• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,099 posts in this topic

“We’ve seen it so many times,” Reeves says. “It’s been done too much. I knew we couldn’t do that.”

He set about a ton of reading and was blown away by the comic Batman: Year One, the 1987 four-issue run by writer Frank Miller and artist David Mazzucchelli, that showed a young and in-turmoil Bruce Wayne figuring out how to be a be a vigilante. The tone is detective noir, the violence is street-level and nasty, and you will search in vain for a feat of superhero derring-do or a groaning Mr Freeze “Allow-me-to-break-the-ice”-style pun. Calling Batman: Year One realistic would be a stretch. But it is somewhere near as realistic as a comic book about a mentally dubious loner who puts on a disguise and begins hunting criminals come night. This proto-Batman underestimates his opponents, gets shot by the police, and his costume doesn’t fit. (It’s great, and it happens to be my favourite comic book.) Other influences on Reeves included New Hollywood classics from the 1970s: The French Connection, Chinatown and Taxi Driver. Also, Kurt Cobain.

“Early on, when I was writing, I started listening to Nirvana, and there was something about [Nevermind song] ‘Something in the Way’, which is in the first trailer, which is part of the voice of that character. When I considered, ‘How do you do Bruce Wayne in a way that hasn’t been seen before?’ I started thinking, ‘What if some tragedy happened [ie: Wayne sees his parents murdered] and this guy becomes so reclusive, we don’t know what he’s doing? Is this guy some kind of wayward, reckless, drug addict?’ And the truth is that he is a kind of drug addict. His drug is his addiction to this drive for revenge. He’s like a Batman Kurt Cobain.”

On 1/25/2022 at 12:39 PM, Bosco685 said:

This is an the most egotistical nonsensical statement involving poetic imagery.

So you listened to Nirvana, probably for the first time, and liked the grittiness of the song and wanted it in the movie. Fine. Its a great song.

To say Batman is ANYTHING like Cobain or vice versa is simply ridiculous

Its things like this that give me my outlook on Hollywood, and it applies to ANY statement of this caliber, not just because its Cobain.

What are you going to say next? Riddler is like Layne Staley?

On 1/27/2022 at 1:00 PM, D84 said:

Sounds like he delivered what WB wanted to make. Too bad they kept scewing with him.

We've had so many solo Batman films over the past 35 years that I can't believe anyone wouldn't want one that takes place in an expansive DCEU.

I'll watch The Batman with an open mind, but it's not like I haven't seen the character beat the s^&* out of people by himself my whole life.

On 1/27/2022 at 12:22 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

We've had so many solo Batman films over the past 35 years that I can't believe anyone wouldn't want one that takes place in an expansive DCEU.

I'll watch The Batman with an open mind, but it's not like I haven't seen the character beat the s^&* out of people by himself my whole life.

The trailers are growing on me, but it does seem like more of the same. I really hope Matt Reeves delivers on the promise of a Batman detective story.

On 1/30/2022 at 6:42 PM, Jaydogrules said:

This movie just is not galvanizing people the way no way home did.  

-J.

Give Bruce Wayne a boyband haircut and a sunken face with heroin addict vampire pale skin, and galvanize you will not.

On 1/30/2022 at 7:42 PM, Jaydogrules said:

This movie just is not galvanizing people the way no way home did.  

-J.

That's an odd comparison to make.

Spider-Man: No Way Home is the third solo MCU Spider-Man film and the 27th MCU connected franchise film containing multiple actors across 3 separate Spider-Man franchise going back to 2002.

I can see how you compared the two. If I whacked myself in the face with a two by four a few times.

:nyah: