• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,136 posts in this topic

On 6/15/2023 at 8:27 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

A similar thing happened to me back in October 2022.  While the book was at CGC, the corner was torn off then reattached with tape on the inside of the cover. I didn't have a pic/scan of the book before I submitted so CGC wouldn't do anything. 

CGC basically said, "If you don't have proof, we didn't do nothing wrong.". 

It wasn't a major book so I let it go.

scan0001.thumb.jpg.851050508b710f0b88bae92895efc68f.jpg

Screenshot_20220922-120625.thumb.png.3ae73bae79b7faa0a9ef95060097ec4a.png

On 6/15/2023 at 8:27 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

A similar thing happened to me back in October 2022.  While the book was at CGC, the corner was torn off then reattached with tape on the inside of the cover. I didn't have a pic/scan of the book before I submitted so CGC wouldn't do anything. 

CGC basically said, "If you don't have proof, we didn't do nothing wrong.". 

It wasn't a major book so I let it go.

After seeing your taped book......and the way the ripped corner piece on that Transformers #67 is aligned back into (almost) its proper position......it make me wonder if it also wasn't taped back on after grading, but before the book went through the encapsulation process.

CGC qualifications...2 feet and a heartbeat.  I was perusing my friends recent submissions got back some 9.6's and 9.8's but that was before encapsulation.

Most look like the spine side was slightly folded to fit in the inner well.  Unsellable unless you like ripping people off.  I guess it's like the plumber's mantra.  Bleep goes down hill.  Pathetic

"Were working on it". 

On 6/17/2023 at 1:45 PM, WernerVonDoom said:

To be fair, I've had a pretty good luck with CCS, there was just this one disaster out of maybe 100 books. 

Yeah, I had good luck in general with CCS when I used them and the results were roughly in line with any other external professional presser. The only weird part of that I experienced was with a group of early TMNT books that I sent in through Comic Link that graded out way lower than I expected. Not sure whether it was super tough grading or bad pressing (those books are basically printed on toilet paper) and there was no way for me to check carefully since they went straight to auction, but I was getting 8.5s and 9.0s on books I was expecting 9.4/9.6/9.8 on. 

Edited by Stefan_W

On 4/29/2023 at 12:12 AM, Robert_L said:

So I was able so snag this book back in December. It obviously has the wrong label on it. Certification shows it, at the time, to be a 9.8, and with CGC willing to repair their label mistakes, I sent it in to be fixed.

What came back did not have the X-Men label as it did previously, and the grade dropped to a 9.6!!! That would be the first time they ever re-graded a book for a mucked up label. I know, as I have been using the ME option consistently for the last 2 years. And I have received back 9.8s in a lower grade than when I sent them in (ie manhandled), but they were never graded as such. When I called CGC about this, they said they would hunt it down and find out what happened, and for me to send it back. 3 months later, it came back with the X-Men label, and still a 9.6. No explanation as to why the grade dropped. It's like they forgot or hoped I'd forget, and just got it relabeled and sent back with no fix.

Checking the cert number shows it was graded Jan 4th, 2023. I sent the book in on Jan 10th, so their date is wrong. I can track GPA sales of this 9.8 back to August of last year. So it has been a 9.8 before until this muck up

IMG_0725.jpeg

Follow up:

First, Thank you @CGC Mike for your help. The book returned with a 9.8 grade. It doesn't have the fancy X-Men label that I originally requested, but I am going to leave it as it lays. No explanations as to what, when, or why it happened. It's like a little gremlin came long and kicked it out the door with a 9.8 label. A happy ending