• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,124 posts in this topic

Customer - "WTF?"

CGC - "We're extremely busy. Waddaya expect?"

Customer - "I understand you're busy, but still."

CGC - "Deal."

@Jennifer F. " Every book that leaves our office does go through quality control. "

Some of these QC issues are dumbfounding.

On 10/30/2021 at 2:45 PM, WheresMyGlasses? said:

So this person didn't submit the book with the corner folded? Because CGC won't unfold corners like this if submitted as such.

I've had it both ways. 

Where ruffles and such were somehow evened out, then another time not. I always wondered if it depended on severity, and or, if folding it back would tear the piece.

That would probably be the main thing, risk of damaging the book, so I agree with you!

I received 53 books back from CGC this week from 3 different invoices.  47 of the 53 have cracks on the side edges where the top of the case meets the bottom of the case.  No damage to the shipping boxes.  

Wolverine 66.  On the right side near the Hulk with the baseball cap the plastic isn’t clear. B4E7B49F-0F6D-45B8-8C34-4C4521DEF19A.thumb.jpeg.26c33b83f91f80f2c822631784ac099b.jpeg67F6D643-8C31-4AB7-B000-83CC4350CFB5.thumb.jpeg.06c384dcace90a8e481fc5a3c9f16aac.jpegEC0DF1BE-921C-45A4-9119-0AECC9C94739.thumb.jpeg.82ed5460f626beea3885b6a30ec5e0b4.jpeg

On 11/2/2021 at 5:07 PM, Galen130 said:

I’m guessing I’m looking at the same thing here???

C5095DB0-8E1F-4AF2-94F3-8DFBB0698049.jpeg

52AF16A4-90EF-49E5-BCBA-F23291A430A6.jpeg

The top picture is the sonic weld for the case, I'm not sure what the bottom pic is. It looks curved but I cant figure it out, if ins the inner well or not (thumbsu

On 11/2/2021 at 4:37 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

The top picture is the sonic weld for the case, I'm not sure what the bottom pic is. It looks curved but I cant figure it out, if ins the inner well or not (thumbsu

It’s two different angles of the same slab.  Sonic weld I get, but some are pretty extreme.  They look like fractures…difficult to tell without a magnifying glass, which I don’t have. Lol.  Looking at slabs from last year, I don’t see them at all. (shrug)

On 11/2/2021 at 4:50 PM, Galen130 said:

It’s two different angles of the same slab.  Sonic weld I get, but some are pretty extreme.  They look like fractures…difficult to tell without a magnifying glass, which I don’t have. Lol.  Looking at slabs from last year, I don’t see them at all. (shrug)

BTW, it’s on the opposite side from the actual weld.  I’m thinking fracture…

On 11/2/2021 at 5:50 PM, Galen130 said:

I should be more clear. I know what it is in top pic, it's a sonic weld. I dont know what the curved part that looks like fracture in the bottom pic. Ahem, if it's not noticable running your finger of it, I wouldnt worry. However your bottom pic looks the same as the stack of 30 slabs, but your fracture is on the side and not the top.

In short without it being in hand, I'm not sure either lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 11/2/2021 at 4:55 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I should be more clear. I know what it is in top pic, it's a sonic weld. I dont know what the curved part that looks like fracture in the bottom pic. Ahem, if it's not noticable running your finger of it, I wouldnt worry. However your bottom pic looks the same as the stack of 30 slabs, but your fracture is on the side and not the top.

In short without it being in hand, I'm not sure either lol

Yeah, I’ll have to get clarification.  Those pics are of the same ‘issue’ I’m seeing on each slab to one degree or another.  I’ll take this to another thread if I need to.  Don’t wanna hijack this one. 🤣

On 11/2/2021 at 6:11 PM, Galen130 said:

Yeah, I’ll have to get clarification.  Those pics are of the same ‘issue’ I’m seeing on each slab to one degree or another.  I’ll take this to another thread if I need to.  Don’t wanna hijack this one. 🤣

This is a good thread as any to discuss. Imo

Qc etc

Still, holders or some anyway, can have tabs that hold the comic in place within the slab. Also, the seal of the mylar within the slab usually is a straight line, so the curve is what threw me off.

I'm tempted to say there is a tab holding the comic in place, because that curve of what you think is a "fracture" is too clean cut. Imo

I haven't busted enough of these out to know if the flying breaking shards are that clean cut :foryou:

Okay, gang.  My 20 Modern slabs arrived today...just shy of seven months since CGC received them.  For the good news...no damage to the shipping box, no broken pieces in the slabs, all labels appear to be correct (nothing missing), and overall the books/slabs look clean.  Most of them have a few small spots of Newton Rings (not a biggie to me) and some of the slabs have cosmetic and small scratches and/or scuffs, which could be on the inside.  They are very small...I'm not worried about them.

Now the bad news.  Right now, I'm trying to clarify a potential problem with each slab.  I'm working with my pressing guy as we speak...see what he thinks.  First, nineteen comics came back 9.8, one a 9.6 (I agree with it).  Very pleased, except one of the 9.8's was a gift (1st two pics).  I sent it in knowing it had an ink-breaking spine tick (not pressed).  Never had this happen before.  There are a couple small ticks that don't break color.  I don't recall those being there, but it wasn't pressed.

Another 9.8 arrived with a finger bend on the front, near the bottom (pressed)(pics 3 to 5).  I'm pretty sure this happened at CGC.  This will have to be remedied.

The big potential problem I see on each slab is what appears to be a crack/fracture either on one side of the slab or the other...or both (pics 6 to 8).  Some are very light, some not so much.  They aren't in the same spot on every comic, but they are limited to the bottom half of the slab.  These aren't sonic welds, I believe, and they don't look right.  Whatever they are, I've never seen this before.  I even looked at slabs I received last year and didn't really notice anything.  Of course, the last batch of slabs I got back from CGC was over a year ago.  Who knows.  Now, I just have to figure out what to do with all these slabs with the odd looking 'crack'.  I have no more comics at CGC...this is my last batch.  I won't have another stressful shipment. :facepalm:

20211102_171443.jpg

20211102_171455.jpg

20211102_171658.jpg

20211102_171800.jpg

20211102_171829.jpg

20211102_171343.jpg

20211102_171403.jpg

20211102_171421.jpg

Edited by Galen130