• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,136 posts in this topic

Here's one....Transmetropolitan 1 and Runaways 1.

I was a bit miffed with the 7.0 due to "multiple stain top of back cover" I don't see any stains. I tried taking a good pic but the reflection kept making things weird. These were my comics and I never read them around food or water. And if there are stains, they are certainly hard to see so I don't know that it merits a 7.0.

I've already contacted CGC and will send these in to get new holders. They will relook at the grade too.

IMG_2424.jpg

IMG_2425.jpg

IMG_2426.jpg

IMG_2427.jpg

On 4/14/2023 at 6:39 PM, harojchang said:

I was a bit miffed with the 7.0 due to "multiple stain top of back cover" I don't see any stains. I tried taking a good pic but the reflection kept making things weird. These were my comics and I never read them around food or water. And if there are stains, they are certainly hard to see so I don't know that it merits a 7.0.

I've already contacted CGC and will send these in to get new holders. They will relook at the grade too.

IMG_2424.jpg

IMG_2425.jpg

IMG_2426.jpg

IMG_2427.jpg

Well clearly the Runaways got knocked down because it has a red banana and a blue carrot.  QC at CGC feels those are defects because they should be yellow and orange.

On 4/14/2023 at 6:16 AM, walclark said:

....  When a defect is created during a manufacturing process, reputable companies will stand behind their product regardless of who currently owns the product.

Unless they specifically state that warranties against manufacturing defects are not transferable. 

Does CGC have anything saying they warranty their product against manufacturing defects and if so, do they also explicitly say such warranty is not transferable?

IMG_2424.jpg

IMG_2425.jpg

IMG_2426.jpg

IMG_2427.jpg

Keep us posted.

*If* it's determined that the stains aren't really there, it'll go in the Phantom Flaws category ... which has, unfortunately, become quite the oft-used category.

I might've done things slightly different, though. Maybe crack it out myself to see if I can see anything. The chances of CGC admitting their incompetence are pretty slim. They seem to circle the wagons when confronted with possible wrongdoings ... "We know what we graded and we stand by it."

On 4/14/2023 at 10:53 AM, AbsoluteCarnage said:

Then I have this stunner that I've not seen happen prior. With all being said and done I guess I should have been more happy to have my name slabbed inside a CGC case with Todd McFarlane not being an artist and all but how it happened to slip by Quality Control is far beyond me........

That DM SS opp that popped up quickly had me resubbing this back in to get that cursed thing out of the well at any rate ;-)

6014974A-E8E0-491D-AD8E-A361035B90C7.thumb.jpeg.398235a412b02b610ddfcfce08fc96fd.jpeg

Wow is that funny, in a facepalm sort of way.

On 4/14/2023 at 8:22 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

That ain't a 9.8 spine.

img_1_1681525249834.thumb.jpg.b9359378e56b3a041a80fd4de48a640d.jpg

I see a future Ebay listing for this book with the disclaimer "no returns on third party graded books!" doh!

Two pulled from Ebay. Both mislabeled.

Wolverine 3rd print not labeled as such

20230416_164859.jpg.ae941deb00d937d4ce4707c0d060e42b.jpg

and a Superman 123 labeled as a 2nd print that is not.

20230416_183804.jpg.e23a333a28b57d9f552c2e74a3ccfd4f.jpg

:makepoint: seriously CGC get your chit together. 

Uh oh, got some books back. First thing I noticed is that most of my books don't have that nice little "melted crater" on the upper left side area anymore (assume where the outer slab pieces are injection molded?), but now they have a "snapped-off appearance" and superior to that area, most have another inch or more of cracking viewable from multiple angles. Normal? Something to message support about? Thanks for looking:

cgc1.thumb.jpg.ac1e75479ce57cb76cef5d2625059fe6.jpgcgc2.thumb.jpg.f584bb4f3cf8b6a270641e8de215b026.jpg

On 4/16/2023 at 5:09 PM, wolflad said:

Uh oh, got some books back. First thing I noticed is that most of my books don't have that nice little "melted crater" on the upper left side area anymore (assume where the outer slab pieces are injection molded?), but now they have a "snapped-off appearance" and superior to that area, most have another inch or more of cracking viewable from multiple angles. Normal? Something to message support about? Thanks for looking:

cgc1.thumb.jpg.ac1e75479ce57cb76cef5d2625059fe6.jpgcgc2.thumb.jpg.f584bb4f3cf8b6a270641e8de215b026.jpg

I was in informed on a prior submission about a year ago that's "normal".

IMG_2424.jpg

IMG_2425.jpg

IMG_2426.jpg

IMG_2427.jpg

I had this happen a couple of time last year. My best guess is that sometimes when graders can see the pattern from the inside of the cover showing through, and they are looking very quickly, they interpret it as a stain. I noticed that it the phantom "stains on the cover" with a really low grade always happened with thin white covers.