• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,136 posts in this topic

• Administrator
On 6/14/2023 at 9:37 PM, c_mkv said:
On 6/14/2023 at 9:01 PM, CGC Mike said:

Hi

I have asked management about this.  Due to the convention, it may take 3 business days before I can get an answer.  I will be getting back to you.

Mike 

Thanks for the update Mike - much appreciated 

Hi

Send this back to us as a reholder.  Don't worry, I will make sure we remove the reholder charge.  Be sure to write ATTN: Matt Nelson on the box, and on the packing slip.  Please send me the tracking number when you ship it, so we can be on the lookout for it.

Mike

On 6/15/2023 at 4:46 AM, Domo Arigato said:

I'm trying to figure out what the hell is going on with this book.

That upper right corner looks like it was completely torn free from the book.....as the art work from the corner piece no longer lines up with the rest of the cover.

But, then......how did it get put back almost perfectly in place?

And why does that edge of the book look like it was sonically welded into the inner well at some point.....but no longer is?

I mean.....just......:facepalm:

P.S.

:facepalm: :facepalm:

Not sure if they are plastic artifacts or not, but it looks like pieces of paper in the seam on the back cover. 

That upper right corner looks like it was completely torn free from the book.....as the art work from the corner piece no longer lines up with the rest of the cover.

And why does that edge of the book look like it was sonically welded into the inner well at some point.....but no longer is?

P.S.

It could be a bad press job.

Edited by joeypost

On 6/15/2023 at 1:08 PM, zzutak said:

Label notes capitalized.  A reliable "tell" that the grader intended this book to have a Qualified (Green) Label.  An Encapsulation Room error.

Q1.thumb.jpg.f859bd7a687ac210372078f032aa9074.jpg

Q2.thumb.png.a17abdd819379a601867a00190972279.png

wasn't there a period of time when people were submitting with custom labels to bypass the green qualified label .... this looks to be back from 2020, I believe they now have the safety net in place to prevent that from happening, no?

Edited by StillOnly25Cents

On 6/15/2023 at 1:25 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:

wasn't there a period of time when people were submitting with custom labels to bypass the green qualified label .... this looks to be back from 2020, I believe they now have the safety net in place to prevent that from happening, no?

Yes, Dylan was infamous for it.  

On 6/15/2023 at 3:46 AM, Domo Arigato said:

P.S.

I think your analysis is pretty spot on.  Someone should lose their job over this.  Not for the damage, accidents happen, but for trying to cover it up and hoping no one would notice.

On 6/15/2023 at 6:07 PM, mattn792 said:

Coming soon: the “Do not damage book” option.  Only an extra $12.50 per book!

Considering how much value you lose in a book when the grade goes down because they yoinked a corner off I'm sure people would pay for it.  Perhaps that is the plan.

On 6/15/2023 at 2:46 PM, mattn792 said:
On 6/15/2023 at 3:46 AM, Domo Arigato said:

P.S.

Expand  

I think your analysis is pretty spot on.  Someone should lose their job over this.  Not for the damage, accidents happen, but for trying to cover it up and hoping no one would notice.

how do you tear a complete corner off a book, then stick it back in and have it slabbed, and push it into the system. Yah, no one's going to notice. WTF.

On 6/15/2023 at 6:31 PM, DR.X said:

how do you tear a complete corner off a book, then stick it back in and have it slabbed, and push it into the system. Yah, no one's going to notice. WTF.

If you're CGC you just have to hope the customer doesn't inspect it closely for two weeks.

P.S.

I'm going to guess there is some sort of shaken comic syndrome going on here. Perhaps the book got wedged in the corner (I had this happen to a book I sold and shipped), and then something jostled it free but the corner was stuck, so the whole piece ripped away. It being stuck would explain the damage we see to the back edge in the original post.

On 6/15/2023 at 7:02 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Perhaps the book got wedged in the corner (I had this happen to a book I sold and shipped), and then something jostled it free but the corner was stuck, so the whole piece ripped away. It being stuck would explain the damage we see to the back edge in the original post.

Then that would raise another question. 

If the corner piece was wedged so strongly that the rest of the book was torn away from it......then why isn't that small corner piece still stuck in the seam? 

And why is that torn corner piece now aligned back up almost perfectly with the rest of the book?

On 6/15/2023 at 7:02 PM, Tnexus said:
On 6/15/2023 at 6:31 PM, DR.X said:

If you're CGC you just have to hope the customer doesn't inspect it closely for two weeks.

or is in recovery from eye surgery, wearing dark shades.

On 6/15/2023 at 7:31 PM, DR.X said:

A similar thing happened to me back in October 2022.  While the book was at CGC, the corner was torn off then reattached with tape on the inside of the cover. I didn't have a pic/scan of the book before I submitted so CGC wouldn't do anything. 

CGC basically said, "If you don't have proof, we didn't do nothing wrong.". 

It wasn't a major book so I let it go.

scan0001.thumb.jpg.851050508b710f0b88bae92895efc68f.jpg

Screenshot_20220922-120625.thumb.png.3ae73bae79b7faa0a9ef95060097ec4a.png