• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,124 posts in this topic

On 12/7/2021 at 8:14 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

They're getting close. 

1365048752_CGCnolabel.jpg.b6c6a4b4bc945ba4928ae8065ec93906.jpg

Oy vey. Now, I may begin to worry about submitting even the modern comic books I do because I like the covers and wish to add them to my CGC collection.

On 12/14/2021 at 6:31 AM, Larryw7 said:

And that post got locked. Nothing to see here, just a colossal mistake on a 50 grand book from the most controversial pedigree ever, offered by the shadiest of auction houses.

That is shameful. Zero reason to lock that thread. 

• Administrator
On 12/14/2021 at 8:49 AM, wombat said:
On 12/14/2021 at 6:31 AM, Larryw7 said:

And that post got locked. Nothing to see here, just a colossal mistake on a 50 grand book from the most controversial pedigree ever, offered by the shadiest of auction houses.

That is shameful. Zero reason to lock that thread. 

The thread is unlocked.  

On 12/14/2021 at 11:30 AM, Brock said:

Just spotted this one on eBay:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/384581248026?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Harley Quinn (2014) #1 2nd print with a cover by Clay Mann labelled as a #1 1st print variant cover by Adam Hughes. 

186040955_Screenshot_20211214-1135132.png.e2ed9b8398e68c8bf4d3bcdff975f04d.png

On 11/2/2021 at 5:57 PM, Galen130 said:

Okay, gang.  My 20 Modern slabs arrived today...just shy of seven months since CGC received them.  For the good news...no damage to the shipping box, no broken pieces in the slabs, all labels appear to be correct (nothing missing), and overall the books/slabs look clean.  Most of them have a few small spots of Newton Rings (not a biggie to me) and some of the slabs have cosmetic and small scratches and/or scuffs, which could be on the inside.  They are very small...I'm not worried about them.

Now the bad news.  Right now, I'm trying to clarify a potential problem with each slab.  I'm working with my pressing guy as we speak...see what he thinks.  First, nineteen comics came back 9.8, one a 9.6 (I agree with it).  Very pleased, except one of the 9.8's was a gift (1st two pics).  I sent it in knowing it had an ink-breaking spine tick (not pressed).  Never had this happen before.  There are a couple small ticks that don't break color.  I don't recall those being there, but it wasn't pressed.

Another 9.8 arrived with a finger bend on the front, near the bottom (pressed)(pics 3 to 5).  I'm pretty sure this happened at CGC.  This will have to be remedied.

The big potential problem I see on each slab is what appears to be a crack/fracture either on one side of the slab or the other...or both (pics 6 to 8).  Some are very light, some not so much.  They aren't in the same spot on every comic, but they are limited to the bottom half of the slab.  These aren't sonic welds, I believe, and they don't look right.  Whatever they are, I've never seen this before.  I even looked at slabs I received last year and didn't really notice anything.  Of course, the last batch of slabs I got back from CGC was over a year ago.  Who knows.  Now, I just have to figure out what to do with all these slabs with the odd looking 'crack'.  I have no more comics at CGC...this is my last batch.  I won't have another stressful shipment. :facepalm:

20211102_171443.jpg

20211102_171455.jpg

20211102_171658.jpg

20211102_171800.jpg

20211102_171829.jpg

20211102_171343.jpg

20211102_171403.jpg

20211102_171421.jpg

Well, that wasn't so bad timeframe-wise.  All 20 of my Mechanicals came back today.  I'm going through them now, but I wanted to post this picture.  Someone else may have mentioned this in the thread already.  Is this the new way of packing slabs, or are Mechanicals coming back shipped differently to avoid more mechanical returns??? lol Lots of bubble wrap...no corrugated cardboard sides or bottom now. 

20211214_121726.jpg

On 12/14/2021 at 12:27 PM, Galen130 said:

Well, that wasn't so bad timeframe-wise.  All 20 of my Mechanicals came back today.  I'm going through them now, but I wanted to post this picture.  Someone else may have mentioned this in the thread already.  Is this the new way of packing slabs, or are Mechanicals coming back shipped differently to avoid more mechanical returns??? lol Lots of bubble wrap...no corrugated cardboard sides or bottom now. 

20211214_121726.jpg

Here we go!!!

All of the slabs have new plastic...no cracks and/or fractures!!!  WOOT!!!

Two of the slabs have the wrong labels.  I will have to return them.  doh!doh!doh!doh!:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Last, as mentioned in my own quote a couple posts up, one slab that had a visible finger-bend on the front cover was NOT fixed.  Again, this was a comic that @Tony S had pressed for me (at his suggestion).  That bend was done by CGC...99.99999% certain.

As a whole...swing and a miss!!  But out of 20 Mechanical resubmits, 17 good slabs ain't too shabby.  Now I gotta return the other 2, or 3 if I try to get CGC to press that one comic.  Still not impressed, still not happy, still not sending anymore comics to CGC for grading.  Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go scream into a pillow...

Dog Says Stop.jpeg

On 12/14/2021 at 2:52 PM, Galen130 said:

Here we go!!!

All of the slabs have new plastic...no cracks and/or fractures!!!  WOOT!!!

Two of the slabs have the wrong labels.  I will have to return them.  doh!doh!doh!doh!:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Last, as mentioned in my own quote a couple posts up, one slab that had a visible finger-bend on the front cover was NOT fixed.  Again, this was a comic that @Tony S had pressed for me (at his suggestion).  That bend was done by CGC...99.99999% certain.

As a whole...swing and a miss!!  But out of 20 Mechanical resubmits, 17 good slabs ain't too shabby.  Now I gotta return the other 2, or 3 if I try to get CGC to press that one comic.  Still not impressed, still not happy, still not sending anymore comics to CGC for grading.  Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go scream into a pillow...

Dog Says Stop.jpeg

That is terrible. I can't believe you have to go through submitting them again to get fixed. 

On 12/14/2021 at 11:27 AM, Galen130 said:

20211214_121726.jpg

This makes more sense if external side pressure on a fully packed carton can transfer the pressure to the slabs inside with the old design. You want the shock or pressure wave to dissipate along the internal cardboard load-bearing struts and wall of the box itself when it flexes.

The top cardboard slab already does that because the vertical cardboard walls are higher than the slabs and take the pressure from above. The what look like empty shipping boxes on the end is what I use as well in my long boxes. (They look similar to the comic shipping boxes that hold about 10 comics in my case that you can put into a USPS padded Priority Envelope.) The lack of bottom padding is a bit concerning though as my delivery people tend to just drop my packages onto my porch much of the time.

(To answer the question, "How do you safely ship 25 plastic cases ultrasonic welded and held together in basically only a few places.")

So is this the answer? hm

Or do we need a martial arts expert to hit a fully loaded box of slabs as an experiment?

Edited by sckao

On 12/14/2021 at 12:59 PM, wombat said:

That is terrible. I can't believe you have to go through submitting them again to get fixed. 

Now I just have to call or email them and start the process again.  I haven't had to do that yet...my pressing guy took care of the first round because it was submitted under his account.  I didn't renew my account, so this should be interesting. :facepalm:

On 12/14/2021 at 4:12 PM, Galen130 said:

Now I just have to call or email them and start the process again.  I haven't had to do that yet...my pressing guy took care of the first round because it was submitted under his account.  I didn't renew my account, so this should be interesting. :facepalm:

I would think it still had to go through him. That was the account that submitted them.