• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,152 posts in this topic

On 10/7/2023 at 7:59 AM, Gaard said:

When CGC makes all of these careless mistakes, it really doesn't cost them much. At least not so much that they stop happening. I bet if all these careless mistakes cost CGC big bucks, things would change over there.

Replace recall with fix QC. 

On 10/7/2023 at 7:59 AM, Gaard said:

When CGC makes all of these careless mistakes, it really doesn't cost them much. At least not so much that they stop happening. I bet if all these careless mistakes cost CGC big bucks, things would change over there.

I'm wondering if the guy who submitted that Punch 12 was upcharged?

Took them two months to do my mech error. Meanwhile they kept pumping out private signings on purpose. They are a company that is deadset on making $. 

As for how these issues keep happening..Skottie Young did a skit where he goes to cgc to sign and afterwards encapsulates one of his books and you can see a snapshot into what I believe is the encapsulation dept/workers etc.

On 10/8/2023 at 12:25 PM, Gator Guru said:

Took them two months to do my mech error. Meanwhile they kept pumping out private signings on purpose. They are a company that is deadset on making $. 

As for how these issues keep happening..Skottie Young did a skit where he goes to cgc to sign and afterwards encapsulates one of his books and you can see a snapshot into what I believe is the encapsulation dept/workers etc.

IMG_0044.thumb.jpeg.508fff3f9488f07387c8a3f9fab9312c.jpeg

On 10/8/2023 at 5:02 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Assuming the internal holder prevents UV damage? Someone left their book tanning outdoors hm

image.png.ba850a36c6ac7ebd447626e91d93c0ca.png

They should offer a "holder" that covers the entire book without "encapsulation" if that's the case. :D

On 10/8/2023 at 2:08 PM, SpineTic said:

IMG_0044.thumb.jpeg.508fff3f9488f07387c8a3f9fab9312c.jpeg

This does go along way to explain how the cases of newly encapsulated books have scuffing damage.

1. Bare-metal commercial (restaurant) shelving
  2. Slabs stacked upon slabs
  3. Any type of soft edge/surface protection

I wonder what the over/under is on how many times these shelves have been bumped into and a slab hit the floor? QC management is a mindset and has to be focused on environmental factors as well as product specific factors. Just for kicks, I think i'm going to apply for the QC manager job the next time it comes open.

Just for reference on the shelving; these are either the chrome or stainless steel Regency brand 18x48x70 units you usually find on wheels in fast food chains.

For educational purposes you can see how to assemble them: HERE

Edited by DougC

It seems like a little backtracking would be kind of simple...

When did this scuffing become an issue? I imagine there were always incidents, but when did it become as common as it is today? Now, if you're CGC, think back (or check your documentation). What, if any, changes occurred about that time?

- Did the storage of the slabs change? (possibly new shelving like above)

- Did the manufacturer of the slabs/plastic change? (or maybe a new shipment come in ... although this seems unlikely to be the culprit. Afterall, we're talking YEARS!

- And check the procedure of the slabbing itself. Surely, the procedure isn't exactly the same as it was 20 years ago. Was there any kind of procedural change made about the time this became a common occurrence?

I remember when the big hoopla going around was about CGC hiring this Saucerman guy. @CGC Mike said that one of the first things this dude was going to do was put tarps on all the empty slabs. This, to me, implies that they were noticing scuffs before they were using them.