• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
33 33

4,168 posts in this topic

On 1/7/2023 at 7:52 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

It's pretty typical for Priority shipping, I think if you wanted to do it up special there is a priority box that fits inside another Priority box that still makes room for padding. Not always necessary, I even had one recently double boxed like that recently that still got "damaged" with no signs on the outer box, which felt fishy, but benefit of the doubt kind of thing. 

In short, do they best you can within reason, and know that anything can basically happen lol but to be able and say, "you did all that you could do!" It goes a long way :cheers: 

This triple posted @CGC Mike

although I hit "submit" but it never showed up as submitted, so I refreshed and submitted the 3rd button click, yet it had gone through the 1st 2 times and I didn't know until the 3rd finally showed up lol 

:ohnoez: run on sentence! 

On 1/7/2023 at 7:52 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

It's pretty typical for Priority shipping, I think if you wanted to do it up special there is a priority box that fits inside another Priority box that still makes room for padding. Not always necessary, I even had one recently double boxed like that recently that still got "damaged" with no signs on the outer box, which felt fishy, but benefit of the doubt kind of thing. 

In short, do they best you can within reason, and know that anything can basically happen lol but to be able and say, "you did all that you could do!" It goes a long way :cheers: 

For more expensive books that are a few hundred dollars is shipping USPS Priority Mail fine or do you go with UPS or FedEx?

On 1/7/2023 at 8:03 PM, paullam15 said:

For more expensive books that are a few hundred dollars is shipping USPS Priority Mail fine or do you go with UPS or FedEx?

insurance is the deal. you can only insure packages through USPS for more than $100 if you do registered mail, and I'm not sure about the other 2. There is 3rd party insurance as well, that should answer your question.

If you're asking which carrier destroys less packages? That is an impossible guess, as every local office is different and has a different level of skilled seasoned workers :) 

you'd have to ask any buyer which they prefer, but insurance is the main thing, as when listing on ebay you need to state how you'll ship up front, leaving it out of the "buyers hands" :cheers: 

Anyone know a good way to speak with a representative at eBay

I have a problem and click on the “contact us” button at the bottom of the page and I’m brought to the option of getting a call back from eBay (I’ve tried several times and I get the same reply that they tried to contact me but can’t. ) or the useless automated loop.

On 1/8/2023 at 11:39 PM, Junkdrawer said:

Anyone know a good way to speak with a representative at eBay

I have a problem and click on the “contact us” button at the bottom of the page and I’m brought to the option of getting a call back from eBay (I’ve tried several times and I get the same reply that they tried to contact me but can’t. ) or the useless automated loop.

Check to see if the number is blocked, I have a house phone that was a "gift" that doesn't let me get call backs. It asks all kinds of questions and the auto call backs, don't reply.

I don't mind because anyone who really knows me, has my cell number...but unless I enter the number in my "list" they can't get through.

This is an old phone number I have

(866) 348-9519 

and I found this on the web 866 961-9253

On 1/9/2023 at 12:13 AM, skypinkblu said:

Check to see if the number is blocked, I have a house phone that was a "gift" that doesn't let me get call backs. It asks all kinds of questions and the auto call backs, don't reply.

I don't mind because anyone who really knows me, has my cell number...but unless I enter the number in my "list" they can't get through.

This is an old phone number I have

(866) 348-9519 

and I found this on the web 866 961-9253

Thanks Sharon. I was using my cell. My number has never changed in over 25 years. It’s been on file and associated with my eBay account since I registered with them and I have never had a more difficult time trying to speak with someone. They used to give you a number and a PIN number. 

Anyone know why a potential buyer wouldn't be able to make an offer on a listing that has Best Offer enabled (with no minimum)? Is it because they've got strikes against them or fall under my buyer requirement stipulations (e.g., x number of cancellations within x months, locations, etc.)? Someone supposedly says they can't put in an offer and want me to do it on my end by lowering the price on a listing...is it a scam?

On 1/9/2023 at 7:53 PM, 850chris said:

Anyone know why a potential buyer wouldn't be able to make an offer on a listing that has Best Offer enabled (with no minimum)? Is it because they've got strikes against them or fall under my buyer requirement stipulations (e.g., x number of cancellations within x months, locations, etc.)? Someone supposedly says they can't put in an offer and want me to do it on my end by lowering the price on a listing...is it a scam?

If they can’t make an offer, I would assume they won’t be permitted to pull the trigger either....

On 1/9/2023 at 4:53 PM, 850chris said:

You're not set to vacation mode are you? That can be set to block offers while away.

On 1/9/2023 at 8:41 PM, Tnexus said:

You're not set to vacation mode are you? That can be set to block offers while away.

Nah, I wasn’t on vacay mode. Just double-checked to be sure I didn’t do it accidentally. Oh well…I eventually ignored them and they then contacted me again under a different account so I’m inclined to think there was something fishy going on….

On 1/9/2023 at 9:49 PM, 850chris said:

Nah, I wasn’t on vacay mode. Just double-checked to be sure I didn’t do it accidentally. Oh well…I eventually ignored them and they then contacted me again under a different account so I’m inclined to think there was something fishy going on….

Yep, scammer, pass them by without a second thought. 

I ran into something strange the other day on ebay.

Someone made an offer that was within my threshold of acceptable bids. I did not look at it very hard other than my usual criteria (checking the feedback, how long the buyer has been around etc). I accepted their offer which SHOULD come with the calculated amount for shipping. Somehow the buyer figured out how to alter the shipping to FREE SHIPPING which made the sale a loser for me. So I cancelled it, blocked them, and ignored their complaining and questions about what happened. I am not going to tolerate that type of spoon.

I just am not sure how they accomplished it-- typically the shipping is not part of the offer-- it just flows through. I double checked the offer numerous times and I've never offered free shipping for that item. I only noticed it when I checked the email stating the terms of the deal and was like--- no way broseph!

Anyone have a thought on how one would circumvent the shipping charges? I don't want this happening again. Seems like some clown figured it out and advertised it as a life hack.

On 1/10/2023 at 8:28 PM, 01TheDude said:

Somehow the buyer figured out how to alter the shipping to FREE SHIPPING

I don't blame the buyer. eBay does not allow such a hack. There are no holes. A way he could have won your item with free shipping was if you had multiple shipping options available. It might have been an oversight on your listing in the "shipping and payments" section

Edited by littledoom

On 1/10/2023 at 11:46 PM, littledoom said:

I don't blame the buyer. eBay does not allow such a hack. There are no holes. A way he could have won your item with free shipping was if you had multiple shipping options available. It might have been an oversight on your listing in the "shipping and payments" section

I thought that as well but checked it out and it was not the case.

Here is the original listing and it's replacement (which sold!): ps-- not comic books

Edited by 01TheDude

On 1/16/2023 at 9:39 PM, Raze said:

I bought a book on ebay last week from a seller in Texas ( I live in Missouri) and was charged $1.25 in taxes. When did this start? Ive seen taxes on in state purchases but not out of state.

Lol since like 2019 for Texas! It's why I started buying from mycomicshop, same state, because in 2018 to 19 it didn't matter if it was instate or not online tax was charged. I think the only reason or what is more probable is Missouri didn't have a tax until recently for you. (thumbsu

Used to only in state for anyone, but 20 18 or 19, the rules changed due to legislation that the sites all have to pay it. I can still by from certain places online from a few sites that won't charge tax, but I'm not sure why, other than the "tax" is built into the price; therefore, maybe the tax is built in to the price

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 12/10/2022 at 4:54 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I've been charging $6 shipping on eBay since I started selling again in the last 18 months or so. I do the same as you, first class or better on a Gemini with plenty of tape, extra backing boards and packing material - I won't ship Media Mail. I can often send 2 books if they buy and ask for combined shipping in one Gemini for just under $6, depending on the book size/thickness. I've never had anyone complain about the $6 shipping, and I don't really make any money on shipping when you factor all costs (maybe a quarter or two here and there), but I've gotten plenty of good feedback on the security of my packing. I say directly in my listings that I use fresh Geminis and will only ship first class or better.

As a buyer, if I find a book I want from 2 different sellers, all other things being equal, I'll pay an extra buck or two for the shipping if I see that's it's coming first class and they specify their packaging.

Do you ship the Gemini mailer by itself, or do you put the Gemini into another package of some sort?  And why does the Gemini need any extra backing boards? Isn't it rigid enough the way it is? Same question in relation to packing materials. Why is anything else needed other than the bagged and boarded comic? 

Sorry for all of the questions. But I am ramping up to sell a good amount of raw books, and I am looking for the best advice I can get. Thanks. 

On 2/9/2023 at 1:05 PM, HemiGTX said:

Do you ship the Gemini mailer by itself, or do you put the Gemini into another package of some sort?  And why does the Gemini need any extra backing boards? Isn't it rigid enough the way it is? Same question in relation to packing materials. Why is anything else needed other than the bagged and boarded comic? 

Sorry for all of the questions. But I am ramping up to sell a good amount of raw books, and I am looking for the best advice I can get. Thanks. 

No worries! I ship the Gemini itself - I save old backing boards from when I re-bag/board books, and I use the old backing boards to sandwich the book/books in between to give a little more stability. I also use painters tape to tape down the whole thing directly to the inner of the Gemini so the books don't move around in transit. That's why I like making the backing board sandwich, so I don't have tape sticking directly to the bagged book. So far (knock on wood) I haven't had any issues.

If I sell a higher-priced book, I'll add extra packing material like a little more sturdy cardboard or some bubble wrap as well, but that's just more for my peace of mind. I've received plenty of books in the mail in just a Gemini, they're really well-designed for their purpose.

On 2/9/2023 at 1:13 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

No worries! I ship the Gemini itself - I save old backing boards from when I re-bag/board books, and I use the old backing boards to sandwich the book/books in between to give a little more stability. I also use painters tape to tape down the whole thing directly to the inner of the Gemini so the books don't move around in transit. That's why I like making the backing board sandwich, so I don't have tape sticking directly to the bagged book. So far (knock on wood) I haven't had any issues.

If I sell a higher-priced book, I'll add extra packing material like a little more sturdy cardboard or some bubble wrap as well, but that's just more for my peace of mind. I've received plenty of books in the mail in just a Gemini, they're really well-designed for their purpose.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. Most of my books are going to be sub $25 books. So this sounds like the perfect way to fly. Thanks again. :cheers: