• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,124 posts in this topic

Hold a shell to your ear, it sounds like the ocean. 

Hold a train track to your ear, eventually it'll sound like a train. 

Has anyone tagged @mnelsonCGC @CGC Miketo this thread?

I know we have a thread addressing the issues with the boards, how about a thread to address issues with encapsulation and QA?

I have been hesitant to submit anything lately with this topic gaining so much attention.

I still have a book in limbo that has a folded corner that I have yet to get a response on.

S1lower.jpg

I recently got a 15-book submission back from CGC after being away for 5+ months (modern, non-fast track).  The cases were in OK shape, but those labels:

This one is NOT the German Edition.  It's the PBBZ Comic Con and Small Press Fest exclusive from 2005. 

2021-11-25-0002.thumb.jpg.affcc9bc0938c12af9a5121fe6a23615.jpg

This one IS the German one by Dani Books released in 2020.

2021-11-25-0001.thumb.jpg.6b389f3860125fa13b4170f81f26a303.jpg

The TMNT #1 Convention Edition B from 2018 is a total mystery to me.  I didn't submit that book.  I don't even know what it looks like.  It wasn't on my packing slip.  I don't know how they came up with this label.

What's worse...looking at the CGC submission data, it appears the graders notes got flipped around on these books too.  This doesn't appear to be just a straight up switch in the labels.  These will have to be re-graded completely. 

Edited by Turtle

On 11/14/2021 at 3:56 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Has anyone tagged @mnelsonCGC @CGC Miketo this thread?

I know we have a thread addressing the issues with the boards, how about a thread to address issues with encapsulation and QA?

I have been hesitant to submit anything lately with this topic gaining so much attention.

I still have a book in limbo that has a folded corner that I have yet to get a response on.

S1lower.jpg

Right. How about instead of adding emojis and talking about grading contests they actually address this thread. One can only dream. 

So have we identified the cause of these case fractures and could they be caused by G-forces on the case during shipping? Or is the damage done during encapsulation?

They seem to occur near the same place on many of the images I've seen... On the opposite side of the sonic weld?

I just got this back unfortunately. The box was fine with no discernible outside damage... but the slab has a small fracture it seems which refracts the light when scanned.

2021-11-26-0001.jpg 2021-11-26-0002.jpg

On 11/29/2021 at 1:48 PM, Iceman399 said:

This was a friends.  Sent down for the JRJR signing.  Not only did he sign it in invisible ink CGC also put the label notes of him signing it in invisible ink :banana: 

No photo description available.

I have to laugh at this one.  What a doozy!!!! 

On 11/29/2021 at 1:52 PM, Galen130 said:

I want to "laugh" at all of these in the thread. I feel bad for the submitters and owners, but it's ridiculous. 

On 11/29/2021 at 2:48 PM, Iceman399 said:

This was a friends.  Sent down for the JRJR signing.  Not only did he sign it in invisible ink CGC also put the label notes of him signing it in invisible ink :banana: 

Here is what it says when you look up the cert...

Odd, I could have sworn looking it up would show "universal" or "signature series" 

image.thumb.png.08ccf3c417c6507c5f301ba3b0658f2f.png

On 11/29/2021 at 2:52 PM, Galen130 said:

yep!

CGC should be ashamed. I'd be fired if I were this incompetent at my day job.

So sorry for all those affected. I'm nervously awaiting a batch of books in the process of being graded...

How can anyone purchase a CGC book and be confident in the grade written on the label? Credibility is being flushed down the toilet. Very disheartening.

On 11/29/2021 at 3:48 PM, Iceman399 said:

How does CGC even begin to make the customer happy here? paid good money for Sig opp. Waited months. Gets a cluster f back. Maybe they fly a rep to JR JR place to get it signed? Full refund and label correction? At least book not damaged...Those are what worry me the most.