• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Next HA Auction !
4 4

386 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Crazy that the lot was re-opened not once, but two times after it closed. doh!

Wrightson Swampy cover hammers at just $49K...too much Wrightson supply I think over the past year. 

Totally agree.  If you had asked me a year ago I would have said just about any Wrightson ST cover would start at 80k+ and up.  So much supply.

6 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Totally agree.  If you had asked me a year ago I would have said just about any Wrightson ST cover would start at 80k+ and up.  So much supply.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but, ahem, not a very strong example as far as I'm concerned.

Am I missing something on the Sienkz Elektra splash? Not my core focus but I thought it was reasonable so I was the underbidder.  I know it's not a great shot of Electra, but I thought it should go for a lot more.

Malvin

13 minutes ago, malvin said:

Am I missing something on the Sienkz Elektra splash? Not my core focus but I thought it was reasonable so I was the underbidder.  I know it's not a great shot of Electra, but I thought it should go for a lot more.

Malvin

Lower end of the expected range IMO.

Sienk fans are passionate, but don't seem to have the bankrolls that some others do.

STAR WARS fans on the other hand, have a bit deeper pockets.

18 minutes ago, malvin said:

Malvin

It ended up right about where I thought it would ($13-15K).  There have been so many chances to buy covers and splashes from this (niche) series over the years that I think people have either already got an example or decided they can live without one, for the most part. 

Edited by delekkerste

9 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

It ended up right about where I thought it would ($13-15K).  There have been so many chances to buy covers and splashes from this (niche) series over the years that I think people have either already got an example or decided they can live without one, for the most part. 

As someone said in another post about beauty in the eye of the beholder, this particular splash didn't really grab me.  Just kind of a weird shot that I thought was a little boring.  And I love Sienkewicz Electra usually.

Onto tomorrow, my minor league tastes had me watching the Buscema Raiders page, which is already over 1.3k. Again, I am comps guy and all I can do is scratch my head on this one. Great scene, the art itself is rather lackluster on this page.

Edited by cstojano

10 minutes ago, Matches_Malone said:

Did the Mark Schultz Predator go under the radar? 

It is a very dense image, without the color it is harder to distinguish the depth. It is a sweet female and I had the piece on my watch list so I am not denigrating it, just visually dense in b/w.

13 minutes ago, Bird said:

It is a very dense image, without the color it is harder to distinguish the depth. It is a sweet female and I had the piece on my watch list so I am not denigrating it, just visually dense in b/w.

I hear you... still, seems like a bargain for a Schultz containing a female. 

1 hour ago, cstojano said:

Onto tomorrow, my minor league tastes had me watching the Buscema Raiders page, which is already over 1.3k. Again, I am comps guy and all I can do is scratch my head on this one. Great scene, the art itself is rather lackluster on this page.

Had to look it up since it was something I would not be interested in at all and would gloss over and the price gave me a laugh. There may be one or two or ten thousand things I would personally rather spend my money on.

3 hours ago, Matches_Malone said:

Did the Mark Schultz Predator go under the radar? 

I agree the Schultz was a great buy although I feel there are many better Predator examples then this particular one. Nobody mentioned the big time prices for Don Martin artwork and what about that Farside by Gary Larson. Both of those did multiples of what I was expecting. 

5 hours ago, cstojano said:

I'm not surprised by the price.  I agree that the art itself is far from great, but it's one of the most memorable scenes from the movie adaptation and is bound to be very nostalgic for a lot of people.  It's hard to find vintage OA that's as memorable as this page for anywhere near $1K and change anymore. 

Disclaimer:  I am not the consignor, I do not know who consigned the page, and nor will I be the buyer for this page tomorrow either - all of this is just my opinion. 

Edited by delekkerste

For the last few years I've tried to watch as many of these live auctions as possible. As such, I can't help but notice how weird the Roberts collection lots were. Most of them didn't catch bids before auction day, yet most lots were fought over by two internet bidders at the live event. How does that happen?

Regardless, it seemed like a pretty strong auction. There were no "grail of grails" but a ton of solid material pulled in strong prices. It's amazing to see how well strips & underground art continue to perform without taking away from the superhero stuff. Definitely a lot of surprises on the upside, but some good material was undervalued IMHO.

The Frazetta stuff sure looked reasonable (relatively speaking) and the Swamp Thing #6 was actually cheap (again, relatively speaking). If money were no object, I would have bought the Strange Tales #115 splash, Cap #148, & Avengers #108. They all went in the mid teens, but a private seller would want something in the twenties for any of them.  Well, if money really was no object I'd have bought the Zeck Spidey Index cover. Very overpriced, but oh so pretty.