• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,136 posts in this topic

On 11/2/2021 at 6:57 PM, Galen130 said:

Okay, gang.  My 20 Modern slabs arrived today...just shy of seven months since CGC received them.  For the good news...no damage to the shipping box, no broken pieces in the slabs, all labels appear to be correct (nothing missing), and overall the books/slabs look clean.  Most of them have a few small spots of Newton Rings (not a biggie to me) and some of the slabs have cosmetic and small scratches and/or scuffs, which could be on the inside.  They are very small...I'm not worried about them.

Now the bad news.  Right now, I'm trying to clarify a potential problem with each slab.  I'm working with my pressing guy as we speak...see what he thinks.  First, nineteen comics came back 9.8, one a 9.6 (I agree with it).  Very pleased, except one of the 9.8's was a gift (1st two pics).  I sent it in knowing it had an ink-breaking spine tick (not pressed).  Never had this happen before.  There are a couple small ticks that don't break color.  I don't recall those being there, but it wasn't pressed.  Another 9.8 arrived with a finger bend on the front, near the bottom (pressed)(pics 3 to 5).  I'm pretty sure this happened at CGC.  The potential problem I see on each slab is what appears to be a crack/fracture either on one side of the slab or the other...or both (pics 6 to 8).  Some are very light, some not so much.  They aren't in the same spot on every comic, but they are limited to the bottom half of the slab.  These aren't sonic welds, I believe, and they don't look right.  Whatever they are, I've never seen this before.  I even looked at slabs I received last year and didn't really notice anything.  Of course, the last batch of slabs I got back from CGC was over a year ago.  Who knows.  Now, I just have to figure out what to do with all these slabs with the odd looking 'crack'.  I have no more comics at CGC...this is my last batch.  I won't have another stressful shipment. :facepalm:

20211102_171443.jpg

20211102_171455.jpg

20211102_171658.jpg

20211102_171800.jpg

20211102_171829.jpg

20211102_171343.jpg

20211102_171403.jpg

20211102_171421.jpg

20211102_171421.jpg.5a31cf62dd8c6ae4796a

This pic bothers me, lol but it just looks like a straight up chip out of it, but is it instead a crack? Like a fault line?

That's not good :(

On 11/2/2021 at 6:15 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

20211102_171421.jpg.5a31cf62dd8c6ae4796a

This pic bothers me, lol but it just looks like a straight up chip out of it, but is it instead a crack? Like a fault line?

That's not good :(

That's what it looks like to me.  It's 'dirty' looking, not clean at all.  Almost every slab...some are hard to see but I can tell something isn't right anyway.  I can't feel anything at those sites when I run my finger along it.  I get the impression it's on the inside, or just a fracture versus a split that you can feel.  (shrug)

On 11/2/2021 at 7:24 PM, Galen130 said:

That's what it looks like to me.  It's 'dirty' looking, not clean at all.  Almost every slab...some are hard to see but I can tell something isn't right anyway.  I can't feel anything at those sites when I run my finger along it.  I get the impression it's on the inside, or just a fracture versus a split that you can feel.  (shrug)

Well if it is near the sonic weld....

Could it be they just did the weld to tight? That makes sense I guess

On 11/2/2021 at 6:26 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Well if it is near the sonic weld....

Could it be they just did the weld to tight? That makes sense I guess

What does a typical slab sonic weld look like?  Do you, or anyone, have an example picture of one?  This is something I always took for granted...never considered a weld could be anything other than 'typical'.  Lol

On 11/2/2021 at 7:34 PM, Galen130 said:

What does a typical slab sonic weld look like?  Do you, or anyone, have an example picture of one?  This is something I always took for granted...never considered a weld could be anything other than 'typical'.  Lol

20211102_194017.jpg

20211102_194121.jpg

20211102_194002.jpg

On 11/2/2021 at 8:34 PM, Galen130 said:

Please bear in mind that it is, after all, plastic. Compared to some of the horrors I've seen, this looks fairly minor...  

On 11/2/2021 at 7:46 PM, The Lions Den said:

Please bear in mind that it is, after all, plastic. Compared to some of the horrors I've seen, this looks fairly minor...  

Yes and my welds are only on one side as well, but no cracks that I see, just wanted to give an example of what it should look like.

I hope  :)

On 11/2/2021 at 6:49 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Yes and my welds are only on one side as well, but no cracks that I see, just wanted to give an example of what it should look like.

I hope  :)

As I figured…that’s what I’m used to seeing, usually on the left-hand side looking at the front, closer to the top.  What I’m seeing is something new to me, and kinda ugly.

B951C330-CD7B-462E-B798-87922830F0C0.gif

On 11/2/2021 at 7:52 PM, Galen130 said:

As I figured…that’s what I’m used to seeing, usually on the left-hand side looking at the front, closer to the top.  What I’m seeing is something new to me, and kinda ugly.

B951C330-CD7B-462E-B798-87922830F0C0.gif

@The Lions Den

I'm thinking that the case was held together a little too tight for the weld to be applied. Not knowing the set up or how often it has to be adjusted, whether between mags or other odd sizes, could it be that simple?

On 11/2/2021 at 8:56 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

@The Lions Den

I'm thinking that the case was held together a little too tight for the weld to be applied. Not knowing the set up or how often it has to be adjusted, whether between mags or other odd sizes, could it be that simple?

"So welcome...to the machine..."  (shrug)

On 11/2/2021 at 8:23 PM, The Lions Den said:

"So welcome...to the machine..."  (shrug)

"But the sun is eclipsed by the moooohhhooooo........oonnn!" :cry:

Lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Well, my go to presser seems to think that CGC may not reholder slabs for ‘fractures’ versus outright damage.  He’s got my pictures though, so he said he’d contact them and find out.  They would have to be returned under his account anyway.

The overgraded Spider-Man slab will stay in my PC, but I don’t know if anything can be done about the finger bend that showed up AFTER they received the other comic I posted.  If they won’t fix it, I won’t sell it.

If I have to keep all slabs as is, so be it.  I’m done with having comics graded…I’ll keep collecting raw books instead.  I’ve only been around graded books for about 4 years, but it has gotten off-kilter quick.  I’ve lost interest.  I’m not a speculator, nor do I have the inclination to be so.  I tested the waters, but I didn’t drown. 🤣

On 11/2/2021 at 3:07 PM, Galen130 said:

I’m guessing I’m looking at the same thing here???

C5095DB0-8E1F-4AF2-94F3-8DFBB0698049.jpeg

52AF16A4-90EF-49E5-BCBA-F23291A430A6.jpeg

That is a cracked case.  The crack is curving up like a smile.  The case should have clear plastic along the edge.  If your looking at the front cover and see a spot that is not clear, then the case is cracked or chipped along the edge where the top half of the case meets the bottom have.. 

Is this being caused from too much pressure during encapsulation process?

On 11/2/2021 at 4:57 PM, Galen130 said:

Okay, gang.  My 20 Modern slabs arrived today...just shy of seven months since CGC received them.  For the good news...no damage to the shipping box, no broken pieces in the slabs, all labels appear to be correct (nothing missing), and overall the books/slabs look clean.  Most of them have a few small spots of Newton Rings (not a biggie to me) and some of the slabs have cosmetic and small scratches and/or scuffs, which could be on the inside.  They are very small...I'm not worried about them.

Now the bad news.  Right now, I'm trying to clarify a potential problem with each slab.  I'm working with my pressing guy as we speak...see what he thinks.  First, nineteen comics came back 9.8, one a 9.6 (I agree with it).  Very pleased, except one of the 9.8's was a gift (1st two pics).  I sent it in knowing it had an ink-breaking spine tick (not pressed).  Never had this happen before.  There are a couple small ticks that don't break color.  I don't recall those being there, but it wasn't pressed.

Another 9.8 arrived with a finger bend on the front, near the bottom (pressed)(pics 3 to 5).  I'm pretty sure this happened at CGC.  This will have to be remedied.

The big potential problem I see on each slab is what appears to be a crack/fracture either on one side of the slab or the other...or both (pics 6 to 8).  Some are very light, some not so much.  They aren't in the same spot on every comic, but they are limited to the bottom half of the slab.  These aren't sonic welds, I believe, and they don't look right.  Whatever they are, I've never seen this before.  I even looked at slabs I received last year and didn't really notice anything.  Of course, the last batch of slabs I got back from CGC was over a year ago.  Who knows.  Now, I just have to figure out what to do with all these slabs with the odd looking 'crack'.  I have no more comics at CGC...this is my last batch.  I won't have another stressful shipment. :facepalm:

20211102_171443.jpg

20211102_171455.jpg

20211102_171658.jpg

20211102_171800.jpg

20211102_171829.jpg

20211102_171343.jpg

20211102_171403.jpg

20211102_171421.jpg

The slabs are indeed cracked. Anything that looks cloudy and not clear is damage to the plastic case.  Cracked or chipped.  Look at some of your older slabs from the last 6 months.  All the edges will probably be clear.  
I suspect this is happening during encapsulation with too much pressure.

On 11/2/2021 at 7:35 PM, Galen130 said:

Well, my go to presser seems to think that CGC may not reholder slabs for ‘fractures’ versus outright damage.  He’s got my pictures though, so he said he’d contact them and find out.  They would have to be returned under his account anyway.

The overgraded Spider-Man slab will stay in my PC, but I don’t know if anything can be done about the finger bend that showed up AFTER they received the other comic I posted.  If they won’t fix it, I won’t sell it.

If I have to keep all slabs as is, so be it.  I’m done with having comics graded…I’ll keep collecting raw books instead.  I’ve only been around graded books for about 4 years, but it has gotten off-kilter quick.  I’ve lost interest.  I’m not a speculator, nor do I have the inclination to be so.  I tested the waters, but I didn’t drown. 🤣

I’ve contacted CGC and they are accepting my books back for reholder.   

On 11/3/2021 at 6:17 AM, Catwomancomics said:

I’ve contacted CGC and they are accepting my books back for reholder.   

Let’s hope I can do the same.  This is unacceptable. :facepalm: