• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,124 posts in this topic

On 10/4/2021 at 6:50 PM, Number 6 said:

Yeah, I get it. 

I guess I’m just trying to convince myself that when I submit my books I’m not sending them off to Sgt. Shultz

Now with my response I just feel sheepish lol

I wish I could be as Shultz sometimes and see nothing doh!

On 10/4/2021 at 6:52 PM, Number 6 said:

At the risk of sounding like a CGC shill I have to ask:  is it possible that these label mix-ups are due to customers not packing books in the same order as the invoice?

I know when I’ve submitted books the instructions emphasize that point. Is it possible that CGC is running at such a break-neck pace that they’re just adding the label in the order that’s on the invoice without even looking at the book?

Many people who DO make excuses for CGC use that as one of their defenses.  But, I'm not sure what part of CGC comes off as "speedy" these days.... other than signature announcements.

Also, in the sample I showed with 3 books, there were 2 errors: 

1. The serial number on the book was correct for the book in the case.  The book written on the label did not go with the serial number.
  2. The obvious inability to see that  "a m a z i n g  f a n t a s y"  does not spell "Superman".

On 10/5/2021 at 4:07 PM, Sigur Ros said:

The obvious inability to see that  "a m a z i n g  f a n t a s y"  does not spell "Superman".

Maybe one of the new hires was Tom Cullen.

f8eecacebdd33218778000bd2fa1e6e8.jpg.f6419276180367e092cc84bf4bb236ab.jpg

" M-o-o-n that spells good label. "

On 10/5/2021 at 2:07 PM, Sigur Ros said:

The serial number on the book was correct for the book in the case.  The book written on the label did not go with the serial number.

Prior to this statement, the issues seemed like poor quality control at the last couple of stages before shipping.

However, this new issue has the potential to screw up the CGC database. It is potentially a software error. If this is the case, we may have a corrupted registry. And, users of the database will be screwed as well. For example, Heritage publishes CGC data for each CGC comic they sell. The data could now be wrong.

I suggest any book you receive from CGC that you check it with the CGC database to make sure everything is correct. :facepalm:

On 10/5/2021 at 5:25 PM, innocuous said:
On 10/5/2021 at 4:07 PM, Sigur Ros said:

The serial number on the book was correct for the book in the case.  The book written on the label did not go with the serial number.

Prior to this statement, the issues seemed like poor quality control at the last couple of stages before shipping.

However, this new issue has the potential to screw up the CGC database. It is potentially a software error. If this is the case, we may have a corrupted registry. And, users of the database will be screwed as well. For example, Heritage publishes CGC data for each CGC comic they sell. The data could now be wrong.

I suggest any book you receive from CGC that you check it with the CGC database to make sure everything is correct. :facepalm:

Evidently or I've heard, the cgc registry competition where you insert certs for points competitively... is rumored to be about who's stick is the biggest,..... to some BUT

It would help out if everyone did it in a case like this, as the cert would have to match the book in the registry to be added  (thumbsu

On 10/4/2021 at 6:52 PM, Number 6 said:

At the risk of sounding like a CGC shill I have to ask:  is it possible that these label mix-ups are due to customers not packing books in the same order as the invoice?

I know when I’ve submitted books the instructions emphasize that point. Is it possible that CGC is running at such a break-neck pace that they’re just adding the label in the order that’s on the invoice without even looking at the book?

Believe me, I’m not trying to make excuses for CGC or “blame the victim”, but these label errors are such obvious goofs that the logical part of me thinks there surely HAS to be some reasonable explanation for this. Otherwise, it just looks like gross incompetence. 

If that's the reason CGC uses that's got to be the dumbest excuse ever.

Q.A exists to catch mistakes like this. Their sole purpose is to catch errors before they make it out the door. I did Q.A for year at a tech firm.

If Q.A Cannot see that the label does not match the book or the book was slabbed upside down there is no real Quality

On 10/5/2021 at 8:45 PM, Ares said:

If that's the reason CGC uses that's got to be the dumbest excuse ever.

Q.A exists to catch mistakes like this. Their sole purpose is to catch errors before they make it out the door. I did Q.A for year at a tech firm.

If Q.A Cannot see that the label does not match the book or the book was slabbed upside down there is no real Quality

Or what's worse the cert doesn't match the label title, that's frightening 

I mean, really  :tonofbricks:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 10/5/2021 at 9:47 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Or what's worse the cert doesn't match the label title, that's frightening 

I mean, really  :tonofbricks:

that is bad but if someone cant see that the doom patrol label is on a Thor book were they even looking at the books before they boxed them.

Its like all they did was count the books as they went in the box

On 10/5/2021 at 9:54 PM, Ares said:

that is bad but if someone cant see that the doom patrol label is on a Thor book were they even looking at the books before they boxed them.

Its like all they did was count the books as they went in the box

There are only two options. A. No one actually looked at the book after slabbing. It is simply grabbed and boxed with no expectation of QC. B. QC is grossly incompetent and many many people should be fired. 

On 10/7/2021 at 1:25 AM, wombat said:

There are only two options. A. No one actually looked at the book after slabbing. It is simply grabbed and boxed with no expectation of QC. B. QC is grossly incompetent and many many people should be fired. 

C. All of the above. 

The simplest answer is probably usually the correct one. They introduced an unknown factor (custom labels) into their process that caused a bottleneck in an area that used to be much more accurate (encapsulation). Coupled with hiring a number of new encapsulation teams who probably aren't the same quality of comic collectors as the original teams, and who may view the encapsulation process and label printing process (without the requisite historical, comic book knowledge) as more of an assembly-line type factory job, you have the result of more human errors.

People who aren't comic collectors won't tend to take care of or handle comic books the same way as a collector will if it's only their job.  (shrug)

They just need time to get up to speed. (Which, of course, isn't of much use to the paying users.)

On 10/7/2021 at 1:17 PM, sckao said:

The simplest answer is probably usually the correct one. They introduced an unknown factor (custom labels) into their process that caused a bottleneck in an area that used to be much more accurate (encapsulation). Coupled with hiring a number of new encapsulation teams who probably aren't the same quality of comic collectors as the original teams, and who may view the encapsulation process and label printing process (without the requisite historical, comic book knowledge) as more of an assembly-line type factory job, you have the result of more human errors.

People who aren't comic collectors won't tend to take care of or handle comic books the same way as a collector will if it's only their job.  (shrug)

They just need time to get up to speed. (Which, of course, isn't of much use to the paying users.)

That doe make some sense as to why there are such bad mistakes but I wonder if its a smart business decision to hire someone with no Comics experience or knowledge for a comics related job

On 10/7/2021 at 10:17 AM, sckao said:

The simplest answer is probably usually the correct one.

True.  (thumbsu  I suspect that the Encapsulation Room crew is also serving as the Quality Control crew.  If so, this would be a huge organizational blunder.  The fox should never be put in charge of guarding the hen house.  :preach:

It's cute how people would like to think that beyond graders, there are people who are interested in comics working at CGC

Take a look at the local dynamics. Look at the local population. 

I'm fairly confident, not many are interested in comics in any way. They are interested in making minimum wage and spending it however.

It's a employees market out there right now, finding employable people is probably insanely difficult, let alone finding competence 

On 10/7/2021 at 4:57 PM, Dr. Dank said:

It's cute how people would like to think that beyond graders, there are people who are interested in comics working at CGC

Take a look at the local dynamics. Look at the local population. 

I'm fairly confident, not many are interested in comics in any way. They are interested in making minimum wage and spending it however.

It's a employees market out there right now, finding employable people is probably insanely difficult, let alone finding competence 

C20247A0-99BA-43C7-8489-7E2FFA087DDA.gif