• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:
15 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

I need a Wonderworld 8 to have two 9.4s. I think I will bid now!

Technically that means you would own a Wonderworld 8 at a grade of 18.8. That would be worth a pretty penny!

In Texas, they use 9.4s for drink coasters.  Has to be a 9.9 before they pay attention.  Or so they say. :)

A quick question (probably answered pages ago), do folks think that books will sell for a small premium because they came from Jon's collection?

10 hours ago, Saleen333 said:

I'm just curious how Jon accumulated such a nice collection of books and original art 

Passion, dedication and money.

If you want good stuff and have money to spend dealers will put you high on the list when something up your alley comes in.

6 minutes ago, piper said:

A quick question (probably answered pages ago), do folks think that books will sell for a small premium because they came from Jon's collection?

Not likely due to the ownership (just like I don't think the Cage copies carried much of a premium) but many of the books are so special they'll fetch premiums all on their own.

6 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Not likely due to the ownership (just like I don't think the Cage copies carried much of a premium) but many of the books are so special they'll fetch premiums all on their own.

+1

20 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

(...) but many of the books are so special they'll fetch premiums all on their own.

Good thing is, bidders absolutely don't need an Overstreet or any other database for this auction.:popcorn:

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

Passion, dedication and money.

Yup, not a mystery, this is what it takes.

Dedication and consistency over 40 years or so might be the hardest part of this recipe.  

Life's hiccups have thwarted many collectors.

Like anyone, John must have faced them and he managed to navigate them all.  

Impressive.

Edited by Johnny545

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

I wonder what books are in store for phase 2 of his collection..

Rumor has it that he's finally decided to part with his superlative runs of Little Lotta and Stumbo the Giant.  Frankly, though, I'll believe it when I see it.

2 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

I wonder what books are in store for phase 2 of his collection..

Didn't think there was any feature type books left. Only moder runs?

13 hours ago, Saleen333 said:

I'm just curious how Jon accumulated such a nice collection of books and original art 

12 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

He was ruthless.

12 hours ago, Saleen333 said:

Ruthless with deep pockets.

Ruthless, yes, though also being at the right places at the right times, and amassing most of his collection before the gigantic mushroom bubble of escalating prices came upon us. My guess is that even with pockets as deep as  the maw of Mount Doom, such a collection would be near impossible to recreate. 

3 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Ruthless, yes, though also being at the right places at the right times, and amassing most of his collection before the gigantic mushroom bubble of escalating prices came upon us. My guess is that even with pockets as deep as the maw of Mount Doom, such a collection would be near impossible to recreate. 

:gossip:Have you ever seen the ring Gator wears around his neck?

2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

:gossip:Have you ever seen the ring Gator wears around his neck?

So you're saying he used to be a hale and hearty hobbit before the One Book That Rules Them All corrupted him, and corrupted him completely?

50 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Didn't think there was any feature type books left. Only moder runs?

I wasn't sure what was left behind, thought that there may be more keys and rare books. Hoping a few surprises.

23 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

I wasn't sure what was left behind, thought that there may be more keys and rare books. Hoping a few surprises.

Don't think so

On 5/25/2017 at 11:01 PM, lou_fine said:

Don't believe Jon was really that much into the mainstream D.C. and Timely GA titles, except for the keys, as time went on.  :gossip:

Books like that were really left more to collectors like Ayman Hariri when he was compiling his "Easy to Buy If You Have Money" collection while Jon was busy compiling the true  "Impossible Collection".  hm (thumbsu

18 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Jon had a complete run of Marvel Mystery among other Timelys.  They were previously sold/traded over the years as he shifted focus.

Exactly why I said that Jon tended to lose interest in the mainstream titles as time went on.

Adam:  Any idea if this 18,000 comic book collection is referring to what Jon had over his entire collecting life or what he has left at this current point in time? ???