• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

I watched Suicide Squad last night and quite frankly, I cannot see what all the complaining is about. For those of you who watched it and didn't like it, all I can say is you either went in with your mind already made up or watched a completely different movie!

I was really looking forward to this movie, so maybe you are right in the sense that I made my mind up that I was going to enjoy it ahead of time. I didn't, because it sucked. Glad you enjoyed it, but I'm pretty sure we both saw the same POS.

I watched Suicide Squad last night and quite frankly, I cannot see what all the complaining is about. For those of you who watched it and didn't like it, all I can say is you either went in with your mind already made up or watched a completely different movie!

Or they just have a different opinion than you.

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Or...can't we just blame it on the movie being not good?

I haven't seen the Saturday viewing stats yet for the Olympics, but Friday night (for the opening ceremonies) was apparently the worst in the U.S. since 2004, and down 35% since London in 2012.

If Suicide Squad does just $130 million this weekend (still an August opening record by a large margin), it'll be a stretch to reach $300 million domestic.

At least it's still tracking to do better than X-Men Apocalypse overall...

the "Blame it on Rio" was a joke much like the blame it on "Mayweather vs Pacquiao" was when AoU was down huge Friday to Saturday.

For the complainers who haven't actually watched the movie... DO SO and stop with the metaphors and hyperbole meh

The first thing I have to say is Suicide Squad is a good movie. I won't claim it's "great" because it isn't on par with a movie like The Dark Knight. It is however fun, entertaining and has plenty of action. There is good chemistry between some of the characters and on the whole, fairly well cast.

The best character by far was Amanda Waller. This is how Waller should be portrayed on film, i.e. nothing will get in the way of national security. Nothing.

Deadshot was superb. Full credit to Will Smith for overcoming expectations ;) By the end of the first battle, everyone loved that guy who kills people for money...

Harley was as expected. Cute, charming in a crazy way and the centre of attention (for the most part). Well portrayed by Margot Robbie, I think the character would do well in her own movie.

Unexpectedly, El Diablo was awesome! A true highlight of the movie. A great character with awesome power. I don't want to give too much away but the scene in the bar where he recounts losing control of his powers was very well acted.

Joker... I was indifferent to Leto's portrayal. It wasn't bad, however it wasn't how we think of Joker. I have to ask, what do we expect in a 2016 movie? Romero, Nicholson or a "live action" Hamill would be too camp. Ledger worked with the tone of his movie but wouldn't necessarily work in SS. I went away thinking I couldn't see a better alternative...

Now... why the criticism over pacing and editing? The story started slow in order to build up the characters, then went into full on action after the team was deployed. Breaks in the action progressed the storyline and prevented fight-scene overload. The concern the movie is messed up and confusing is unfounded. It isn't. The storyline is very simple and easy to follow.

There's a few things that could've been better... Like not casting Cara Delevingne as Enchantress. Unfortunately, acting does not appear to be her forte. And Killer Croc should've had a bigger role with more dialogue.

Overall a good movie I'd recommend going to see with an open mind...

8/10

...i.e. a 7.5/10 movie which gets an extra 0.5 for Will Smith not singing the theme song...

lol

I guess I could have given it that 'no Will Smith song' bump. :insane:

I would also add that fact that WB/DC are not hiding real magic in their universe but embracing it.

There's a few things that could've been better... Like not casting Cara Delevingne as Enchantress. Unfortunately, acting does not appear to be her forte.

She doesn't have too much time left on her 15 minutes as a Taylor bestie, considering's Swift's bizarre relationship all over the tabloids with Loki. A Britney implosion is due at any moment. Then it's back to modeling until she retires at 25. lol

Great review! Thanks for sharing. (thumbs u

For the complainers who haven't actually watched the movie... DO SO and stop with the metaphors and hyperbole meh

The first thing I have to say is Suicide Squad is a good movie. I won't claim it's "great" because it isn't on par with a movie like The Dark Knight. It is however fun, entertaining and has plenty of action. There is good chemistry between some of the characters and on the whole, fairly well cast.

The best character by far was Amanda Waller. This is how Waller should be portrayed on film, i.e. nothing will get in the way of national security. Nothing.

Deadshot was superb. Full credit to Will Smith for overcoming expectations ;) By the end of the first battle, everyone loved that guy who kills people for money...

Harley was as expected. Cute, charming in a crazy way and the centre of attention (for the most part). Well portrayed by Margot Robbie, I think the character would do well in her own movie.

Unexpectedly, El Diablo was awesome! A true highlight of the movie. A great character with awesome power. I don't want to give too much away but the scene in the bar where he recounts losing control of his powers was very well acted.

Joker... I was indifferent to Leto's portrayal. It wasn't bad, however it wasn't how we think of Joker. I have to ask, what do we expect in a 2016 movie? Romero, Nicholson or a "live action" Hamill would be too camp. Ledger worked with the tone of his movie but wouldn't necessarily work in SS. I went away thinking I couldn't see a better alternative...

Now... why the criticism over pacing and editing? The story started slow in order to build up the characters, then went into full on action after the team was deployed. Breaks in the action progressed the storyline and prevented fight-scene overload. The concern the movie is messed up and confusing is unfounded. It isn't. The storyline is very simple and easy to follow.

There's a few things that could've been better... Like not casting Cara Delevingne as Enchantress. Unfortunately, acting does not appear to be her forte. And Killer Croc should've had a bigger role with more dialogue.

8/10

...i.e. a 7.5/10 movie which gets an extra 0.5 for Will Smith not singing the theme song...

lol

I guess I could have given it that 'no Will Smith song' bump. :insane:

I would also add that fact that WB/DC are not hiding real magic in their universe but embracing it.

Yup Which is why this may lead into Justice League Dark.

:whee:

Suicide Squad Breaks All-Time August Opening Weekend Record

Suicide Squad has broken the record for opening weekend box office in the month of August, bringing in an estimated $135.1 million in its first weekend. That bests the previous record of $94.3 million, held by Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy, by a wide margin.

This is the third August box office record broken by Suicide Squad. The film also broke the August record for best Thursday night showing, bringing in $20.5 million. That number was rolled into its Friday numbers for a solid opening day box office of $65 million, which also set an opening day record for August.

Suicide Squad Opens To $132 Million At International Box Office

Suicide Squad opened to an estimated $132 million at the international box office. That rivals the record-breaking estimated $135.1 million the film earned domestically, bringing the film’s global opening weekend total to $267.1 million.

Suicide Squad got off to a great start at the box office. The film broke August records for Thursday night showings and had a stellar opening day box office. However, despite breaking the August opening weekend record, the $135.1 million still falls short of the $150 million it was projected to gross due to a 40 percent box office drop-off from Friday to Saturday.

8YzNdvy.png

No argument there...

8/10

(thumbs u

This is as about as close as it comes to how I walked away from the movie. Yet I'd give it an 8.0, possibly an 8.5 after seeing it again without the hype and expectations built up in my head.

I think you are spot on with your feedback about Waller, Deadshot, and El Diablo. I really got into El Diablo as a character in the film, from the past they shared and how well he emotionally nailed the role he may have been my favorite character. Will Smith was a pleasant surprise to not overshadow other actors as he can do in other films. Waller was just exceptional, she played that part to perfection. Kudos to whoever cast her!

Boomerang was fun character to watch and he played the part well. Cara as Enchantress/June was a good performance (yet I may be bias as I'm a fan of hers)...until the scene that felt like a part from an Indiana Jones film. That part just felt a bit messy. Croc was cool, I'd have liked a bit more from him as well but I'm sure that will come. Rick Flagg was great, I've liked him as an actor quit a bit since The Killing and had hoped he did as well as he did.

Margot as Harley was a little bit of a let down for me. I'm not sure what I was expecting but I just felt like she just didn't bring the crazy or intensity of acting that I was expecting to see throughout the film, at times I just felt I was seeing her just being just too sane for me. Leto as Joker is something I'm still trying to process, and I agree the style they chose was most likely the best one for the time/movie. Yet I felt he was either nailing it in darkness or missing the mark completely. I know the levels of insanity must differentiate but some scenes he was in felt like even he knew he was missing something. Perhaps it was under the direction of the director of the writing but I really wanted to see a more hauntingly intense Joker than I did.

I walked away happy. I felt it was a great intro film to the masses who most likely have no idea who the majority of these characters were. I'm definitely looking forward to more.

8/10

(thumbs u

This is as about as close as it comes to how I walked away from the movie. Yet I'd give it an 8.0, possibly an 8.5 after seeing it again without the hype and expectations built up in my head.

I think you are spot on with your feedback about Waller, Deadshot, and El Diablo. I really got into El Diablo as a character in the film, from the past they shared and how well he emotionally nailed the role he may have been my favorite character. Will Smith was a pleasant surprise to not overshadow other actors as he can do in other films. Waller was just exceptional, she played that part to perfection. Kudos to whoever cast her!

Boomerang was fun character to watch and he played the part well. Cara as Enchantress/June was a good performance (yet I may be bias as I'm a fan of hers)...until the scene that felt like a part from an Indiana Jones film. That part just felt a bit messy. Croc was cool, I'd have liked a bit more from him as well but I'm sure that will come. Rick Flagg was great, I've liked him as an actor quit a bit since The Killing and had hoped he did as well as he did.

Margot as Harley was a little bit of a let down for me. I'm not sure what I was expecting but I just felt like she just didn't bring the crazy or intensity of acting that I was expecting to see throughout the film, at times I just felt I was seeing her just being just too sane for me. Leto as Joker is something I'm still trying to process, and I agree the style they chose was most likely the best one for the time/movie. Yet I felt he was either nailing it in darkness or missing the mark completely. I know the levels of insanity must differentiate but some scenes he was in felt like even he knew he was missing something. Perhaps it was under the direction of the director of the writing but I really wanted to see a more hauntingly intense Joker than I did.

I walked away happy. I felt it was a great intro film to the masses who most likely have no idea who the majority of these characters were. I'm definitely looking forward to more.

It's good to hear you enjoyed the movie as much as I did (thumbs u

:applause:

Dan

:applause:

Dan

:golfclap:

Really?

When I stated how bad I thought that AoU and Civil War were (along with Ant-Man), I got attacked as being a hater and a troll. It seems like on these boards there is only respect for differing opinions if it is Marvel fanboys hating/trolling DC movies. lol

Folks keep saying that it's just a popcorn movie which I think means it's okay that it wasn't very good. Well, I like my popcorn movies to be watchable. Just a quirk of mine I guess. (shrug)

Dan