• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,136 posts in this topic

Not sure what to make of this one.

1) Candian price variant missing on label?

2) Why is it Qualified if the tatooz are present?

3) Is it really a 9.8 with the problems listed in the grader notes?

img_1_1682278199849.jpg.8973415c8bc40e023444dc6808f69933.jpgimg_2_1682278213892.thumb.jpg.593af24e02b8278627a3469eaa7c72d8.jpg

Edited by BlowUpTheMoon

On 4/24/2023 at 4:03 PM, Mister Scary said:

Hi. I just wanted to offer some information regarding GCC's policy and Newton Rings (NR). I recently got 38 books graded and nearly half came back with visible NR.  All of those books are graded highly (9.2 - 9.8) and (imo) the NR significantly detract from the overall appearance of the graded books. Most are in the middle of each cover and your eyes instantly focus on them. 

I called CGC Customer Support and spoke with Chris who said that CGC changed their policy earlier this month and is no longer accepting "Mechanical Error/Returns" for NR!  My timing is horrible! Chris said that reholdering them is an option but depending on the value of the book, the cost is $20 (value under $1k) and $50 (value over $1k).  Of course the value of the graded book itself isn't diminished but after discovering this post that began well over 4 years ago, you'd hope and think that CGC could produce a holder that wasn't affected by NR. Apparently they're not able to avoid this defect and as far as I know, there's no fix for the consumer.  It's frustrating and disappointing.

@CGC Mike

is this where they have gone now?

Quality Control is no longer fixing this issue that is definitely the fault of a product they have decided to use for it's "clarity " and in spite of raising prices they now also do not standing behind the product they sell? 

This is asking for back charges and stop payment on failure to provide the services paid for. 

On 4/23/2023 at 8:09 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Stop giving them ideas :makepoint:

I am sure CGC has at least tossed this idea around but there are to many negatives for them to assume the liability.

If that 33k book sold and you had to use a CGC escrow/payment system/block chain and find out that it was all a scam that charge back is hitting the CGC payment system first. Paypal and Facebook have had to deal with this fallout and changed the way payments are held but still get caught holding the bag sometimes.

On 4/26/2023 at 8:48 PM, Iceman399 said:

image.thumb.png.09ff33a6727da1612d459b281366a968.png

@CGC Mike cgc can't be this dumb can they???

(shrug)

On 4/24/2023 at 11:08 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:
On 4/24/2023 at 4:03 PM, Mister Scary said:

Hi. I just wanted to offer some information regarding GCC's policy and Newton Rings (NR). I recently got 38 books graded and nearly half came back with visible NR.  All of those books are graded highly (9.2 - 9.8) and (imo) the NR significantly detract from the overall appearance of the graded books. Most are in the middle of each cover and your eyes instantly focus on them. 

I called CGC Customer Support and spoke with Chris who said that CGC changed their policy earlier this month and is no longer accepting "Mechanical Error/Returns" for NR!  My timing is horrible! Chris said that reholdering them is an option but depending on the value of the book, the cost is $20 (value under $1k) and $50 (value over $1k).  Of course the value of the graded book itself isn't diminished but after discovering this post that began well over 4 years ago, you'd hope and think that CGC could produce a holder that wasn't affected by NR. Apparently they're not able to avoid this defect and as far as I know, there's no fix for the consumer.  It's frustrating and disappointing.

@CGC Mike

is this where they have gone now?

Quality Control is no longer fixing this issue that is definitely the fault of a product they have decided to use for it's "clarity " and in spite of raising prices they now also do not standing behind the product they sell? 

This is asking for back charges and stop payment on failure to provide the services paid for. 

On 4/23/2023 at 7:05 AM, Buzzetta said:

While that may be true, there are books regularly selling in the thousands of dollars there ranging on down to threads where there are $10 books.  There is a LOT of money generated there.

Respectfully I do not think they would give you the final say on something like this.  To myself and quite a few others the monetization of the for sale threads is prime for the taking. 

There was a book posted the other day for $33,000.    CGC does not want a part of that if that book sells? 

They could end the sales threads here and set something up separate from the chat boards.  They could implement their own exchange service.  They could make it incentive by offering selling access to paid members only.  Either way, within the next few years it would not surprise me to see Backstone / CGC get involved in some capacity to reap the rewards for all the items that are sold across these boards.  

They'd also be in competition with their biggest customers, the ones who "sell books" or "auction" them and they could be liable for fraudulent or non completed transactions. In the past when I've suggested taking credit cards in order to prevent shills, it was like I suggested jumping off the GW Bridge...so, nothing would shock me, but I'd be surprised.

On 4/27/2023 at 8:49 AM, Wally's Comics said:

All of these issues and they are RAISING their prices...
For the love of God, can't someone give this company some solid competition???

I literally have stacks and stacks and stacks of raw books just waiting for a solid grading service...
I would get so sick and tired of having 1 to 2 books mislabeled or man handled or worse downgraded.
It's just a crapshoot that no good paying customer should have to endure!

Submitting to CGC used to be fun & exciting, waiting in anticipation. Not so much anymore. :facepalm:

• Administrator
On 4/26/2023 at 9:48 PM, Iceman399 said:

image.thumb.png.09ff33a6727da1612d459b281366a968.png

@CGC Mike cgc can't be this dumb can they???

Nobody at customer service said that all ME's will be charged.  There will be an article coming out that will explain exactly how we will be handling ME's.  I recommend waiting for that instead of accepting random posts on the internet to be the new CGC rule.

On 4/27/2023 at 8:31 AM, CGC Mike said:

Nobody at customer service said that all ME's will be charged.  There will be an article coming out that will explain exactly how we will be handling ME's.  I recommend waiting for that instead of accepting random posts on the internet to be the new CGC rule.

emphasis mine.

Unfortunately charging customers for CGC's mistakes cannot be explained away with an article. Once CGC starts this there is only one way it goes; stricter enforcement of monetary penalties for the companies own mistakes.

I guess this is one way to stop people from asking for new holders for newton rings... not the correct one but it is technically one.

On 4/27/2023 at 8:54 AM, DougC said:

emphasis mine.

Unfortunately charging customers for CGC's mistakes cannot be explained away with an article. Once CGC starts this there is only one way it goes; stricter enforcement of monetary penalties for the companies own mistakes.

I guess this is one way to stop people from asking for new holders for newton rings... not the correct one but it is technically one.

It is quite crazy that they continue to go down this path with these cruddy cases that are being used where they will just continue to lose confidence from their customers. For example, the TAT thread here on the boards used to be hopping and now that thread is almost to a level where you hear crickets. My last 2 submissions have been a disaster, where my boxes have gotten lost in the shipping facility. If it wasn't for Mike (Mike, please never retire, you are a godsend to us all) here on the forums to actually help get them located, my previous submission would still be sitting somewhere in their receiving/shipping dept.

In my last submission, almost all 25 books cases were in fantastic shape for once. But, I had one book where the case looked like someone took it and dragged it across the floor before placing it in the box. Now it is stuff like this as to what makes me wonder, who is even doing the QC and not catching noticeable issues like this. Good thing is that the book isn't worth anything and is only Gunslinger Spawn #2 which is a PC book since I love the character. I sent it back in as an ME and hope that I get a better case this time.

Edited by captainzombie

On 4/27/2023 at 8:54 AM, DougC said:

emphasis mine.

I'll wait for the details in this alleged email, but if these items are literally called Mechanical Errors it seems like something the company making these errors should be on the hook to fix them and any associated costs.

Edited by manetteska

On 4/27/2023 at 7:31 AM, CGC Mike said:

Mike, has anyone reached out to your case supplier about their QC?  Seems like you could cut down on your complaints if you made sure that your supplier was providing unscuffed/chipped cases.  

• Administrator
On 4/27/2023 at 11:55 AM, buttock said:

Mike, has anyone reached out to your case supplier about their QC?  Seems like you could cut down on your complaints if you made sure that your supplier was providing unscuffed/chipped cases.  

I don't have the answer to this question at this time.  This thought has crossed my mind, as I am sure it has in management's as well.  I'll be making a trip to CGC hopefully by the 1st of June to look hard into QC issues and overall operations.  l will be looking closely at holders from the suppliers, holder issues, encapsulation and QC in general.  

On 4/27/2023 at 6:31 AM, CGC Mike said:

On 4/27/2023 at 6:54 AM, DougC said:

emphasis mine.

Maybe Mike was just responding to the exact verbiage in the random internet post which stated "... price hike including all mechanical errors.." {emphasis mine}

hm

Maybe?