• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,393 posts in this topic

On 2/5/2024 at 6:02 PM, SpineTic said:

Still so odd to see someone other than Hasbro making 4" Joe figures, but I guess with Super 7 Reaction, Hiya Toys, and now McFarlane, this is how it will be. These all look pretty cruddy to me, but at the price point I guess they're not so bad? Not for me, but if it snags the eyeballs of some kid out there, it's a good thing.

On 2/6/2024 at 8:46 AM, F For Fake said:

Still so odd to see someone other than Hasbro making 4" Joe figures, but I guess with Super 7 Reaction, Hiya Toys, and now McFarlane, this is how it will be. These all look pretty cruddy to me, but at the price point I guess they're not so bad? Not for me, but if it snags the eyeballs of some kid out there, it's a good thing.

Strait from the horse's mouth.

Edited by SpineTic

On 2/6/2024 at 8:46 AM, F For Fake said:

I saw the spawn and a few other ones at Gamestop and wasn't overly impressed.  I don't know what these companies are thinking doing 5 point articulated figures and thinking they will sell well let alone they are pretty small figures at 3".  The paint aps are horrible as well. They are overpriced.  Also think that it should have been Cobra Commander and Storm Shadow as a two pack.  Also want to note that the books inside are reprints of old books.

Some companies are learning though.  Super 7 has permission to start making 3 3/4 fully articulated figures which will be interesting to see what characters they do since part of their plan is to do obscure figures.  Wish Hiya Toys would ship to Canada since would have liked the Storm shadow.

As For Hasbro themselves I wish they would do 1988 Storm Shadow in classified (not an exclusive) but that is pretty much it.  I would have got the other two Storm Shadows which are the Amazon and the Walmart exclusive if they where not over priced manufactured rare exclusives and really don't see classified holding any true value.  Already see price dumps on Amazon along with super 7 as well having price dumps on their joe figures.  I see people on Facebook tryin to dump their extras they bought which  you can go on Amazon and get cheaper.  This is why I just get my fav character and don't waste my money on any of the rest and why I didn't buy any extras for investment.  One good thing did come out of it though and that I don't focus Joes and been grabbing other characters from other lines and been enjoying that more.

Edited by whisp

2023 I focused on different toy and company lines.  I was actually pretty happy with what came out and was surprised that a lot of characters I wanted came out along with some I never thought they would do.  It was like someone was listening lol.

I was trying to make my dream team of modern for a shelf.  There is still a couple on my want list.  I tried to get a Master Chief from Halo and a specific one but it still sitting in my Amazon ordered list with an email saying they notify me when it becomes available.  I also wanted to get a Centurion but that was pretty exclusive set and I only wanted one only because I never had one as a child and wanted one.

However, I got Soundwave with a couple of the new designed tapes that fit inside of him.  The all white Boba Fett prototype, Moon Knight with armor, Storm Shadow, Ninja Spawn and Scareglow.

Something I never thought they would do was the Drizzt figure and was very happy when I saw that and added the Jumanji Panther to be his Cat.  I got the Super 7 Panthro in which the first one had a paint app issue on the harness in which I contacted Super 7 just to get a new harness and they sent me a whole new one that is pristine.  Their customer support was friendly and they went out of their way to help me.  I grabbed 7 of the retro TMNT which totally reminded me of my childhood.  I skipped on two of them but wish I grabbed them.

Some oddball items I grabbed is the Rubik's cube which I had as a kid and now have the speed version.  I can solve it now but won't be breaking any speed records :P.  Also I grabbed one of the D&D Dicelings (green Dragon).  The Diceling is actually pretty impressive for what it is.

Next is the The Legend of Drizzt Board game.  That has been a lot of fun and every other Thursday a friend and I play it.  I even went as far to make three dice towers for it and we about half way thru the campaign booklet.

Bought a bunch of Hot Wheels for the hell of it since cheap and they just display nice.

Finally the Macross (Robotech) YF-29 Alto version.  This model kit was so fun to make.  Took a bit but when done it displayed and looks pretty cool as part of my team up

So for 2023 it was a pretty good year for modern pickups.

image.jpeg.9933365e2e40da0ab556db63d82d9df2.jpeg

My wish list right now that I would like to get.

1. An individual centurion

2. Voltron (they came out with one at one point but I could never find a retailer that had all the cats to put together to buy as a set.)

3.  For the TMNT retro line by Playmate I wish they had done April O'Neil so that we could have had the original 8 so would like to see playmates release that.  

4.  For them to release more of the Halo Master Chief by Jazwares toys that I have been waiting on my order list.

5. A Classified 1988 Storm Shadow

6.  Rerelease of the Ronin TMNT armoured version.  I missed this one and don't want to pay reseller prices.  Wanted him as part of my team line up.

7. Lazerbeak or Buzzsaw for Soundwave 83

That pretty much sums up everything for 2023 for me

Not plastic Crack but I have started catching up on the Drizzt Forgotten realm books and on book 17 (The Hunters Trilogy (6th trilogy) and been buying them in their trilogy sets.  That will take me a bit because there is 7 more trilogies after this one lol but gives me something to do

Edited by whisp

On 2/7/2024 at 3:42 AM, whisp said:

2023 I focused on different toy and company lines.  I was actually pretty happy with what came out and was surprised that a lot of characters I wanted came out along with some I never thought they would do.  It was like someone was listening lol.

I was trying to make my dream team of modern for a shelf.  There is still a couple on my want list.  I tried to get a Master Chief from Halo and a specific one but it still sitting in my Amazon ordered list with an email saying they notify me when it becomes available.  I also wanted to get a Centurion but that was pretty exclusive set and I only wanted one only because I never had one as a child and wanted one.

However, I got Soundwave with a couple of the new designed tapes that fit inside of him.  The all white Boba Fett prototype, Moon Knight with armor, Storm Shadow, Ninja Spawn and Scareglow.

Something I never thought they would do was the Drizzt figure and was very happy when I saw that and added the Jumanji Panther to be his Cat.  I got the Super 7 Panthro in which the first one had a paint app issue on the harness in which I contacted Super 7 just to get a new harness and they sent me a whole new one that is pristine.  Their customer support was friendly and they went out of their way to help me.  I grabbed 7 of the retro TMNT which totally reminded me of my childhood.  I skipped on two of them but wish I grabbed them.

Some oddball items I grabbed is the Rubik's cube which I had as a kid and now have the speed version.  I can solve it now but won't be breaking any speed records :P.  Also I grabbed one of the D&D Dicelings (green Dragon).  The Diceling is actually pretty impressive for what it is.

Next is the The Legend of Drizzt Board game.  That has been a lot of fun and every other Thursday a friend and I play it.  I even went as far to make three dice towers for it and we about half way thru the campaign booklet.

Bought a bunch of Hot Wheels for the hell of it since cheap and they just display nice.

Finally the Macross (Robotech) YF-29 Alto version.  This model kit was so fun to make.  Took a bit but when done it displayed and looks pretty cool as part of my team up

2. Voltron (they came out with one at one point but I could never find a retailer that had all the cats to put together to buy as a set.)

3.  For the TMNT retro line by Playmate I wish they had done April O'Neil so that we could have had the original 8 so would like to see playmates release that.  

4.  For them to release more of the Halo Master Chief by Jazwares toys that I have been waiting on my order list.

6.  Rerelease of the Ronin TMNT armoured version.  I missed this one and don't want to pay reseller prices.  Wanted him as part of my team line up.

Not plastic Crack but I have started catching up on the Drizzt Forgotten realm books and on book 17 (The Hunters Trilogy (6th trilogy) and been buying them in their trilogy sets.  That will take me a bit because there is 7 more trilogies after this one lol but gives me something to do

The armoured Ronin was on clearance at BBTS just the other day. 22 bucks US. 

On 2/7/2024 at 7:47 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

Picked up a beautiful condition Kenner mail-in display stand this week along with a bonus custom acrylic case. The only figure I've got left from my childhood is R2-D2, but after him I'll populate it with the best condition original 12 I can find. This was a mainstay on a shelf in my room when I was young. 

star_wars_loose_action_figure_display_1.jpg

I love the acrylic case. Please post up some pics when you've got it loaded up with the 12 figures.

On 2/6/2024 at 9:42 AM, whisp said:

Here is the link for Neca Armored Ronin sold at Big Bad Toy Store.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/196824?o=4

That Timber is the best articulated dog I've seen to date.  Really, really nice with both snarling and calm swappable heads.  There's another new GI Joe 2-pack with a rottweiler, and that dog is also awesome.

Ouch... So I do not believe that AFA would grade a figure as an 80 with a broken O-Ring so one can only assume that the O-Ring snapped post grading.  Costly break. 

This is why I say, do not buy graded MOC GI Joes or vehicles. 

I am curious to see how the auction ends though especially as it is offered side by side with an in tact sample graded at AFA 85.   Yes I know that the 85 would command more.  However there is a much wider than usual disparity between the two due to the broken o-ring.

AFA 80 Broken

https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/action-figures/gi-joe/gi-joe-storm-shadow-broken-o-ring-cas-80-hasbro-1984-/a/49157-88039.s?ic4

AFA 85 Unbroken

https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/action-figures/gi-joe/gi-joe-cobra-storm-shadow-afa-85-hasbro-1984-/a/49157-88040.s

Close up to the broken figure. 

image.thumb.png.ad3c6d7be08956292ded32beeb35958a.png

On 2/11/2024 at 5:15 PM, Buzzetta said:

Ouch... So I do not believe that AFA would grade a figure as an 80 with a broken O-Ring so one can only assume that the O-Ring snapped post grading.  Costly break. 

I am curious to see how the auction ends though especially as it is offered side by side with an in tact sample graded at AFA 85.   Yes I know that the 85 would command more.  However there is a much wider than usual disparity between the two due to the broken o-ring.

AFA 80 Broken

https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/action-figures/gi-joe/gi-joe-storm-shadow-broken-o-ring-cas-80-hasbro-1984-/a/49157-88039.s?ic4

AFA 85 Unbroken

https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/action-figures/gi-joe/gi-joe-cobra-storm-shadow-afa-85-hasbro-1984-/a/49157-88040.s

Ryan from Toy Federation (on YouTube) was just saying he hates carded Joes because the O ring will eventually snap. He said if you're lucky you can reposition the bottom to slide back into place. Then you have no choice but to display flat and don't move it! Lol.

On 2/11/2024 at 7:18 PM, Buzzetta said:

Oh... @Bosco685 I forgot to post pics.  Since I took these pics it has already found space around Lego City... 

Space is becoming a hot commodity though... 

Don't know where Avengers Tower will go so that is still in the box to be built at a later date. 

Bugle is nice.  There are some aspects I would have changed and will be changing.  I would prefer a "non cracked" sidewalk to match up to the rest of the regular modulars and the Marvel ones.  I may "fix" the broken window since all the parts are there to make it a smooth facade. 

I do like the simulation of a non-working elevator.  

No I did not do stickers.  They did not need them.  There was a lot of interesting building techniques and I like a lot of the subtle references to Spider-man lore.  Peter's office is near perfect from the cartoon and he is even on a storage floor. The only sticker I was tempted to put in Peter's "office" was of the Spiderman head to recreate the meme. 

This might be the only way to get a Punisher minifgure. 

Aunt May? Check. Gwen Stacy?  Check.  Mary Jane?  I guess the Lego designers were not fans.  I have an extra so not the greatest tragedy.  

Standout parts of the build were how they did Sandman and the inclusion of the Spider-Buggy.  The nice thing is that those lines on the side of the building are pieces originally used for battery operated trains.  Those are the railway tracks from the 1960's and 1970's.  It was nice to see the mold still around. and in use. 

IMG_9982.JPG

IMG_9983.JPG

IMG_9984.JPG

IMG_9985.JPG

IMG_9986.JPG

IMG_9987.JPG

IMG_9988.JPG

IMG_9989.JPG

IMG_9990.JPG

IMG_9991.JPG

IMG_9992.JPG

IMG_9993.JPG

IMG_9994.JPG

IMG_9995.JPG

Impressive. Time worth the effort to enjoy, building or rearranging. Hope for more. :)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

AFA 80 Broken

AFA 85 Unbroken

Yeah, this is why i got out of carded Joes several years ago. Broken rings, figures bursting through the bubbles, there are just too many things that can go wrong. I may occasionally pick up a later, cheaper figure on card, like mid-90's Battle Corps stuff, because you're usually only talking about $40-$50 on those, so if they break, it's not the end of the world. But spending $$$$ on carded Joes just seems insane to me, they are plastic time bombs. I had a few carded figures graded several years ago, but I got rid of them early on, and am glad I did so. Loose complete is the way to go with Joe, or recarded examples for those that like the carded look without the concern.

AFA 80 Broken

AFA 85 Unbroken

That's actually graded by CAS and not AFA. But I agree with you about the carded figures. 

This was graded by CAS Feb 2, 2023, so the O-Ring break happened within the last year. Here's a pic of the before:

Gi-Joe-before-front.thumb.jpg.9f0538f35d2ba2228ae271445481c5ac.jpg

I handle quite a few post-loss appraisals for Gi Joe MOC's through ToyVerify, it's a shame. A lot of them get damaged being shipped back to the submitter. I'm not a fan of HA listing it using the 80+ grade, that is no longer valid. 

On 2/12/2024 at 7:02 PM, comicwiz said:

This was graded by CAS Feb 2, 2023, so the O-Ring break happened within the last year. Here's a pic of the before:

Gi-Joe-before-front.thumb.jpg.9f0538f35d2ba2228ae271445481c5ac.jpg

I handle quite a few post-loss appraisals for Gi Joe MOC's through ToyVerify, it's a shame. A lot of them get damaged being shipped back to the submitter. I'm not a fan of HA listing it using the 80+ grade, that is no longer valid. 

HA did the same for a Firefly, I think. Listed it as a 90 (or 95) while showing a clearly broken o-ring (the figure was dangling terribly). GI JOE and MOTU collectors are finally going to have to swallow that hard pill: it's been 40+ years since the toys were released, and both Hasbro and Mattel outsourced a long of their production to countries that took short cuts--and this is the end result.