• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,432 posts in this topic

On 3/5/2022 at 8:57 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

An interesting book with a great cover; but I've never been too interested in buying what is basically a reprint book at the substantial price it brings. I'm a Barks guy and this issue doesn't do too much for me. Early WDC&S are more appealing to me in the non-Barks realm due to the variety of work in those issues and oft times relative affordability. Good luck in the search though.

I agree, Barks or nothing for collecting.

On 3/5/2022 at 11:57 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

An interesting book with a great cover; but I've never been too interested in buying what is basically a reprint book at the substantial price it brings. I'm a Barks guy and this issue doesn't do too much for me. Early WDC&S are more appealing to me in the non-Barks realm due to the variety of work in those issues and oft times relative affordability. Good luck in the search though.

I’m an OCD completist 😭

Wow, those are cool. I would imagine even over there that would be a hard task.

I'm covered for #1-40. I used to think, I should find the last 32 Barks issues and bind them like this. But it just turned out to be not worth the time or money to do so.

And, no, I did not bind these. Just bought them this way.  

bvunclescrooge1.jpg

bvunclescrooge2.jpg

bvunclescrooge3.jpg

bvunclescrooge4.jpg

bvunclescrooge5.jpg

bvunclescrooge6.jpg

On 3/10/2022 at 10:52 AM, Yellow Kid said:

Your Scrooge and Duck Four Color sets could get me interested in bound volumes--just beautiful.

There was a bound volume of WDC&S issues 1-12 for sale at a collector's store in Burbank back in the early to mid nineties. I think it was an auction I had seen in the Buyer's Guide. I remember going over to look at it and it was quite nice. I sure wish I had picked it up but I was probably saving money for other things at the time.

On 3/11/2022 at 5:59 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

There was a bound volume of WDC&S issues 1-12 for sale at a collector's store in Burbank back in the early to mid nineties. I think it was an auction I had seen in the Buyer's Guide. I remember going over to look at it and it was quite nice. I sure wish I had picked it up but I was probably saving money for other things at the time.

I would contemplate how many kidneys a man really needs for that one!

On 3/10/2022 at 10:59 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

A Bay Area dealer had a nice volume of Looney Tunes #1-12 at a local toy show a few years ago. Was real interested and I was real willing to step up but he wanted a jaw dropping price. Sure was cool though. 

On 3/10/2022 at 10:52 AM, Yellow Kid said:

Your Scrooge and Duck Four Color sets could get me interested in bound volumes--just beautiful.

They are a very convenient way to read vintage comics in their original form. They used to be very reasonable price wise but people recognized what a great deal they were and like everything have risen a lot in price.

I have a lot of them. I used to buy them anytime I could find them but haven’t found a good one in years.

The Duck and Scrooge volumes were purchased from a local guy. He bought a lot of them from Cherokee books in the late 1960’s. A lot he bought new. When he finished, he bound them. I think the Mummy’s Ring has $6.50 penciled at the top of the splash page.

He told me his brother bought ECs and did the same thing. I asked about them but they were long gone…:sorry:

This discussion raises an interesting question:  How to you like to read your Barks?  The originals?  The “reprinted by popular demand” Gold Keys?  The later Gold Key/ Whitman Reprints?  The Gladstone/Disney/Gemstone reprints?  Bound volumes? Trade paperbacks? Foreign issues?  Others?

I prefer either the originals, or the early Gold Key reprints which were my introduction to The Good Duck Artist.  While the print quality of the later reprints were outstanding, I love the color and feel of the old newsprint paper.

What does everyone else think?

On 3/11/2022 at 2:50 PM, pooroldman said:

This discussion raises an interesting question:  How to you like to read your Barks?  The originals?  The “reprinted by popular demand” Gold Keys?  The later Gold Key/ Whitman Reprints?  The Gladstone/Disney/Gemstone reprints?  Bound volumes? Trade paperbacks? Foreign issues?  Others?

I prefer either the originals, or the early Gold Key reprints which were my introduction to The Good Duck Artist.  While the print quality of the later reprints were outstanding, I love the color and feel of the old newsprint paper.

All of the above! I must have some of those stories eight times in various formats. And I can read and enjoy all of them at various times.

On 3/10/2022 at 10:50 PM, pooroldman said:

I like the originals and the gladstones.    

On 3/10/2022 at 7:50 PM, pooroldman said:

I really prefer the Dell/Gold Key originals mainly because I like to see how the comic was originally presented with the backup features ads and original binding. Even though I grew up on the Gold Key reprints the quality had somewhat declined from the original Dell books. A second choice would be some of the later Gladstone/Gemstone issues. The Disney books seemed pretty bad though I have very few.

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

On 3/11/2022 at 2:22 PM, Stingrayiii said:

Digital... I don't want to mess up the book more then I have to.

https://readcomiconline.li/Comic/Uncle-Scrooge-1953/Issue-1?id=57777

This has become a dilemma for me too as these books have become more valuable. I'll gladly read a book that is F-VF or so but when they start looking better than that I find myself not wanting to damage them in any way. Luckily many of my duck books were well loved or doubles and I can pull them out for a good read when I get the inkling.