• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,136 posts in this topic

On 12/14/2021 at 7:57 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I guess technically they made an announcement that they'd have it more streamlined in December.  Last I sent in was in November,  but the 6th was a week ago and hasn't been marked received so I thought the "streamline" was hogwash. doh!

When were yours delivered? Any idea?

Supposed to show up tomorrow. 

Currently camping out on my front step while my neighbors stare at me out their windows

I'm done with the whole scene anyway...I'm good with it. Now they just have to fix two more mechanicals and I'm out for good.  I'm glad things are appearing to turn around though. (thumbsu

On 12/14/2021 at 8:58 PM, The Meta said:

Supposed to show up tomorrow. 

Currently camping out on my front step while my neighbors stare at me out their windows

Lol congrats!

:shy:

I meant delivered to cgc?

You said a week, so didnt know if they got marked received right away, unlike mine.

Still I'd be camped outside waiting too lol

On 12/14/2021 at 7:59 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Lol congrats!

:shy:

I meant delivered to cgc?

You said a week, so didnt know if they got marked received right away, unlike mine.

Still I'd be camped outside waiting too lol

I think they were sent on the 1st or something. Received the 6th

On 12/14/2021 at 6:27 PM, Iceman399 said:

These books were graded a 9.8...then the gorillas got to it before encapsulation. (Not my books posted on facebook)

No photo description available.No photo description available.

Ok, so it’s not just my imagination. 

I had submitted some books in the year prior to the COVID Crush and there was a couple of the 9.6/9.8s that had spine pinches - not as bad as that book - that I’m pretty sure weren’t there before (of course, I don’t have before scans) and I would think that would disqualify them from the grade on the label.

At the time I chalked it up to just being hyper-sensitive, but now I’m seriously thinking they got the gorilla treatment. 

Before the start of this thread I had at least a three dozen or more books I wanted to send to for grading.  But after seeing all this I’ve whittled it down to about 5 or 6 that I’d really like to submit….and even then only after these QC issues get rectified…whenever that is.

So what’s our gauge for when these QC issues are fixed since there’s never going to be a 100% error-free output? How do we know when it’s “all-clear”…if ever?

I guess we need a companion thread to this:  Are CGC QC Screw-Ups Still On The Rise Or Have They Eased Up A Bit?

On 12/14/2021 at 9:08 PM, Number 6 said:

Ok, so it’s not just my imagination. 

I had submitted some books in the year prior to the COVID Crush and there was a couple of the 9.6/9.8s that had spine pinches - not as bad as that book - that I’m pretty sure weren’t there before (of course, I don’t have before scans) and I would think that would disqualify them from the grade on the label.

At the time I chalked it up to just being hyper-sensitive, but now I’m seriously thinking they got the gorilla treatment. 

Before the start of this thread I had at least a three dozen or more books I wanted to send to for grading.  But after seeing all this I’ve whittled it down to about 5 or 6 that I’d really like to submit….and even then only after these QC issues get rectified…whenever that is.

So what’s our gauge for when these QC issues are fixed since there’s never going to be a 100% error-free output? How do we know when it’s “all-clear”…if ever?

I guess we need a companion thread to this:  Are CGC QC Screw-Ups Still On The Rise Or Have They Eased Up A Bit?

I honestly thought this Campbell was 9.2 before press.... just amazeballs an 8.5

2021_11_29 10_46 AM Office Lens.jpg

On 12/15/2021 at 10:09 AM, Ride the Tiger said:

I think the name, address and phone number of the grader and QC person should be included with your slabs.

While I think this could be a problem. I do believe there should be some way to track who handled each step of the process so they can try to start having some accountability.  20211215_115811.jpg.306bc0767efd39b3b14ceee772a90aca.jpg

Have some creases on the spine on the front, and a slab "post" indent on the back, just above the R in Robocop. This isnt the first time Ive seen a post dimple. I also have one on a Alien issue 4 on the front cover that was a 9.6

20211216_134128.jpg

20211216_134118.jpg

20211216_134149.jpg

On 12/16/2021 at 3:43 PM, The Meta said:

Have some creases on the spine on the front, and a slab "post" indent on the back, just above the R in Robocop. This isnt the first time Ive seen a post dimple. I also have one on a Alien issue 4 on the front cover that was a 9.6

20211216_134128.jpg

20211216_134118.jpg

20211216_134149.jpg

Was the book pressed? That looks like something got pressed into the book during a press. Since encapsulation comes after the grading process, I don't think a "post dimple" would affect the grade.  

On 12/17/2021 at 7:45 AM, Monster's Lair Comics said:

Was the book pressed? That looks like something got pressed into the book during a press. Since encapsulation comes after the grading process, I don't think a "post dimple" would affect the grade.  

True, the possibility of a post dimple makes more sense to occur after grading, I actually have an example, an Aliens 9.6 that has two post dimples, that of which there is no way its a 9.6.

The book was pressed, but the book doesnt look like that is the issue, it looks like it was opened in a rough way. Its not consistent with waves and ripples from too much moisture.

As Buzzetta had stated, the book is probably an 8.5 for another reason, I need to take a look at the grader notes to find out for sure 

On 12/19/2021 at 3:34 AM, Domo Arigato said:

Action Comics #63 CGC 5.0 in upcoming ComicLink auction

Shouldn't this have a green (Qualified) label?

Action63cgc.thumb.jpg.d453e24571dc2946539579d5f67b0d19.jpg

No I don't believe so. I have two cover detached slabs, both are blue label. Silver surfer#1 and I believe a fantastic four #23.

On 12/14/2021 at 10:21 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I honestly thought this Campbell was 9.2 before press.... just amazeballs an 8.5

2021_11_29 10_46 AM Office Lens.jpg

Is it just me or is the top right corner damaged? It looks somewhat worn and exhibits a colour-breaking crease to the left of the "S" in "COMICS." If so damaged, then there's no way this would be deserving of 9.2.

Edited by KEY ISSUES Comics

On 12/19/2021 at 10:59 AM, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

Is it just me or is the top right corner damaged? It looks somewhat worn and exhibits a colour-breaking crease to the left of the "S" in "COMICS." If so damaged, then there's no way this would be deserving of 9.2.

Ya I wasn't sure if that finger bend that breaks color was there at first, I don't remember it. I remember a finger bend, but I thought a press would do the trick.

Could be it was worse than I thought 🤔

On 12/19/2021 at 7:34 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

They are more lenient on the golden age. I think they drop the grade slightly for the detached cover.

On 12/19/2021 at 8:34 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

No I don't believe so. I have two cover detached slabs, both are blue label. Silver surfer#1 and I believe a fantastic four #23.

What grades are they?

On 12/19/2021 at 10:12 AM, jcjames said:

Yeah. They do take it out of the  big corner number though. 

That AC presents a lot nicer than "5.0"

And are you guys seriously saying that a blue label 5.0 can have a fully detached cover these days? 

I don't care what era the book is from, if it's now acceptable for a 5.0 to have a completely detached cover, then that's just one more reason to add to the list of why I don't collect much anymore.

But it also looks like my opinion is in the minority these days, so carry on. :hi:

Edited by Domo Arigato