• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,141 posts in this topic

On 4/27/2023 at 10:54 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Just working their way through the alphabet.  

They obviously already had 

DOA 

And have now made it up to 

DOE.

Maybe you should add DOME?

Although it's really not funny at this point.

On 4/27/2023 at 12:09 PM, Cat said:

Mike, what happened to the you-beaut QC hot dog that was chomping at the bit to solve all these issues? I haven't heard about him in aaaages. Is he even still there? Has he given up? Things seem back the way they were, if not worse than ever. 

Obviously he bit off more than he could chew  :wink:   Probably one of those new hire types that stays around long enough to get the incentive hiring bonus.  If they even still do that anymore.

On 4/28/2023 at 1:08 AM, jcjames said:

Saw this on feebay, graded a year ago:

"manufacutring" hm

CGCTypo.thumb.jpg.2e58401d96e30e59f05db960fcbae5ae.jpg

Typo is bad, but I gotta wonder about the grade - a "qualified" 0.5? I mean, except for incomplete, you really can't get lower than a 0.5, right? So what makes it "qualified"???

On 4/28/2023 at 12:25 PM, workingdog said:

Obviously he bit off more than he could chew  :wink:   Probably one of those new hire types that stays around long enough to get the incentive hiring bonus.  If they even still do that anymore.

Could have just been frustrated that he was hired to do a job, and the higher ups prevented him from doing so. Doesn’t make any sense but having been hired to help a major software firm with their SOP’s I found it laughable how hard they fought against the suggestions you were hired to make. 

Edited by joeypost

On 4/28/2023 at 2:54 PM, ttfitz said:

Typo is bad, but I gotta wonder about the grade - a "qualified" 0.5? I mean, except for incomplete, you really can't get lower than a 0.5, right? So what makes it "qualified"???

I didn't see the typo at first so I thought it being qualified was the problem. 

On 4/28/2023 at 4:22 PM, BriD. said:
On 4/28/2023 at 3:54 PM, ttfitz said:

I didn't see the typo at first so I thought it being qualified was the problem. 

Upon a second look, I think I can answer my own question - I didn't notice the first time it says "WRONG BACK COVER." So I guess that it is technically incomplete?

My only defense is I think @jcjames distracted me by pointing out the typo, and I didn't see the caption above it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

On 4/28/2023 at 1:08 AM, jcjames said:

Saw this on feebay, graded a year ago:

"manufacutring" hm

CGCTypo.thumb.jpg.2e58401d96e30e59f05db960fcbae5ae.jpg

"WRONG BACK COVER" was missing on some of those Promise Collection books.  Instead they got high-grade blues.

On 4/10/2023 at 2:12 PM, Stefan_W said:

Excuse the crappy photo but I had to get just the right angle to catch all of the white streaks on the back of this slab. This is after sending it back for a reholder and somehow they managed to make it worse. Another book in the reholder was Batman/Harley Quinn which came out a bit better than before but still packed with gunk on the inside of the holder as well.

338759357_616917927032274_5930038303906979153_n.jpg

I just discovered those marks are from the bags they ship them in. I pulled a book out recently and they matched up exactly with the folds of the bag. They are horribly unsightly.

Edited by Robert_L

So I was able so snag this book back in December. It obviously has the wrong label on it. Certification shows it, at the time, to be a 9.8, and with CGC willing to repair their label mistakes, I sent it in to be fixed.

What came back did not have the X-Men label as it did previously, and the grade dropped to a 9.6!!! That would be the first time they ever re-graded a book for a mucked up label. I know, as I have been using the ME option consistently for the last 2 years. And I have received back 9.8s in a lower grade than when I sent them in (ie manhandled), but they were never graded as such. When I called CGC about this, they said they would hunt it down and find out what happened, and for me to send it back. 3 months later, it came back with the X-Men label, and still a 9.6. No explanation as to why the grade dropped. It's like they forgot or hoped I'd forget, and just got it relabeled and sent back with no fix.

Checking the cert number shows it was graded Jan 4th, 2023. I sent the book in on Jan 10th, so their date is wrong. I can track GPA sales of this 9.8 back to August of last year. So it has been a 9.8 before until this muck up

IMG_0725.jpeg

On 4/29/2023 at 12:12 AM, Robert_L said:

So I was able so snag this book back in December. It obviously has the wrong label on it. Certification shows it, at the time, to be a 9.8, and with CGC willing to repair their label mistakes, I sent it in to be fixed.

What came back did not have the X-Men label as it did previously, and the grade dropped to a 9.6!!! That would be the first time they ever re-graded a book for a mucked up label. I know, as I have been using the ME option consistently for the last 2 years. And I have received back 9.8s in a lower grade than when I sent them in (ie manhandled), but they were never graded as such. When I called CGC about this, they said they would hunt it down and find out what happened, and for me to send it back. 3 months later, it came back with the X-Men label, and still a 9.6. No explanation as to why the grade dropped. It's like they forgot or hoped I'd forget, and just got it relabeled and sent back with no fix.

Checking the cert number shows it was graded Jan 4th, 2023. I sent the book in on Jan 10th, so their date is wrong. I can track GPA sales of this 9.8 back to August of last year. So it has been a 9.8 before until this muck up

IMG_0725.jpeg

They never charged you for grading?

So, here we have one single example of a comic that CGC's QC screwedup ... and there's two screwups on this single ME (no custom label and different grade). I know it'll never be disclosed, but I'd be very interested to know if there was some kind of accountability for these QC failures. Keep in mind this is but a single example here (out of the thousands of MEs they've been receiving). And if there is (which I highly doubt), where does the accountability fall ... with the person responsible for choosing the label, the grader, or the QC department (again, if it even exists)?

IMG_0725.jpeg

Unfortunately this seems to be their MO. Damage book, downgrade and hope you don't say anything/notice. 

I sent in a wavy case 9.8, upon it returning it was a 9.4 and they didn't notify me or anything. Instead someone had rammed what looked like a screwdriver head into the back of the book. When I contacted cgc they asked 101 questions implying I somehow caused the damage while the book was always holdered. Mike was able to step in and get it resolved but it wasn't easy. 

IMG_0725.jpeg

I hope they put a check in the box for the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8

• Administrator

IMG_0725.jpeg

I sent a note to the team about this.