• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,136 posts in this topic

On 12/19/2021 at 2:55 PM, Domo Arigato said:

What grades are they?

And are you guys seriously saying that a blue label 5.0 can have a fully detached cover these days? 

I don't care what era the book is from, if it's now acceptable for a 5.0 to have a completely detached cover, then that's just one more reason to add to the list of why I don't collect much anymore.

But it also looks like that's the minority thinking these days, so carry on. :hi:

I've seen an X-Men 101 universal blue label with Name written on cover in marker, which should have been Qualified? I think that is the same case, you can bump down the grade for a Universal label........(shrug)

On 12/19/2021 at 3:55 PM, Domo Arigato said:

What grades are they?

And are you guys seriously saying that a blue label 5.0 can have a fully detached cover these days? 

I don't care what era the book is from, if it's now acceptable for a 5.0 to have a completely detached cover, then that's just one more reason to add to the list of why I don't collect much anymore.

But it also looks like that's the minority thinking these days, so carry on. :hi:

You know a lot of golden age books get an almost automatic grade bump, this one presents very nicely so they gave it more than a grade bump. Heck, I used to have a 9.6 copper book with ten cb spine creases. It happens. 

On 12/19/2021 at 5:00 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

I've seen an X-Men 101 universal blue label with Name written on cover in marker, which should have been Qualified? I think that is the same case, you can bump down the grade for a Universal label........(shrug)

I understand that, but Overstreet doesn't allow a fully detached cover in a book above 2.0 grade.  

Yes.....CGC isn't Overstreet and they don't publish their grading standards.....and yes, the book presents nicely.

I don't care......a 5.0 shouldn't have a fully detached cover.  Nobody is going to convince me otherwise. (shrug)

From their own website:

"A Qualified label is used by CGC for collectibles that have a significant defect that needs specific description...avoiding a considerably lower grade."

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 12/19/2021 at 5:06 PM, jcjames said:

You know a lot of golden age books get an almost automatic grade bump, this one presents very nicely so they gave it more than a grade bump.

Which was my original point.

That's what the green label is supposed to be for.  

On 12/19/2021 at 6:12 PM, jcjames said:

Yeah. But Golden Age.... :D

Yeah.....I've known about the "Golden Age" bump since CGC started.

But there's bumping it.......and then there's beating the ever loving s**t out of it. lol

On 12/19/2021 at 7:20 PM, Domo Arigato said:

But there's bumping it.......and then there's beating the ever loving s**t out of it. lol

Thankfully you’ve given up on the bold font ^^

On 12/19/2021 at 6:21 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Thankfully you’ve given up on the bold font ^^

Do you mean the black font?

I can't stand the standard gray font that the forum uses, especially on a phone where it's harder to read, so I often change it.

Now get off my lawn.

On 12/19/2021 at 6:20 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Lol come to think of it, both of mine were 2.0 (thumbsu

You weren't that specific in your original post. A picture of a detached cover, asking shouldn't it be green label?

Yes, 5.0 would be a steep curve if they "ever" put detached covers in a green or what not. That I dont know either.

As far as the grade or bump or etc. I didnt know that was the question. Seems like I HAVE seen that kind of grade before with a detached cover, but I couldn't state why :shy:

Your post did make me chuckle, cause I tend to agree, but I know submission creases can grade that high.

So idk. :)

On 12/19/2021 at 7:12 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Lol come to think of it, both of mine were 2.0 (thumbsu

You weren't that specific in your original post. A picture of a detached cover, asking shouldn't it be green label?

Yes, 5.0 would be a steep curve if they "ever" put detached covers in a green or what not. That I dont know either.

As far as the grade or bump or etc. I didnt know that was the question. Seems like I HAVE seen that kind of grade before with a detached cover, but I couldn't state why :shy:

Your post did make me chuckle, cause I tend to agree, but I know submission creases can grade that high.

So idk. :)

A 2.0 makes sense, as that's what Overstreet lists as the highest grade allowed with a detached cover.

But I'm not sure what you mean by saying I wasn't specific in my original post.  I thought the point would be clear with a large picture of a 5.0 blue label book with a detached cover notation. (shrug)

Obviously a low grade book is allowed to have a detached cover......but a 5.0 shouldn't have one.

I will agree that a 2.0 blue label would look odd on a book that presents this nicely.....but that's exactly why CGC came up with the green label.  A book that would grade considerably higher if not for a significant defect.  This book is a prime example of what the green label was created for.  But there is no way it should get a 5.0 blue label if the submitter declines to go with the green one.

On 12/19/2021 at 8:49 PM, Domo Arigato said:

A 2.0 makes sense, as that's what Overstreet lists as the highest grade allowed with a detached cover.

But I'm not sure what you mean by saying I wasn't specific in my original post.  I thought the point would be clear with a large picture of a 5.0 blue label book with a detached cover notation. (shrug)

Obviously a low grade book is allowed to have a detached cover......but a 5.0 shouldn't have one.

I will agree that a 2.0 blue label would look odd on a book that presents this nicely.....but that's exactly why CGC came up with the green label.  A book that would grade considerably higher if not for a significant defect.  This book is a prime example of what the green label was created for.  But there is no way it should get a 5.0 blue label if the submitter declines to go with the green one.

How about we compromise at 3.5 

• Administrator

I have seen books graded as high as a 5.0 with the cover detached.  I only spent a minute looking, and this 4.0 with tape doesn't look anywhere as nice as the single staple, 5.0 Action.  I don't think that label is a quality control issue.  

lf?set=path%5B2%2F5%2F2%2F6%2F8%2F252686

On 12/19/2021 at 7:58 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

How about we compromise at 3.5 

I'm for calling it what the actual grade should be with a detached cover (impossible to tell from just the cover....but definitely not a 5.0).

Or call it what it presents like if ignoring the detached cover and giving it a green label (likely higher than a 5.0).

On 12/19/2021 at 8:01 PM, CGC Mike said:

I have seen books graded as high as a 5.0 with the cover detached.  I only spent a minute looking, and this 4.0 with tape doesn't look anywhere as nice as the single staple, 5.0 Action.  I don't think that label is a quality control issue.  

Sadly, I'm beginning to think it's not a quality control issue either,

I'm also thinking it's strange that I'm debating on whether a 5.0 should have a completely detached cover......on a forum dedicated to comic book grading.

This book was graded ten years ago.  Didn't CGC stop putting these notations on the label sometime after that?  If this book was submitted for a new label, could they have that notation removed, or am I misremembering?

Either way.....what the hell do I know?  Apparently not much.

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 12/19/2021 at 8:34 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Action Comics #63 CGC 5.0 in upcoming ComicLink auction

Shouldn't this have a green (Qualified) label?

Action63cgc.thumb.jpg.d453e24571dc2946539579d5f67b0d19.jpg

I'm with Domo

I don't care how old the book is, or how nice it looks.

Since when have books with fully detached covers - two big ol' holes in the spine - get a 5.0?

Total BS gift grade.

No offence to the owner - you didn't grade it - but a 5.0?

Laughing.gif.5b0a628274468846c2896474aefd7b12.gif

On 12/19/2021 at 11:05 PM, Beige said:

I'm with Domo

Since when have books with fully detached covers - two big ol' holes in the spine - get a 5.0?

Total BS gift grade.

I agree. The whole point of a green label is to grade an otherwise great looking book that has a glaring flaw. This is exactly the kind of book a green label is for, to avoid getting the technical 2.0 grade for a detached cover.

On 12/20/2021 at 10:42 AM, Domo Arigato said:

Do you mean the black font?

I can't stand the standard gray font that the forum uses, especially on a phone where it's harder to read, so I often change it.

Now get off my lawn.

And now I can't unsee that. Great, Domo. :shy:

On 12/19/2021 at 11:05 PM, Beige said:

I'm with Domo

Total BS gift grade.

No offence to the owner - you didn't grade it - but a 5.0?

Laughing.gif.5b0a628274468846c2896474aefd7b12.gif

When I was a grader at cgc, the highest a book could receive with a detached cover was 4.5, 6.5 for a detached centerfold. Apparently, since then, they raised those grades to 5.0 and 7.0.

The competition uses the former grading scale, but either way, if you take a 9.8 book and detach the cover, a 4.5 or 5.0 is a significant drop from 9.8. If the book is otherwise a 7.0, the grade may drop to 3.0 if the cover was also detached. It’s a bit of a sliding scale. A 1.0 with a detached cover would still be a 1.0.

The other thing to consider with this particular book is that it appears to be a single staple book. Many books from the late golden age period were only stapled together with a single staple in the middle of the spine.  That makes it incredibly easy to make these detached.  The cover condition looks to be in wonderful shape, and with something like a single detached staple, how they decided to do a 5.0 on what would normally be a 4.5 top grade book.