement?

500 posts in this topic

The thing I was first impressed about with CGC was their transparency. You knew who was doing the work. Actual representatives of the company were active on the forum in a capacity beyond "CGCMOD"

Also, there were explanations for newbies about the competition. Who they were, what their pros and cons were, and why CGC was better.

Transparency and interaction with customers, puts people at ease. Without those two things, how does anyone really know which of several options is better? But the lack of those things may not be industry wide soon, just site wide.

Now imagine the problems with the census if competitors are not mentioned in any way?

You are leaping to assumptions that cannot be made.

I'm speculating.

It's no different than a lawyer pumping himself on another law firm's site.

Not quite. For a while Joey was happily doing business on this board with full endorsement of CGC, until CGC eventually decided to provide the service themselves. It's more like a lawyer promoting his wares on a site owned by a guy thinking of one day going to law school maybe, and then years later when he actually graduates he deletes every mention of the previous lawyer.

Also, every time that previous lawyer handled a case, the law school student got paid, accumulating to countless thousands of dollars we can only speculate at the moment.

Except something happened. Joey became 'the official pressing service of CBCS Comics'.

So it's not the same.

Not quite. For a while Joey was happily doing business on this board with full endorsement of CGC, until CGC eventually decided to provide the service themselves. It's more like a lawyer promoting his wares on a site owned by a guy thinking of one day going to law school maybe, and then years later when he actually graduates he deletes every mention of the previous lawyer.

Also, every time that previous lawyer handled a case, the law school student got paid, accumulating to countless thousands of dollars we can only speculate at the moment.

Except something happened. Joey became 'the official pressing service of CBCS Comics'.

So it's not the same.

Based on recent PM's and even direct quotes in my thread, this would have happened eventually. Better sooner than later. There is a plus though. This thread has given me food for thought and showed the true colors of some.

If I can make a suggestion. Lets wait to see what CGC has to say to me and let all the hubbub die down. I was just told that the people I need to speak with are OOO until next week.

I think this post from Joey needs a bump. There's more to worry about in this world than the existence of a I love Joey Post thread. Joey seems okay. Nothing really bad happened here.

So it's not the same.

That doesn't mean he's exclusive. It doesn't mean he'd be advertising for the competitor on this site. Gatorade is the official NFL beverage. NFL players are still allowed to drink Vitamin Water and Gaterade is still available to athletes in other sports and leagues.

So it's not the same.

If this is a fact how can people question CGC's motovation?

They are a business, first and foremost. These boards are a business expense that they continue to incur becuase they feel it's existence helps their profit.

Joey may be the nicest and finest presser around but if he works for a competitor the dynamic changes.

He doesn't work for a competitor. He's the preferred freelance vendor of a competitor. He was the preferred freelance vendor of this company too, until they started providing the service themselves.

So it's not the same.

Based on recent PM's and even direct quotes in my thread, this would have happened eventually. Better sooner than later. There is a plus though. This thread has given me food for thought and showed the true colors of some.

This entire thread has been nothing but praise for you, tempered with "hold on, no need to jump to hasty conclusions about CGC" from others. There has not been a single negative thing said about you in this entire thread.

What "true colors" could you possibly be referring to?

Do you think it's negative to point out that you have essentially enjoyed free advertising here for years, a privilege enjoyed by no one else, not even Matt Nelson to the degree you have?

Are you not grateful for that free advertising?

So it's not the same.

This entire thread has been nothing but praise for you, tempered with "hold on, no need to jump to hasty conclusions about CGC" from others. There has not been a single negative thing said about you in this entire thread.

What "true colors" could you possibly be referring to?

Do you think it's negative to point out that you have essentially enjoyed free advertising here for years, a privilege enjoyed by no one else, not even Matt Nelson to the degree you have?

Are you not grateful for that free advertising?

:popcorn:

He doesn't work for a competitor. He's the preferred freelance vendor of a competitor. He was the preferred freelance vendor of this company too, until they started providing the service themselves.

The dynamic changed. It's a business not a popularity contest.

So it's not the same.

They are a business, first and foremost. These boards are a business expense that they continue to incur becuase they feel it's existence helps their profit.

Joey may be the nicest and finest presser around but if he works for a competitor the dynamic changes.

They can do this... but it is bush league.

What if the plastic supplier for their slabs decides to supply plastic to... that other company... as well?

Want to make it known the Joey that no advertisement will be allowed for... that other company... on this site? Great! Do so. Inform him privately (of something I'm sure he already knows, accepts, and understands) and there you are - handled in a professional manner.

This has been handled in a very bush league manner, I don't think anyone can deny that... and if they do deny it, I'd like to know on what grounds.

Free advertising that somehow profited CGC thousands and thousands of dollars and created the very lucrative CPR method that they are banking on today. Lets not pretend it wasn't mutually beneficial.

Free advertising that somehow profited CGC thousands and thousands of dollars and created the very lucrative CPR method that they are banking on today. Lets not pretend it wasn't mutually beneficial.

If all the CPR went away tomorrow, CGC would still exist.

CPR needs CGC and other legitimate grading companies. CGC and other legitimate grading companies don't need CPR.

And "I love joeypost" threads didn't create CPR.

I'll assume that Joey made a business decision to allow himself to become the "official presser" of the new competitor knowing it may comprise his ability to advertise on the boards through various threads.

No one can have their cake and eat it too, it's business.

So it's not the same.

What if the plastic supplier for their slabs decides to supply plastic to... that other company... as well?

Want to make it known the Joey that no advertisement will be allowed for... that other company... on this site? Great! Do so. Inform him privately (of something I'm sure he already knows, accepts, and understands) and there you are - handled in a professional manner.

This has been handled in a very bush league manner, I don't think anyone can deny that... and if they do deny it, I'd like to know on what grounds.

You're speculating. I can deny that that is "bush league", and my grounds are this: threads that are essentially advertisements for competition, or "semi-competition" shouldn't be allowed. Threads are deleted here all the time. "I love joeypost" threads were deleted before the last "I love joeypost" thread. CGC is a business, not a charity, and although I agree with Transplant's reasoning for why leeway for posting should be allowed, allowing advertising for others in threads is not good business.

That's not stopping CFP from buying ad space to run on the board.

Bottom line is that even Joe seems to acknowledge that CGC is doing what's in their best interest and that's not surprising.

Could this be handled in a slightly different and probably better way, probably so.

To me debating the merits of Joe being able to link to his site etc. or whether he added value here doesn't matter -- he's about to become the Matt Nelson essentially of CBCS. Joe is going to do very well as a result, but it will affect his ability to be present on these boards in the same fashion.

And when the "other" boards open up, he will be able to be a presence there as well.

If all the CPR went away tomorrow, CGC would still exist.

CPR needs CGC and other legitimate grading companies. CGC and other legitimate grading companies don't need CPR.

And "I love joeypost" threads didn't create CPR.

Of course CPR wouldn't go away. But if not for Joey doing the R&D and testing the market first, would CGC even be in the pressing game today?

It was a mutually beneficial deal. Not charity on behalf of CGC that only Joey was a beneficiary of.

My big question is, now that CGC does in house pressing, should it be noted on the label?

When are they going to start doing in house staple replacements and micro trimming?

I'll assume that Joey made a business decision to allow himself to become the "official presser" of the new competitor knowing it may comprise his ability to advertise on the boards through various threads.

No one can have their cake and eat it too, it's business.

Mike's making a very good point, here.

So it's not the same.

You and every other member may consider CGC removing their competitor's ability to advertise their services on the forum anything you want. It was a business decision.

Yes I'm repeating myself because there seems to be a lack of acknowledgment of whose purpose these boards ultimately serve.