• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

You do realize that resistance was futile? :taptaptap:

bil3.42a_zpsszq53fns.jpg

NO WAY?!?!? You won that?? Wow! (i'm gonna have to find a certain Baker giant to pry that out of your hands. Congrats! (got my :censored: handed to me that time lol )

Just now, sagii said:

NO WAY?!?!? You won that?? Wow! (i'm gonna have to find a certain Baker giant to pry that out of your hands. Congrats! (got my :censored: handed to me that time lol )

Ted (Superworld) has (or had) a raw copy on his site.  Asking a heck of a lot for it, but maybe he'd be amenable to an offer. :wishluck:

2 hours ago, atomised said:

I guess this is also the place to vent about not getting a Berk catalogue since I also got shafted and didn't get one.  I was hoping to have something to remember this by as I'm expecting to get crushed on the bidding for the Church Mystery Men books, I'm sure the trademark CC extended bidding feature will tack on another 30 days to the auction. :facepalm:

I am curious as to what "qualifies" one to receive a catalogue; I did not receive one.

Now, I will readily admit that I did not spend as much on CC last year as I have in the past.  I made a lot of purchases last year, however, not too many of them were from CC.  This was NOT, however, for lack of trying.   Although I did not end up with a lot of "wins", I did end up with some.

More importantly, I was "in the game"; bidding.  I remember bidding in the 5 figure range on at least one book.  On a few books I remember going back and forth with another motivated bidder for some time after the "close" (several time extensions).  All this bidding raised the final "hammer price" and CC benefited from me being "in the game" regardless of how many times I "won" or how many times I was "runner up".   

If I was Berk (or any other "seller") I would want serious bidders receiving catalogues even if they did not "win" a lot in the previous year.

As for me, the catalogue is not a big deal to me and I would likely have given it to another board member after the auction anyway, however, this lack of "serious bidders" receiving catalogues, causes me to think CC is NOT the place I would want to consign my books to, IF ever I decided to sell (not that I am planning to do that, however, my children are likely to and it may be best for me to direct them to one of the other venues for selling).

2c

I don't think they see who is bidding (or aren't tracking that). 

I say this because they always call the day before close to remind about the auction close and seem to (sincerely) have no idea whether I'm bidding or not.

I think they just see who wins an auction.

So, I would guess thats the metric they rely on when mailing out catalogs.

Not saying this is a smart way to decide who gets a catalog.

If your bidding on lots of books and running up bids and not ultimately winning I would sure send you a catalog.

Edited by Johnny545

12 minutes ago, Johnny545 said:

I don't think they see who is bidding (or aren't tracking that). 

I say this because they always call the day before close to remind about the auction close and seem to (sincerely) have no idea whether I'm bidding or not.

I think they just see who wins an auction.

So, I would guess thats the metric they rely on when mailing out catalogs.

Not saying this is a smart way to decide who gets a catalog.

If your bidding on lots of books and running up bids and not ultimately winning I would sure send you a catalog.

well that must be a high bar then if they are looking at winners to distribute catalogues to.  I took home the Terrific Comics #5 1.8, Subby #11 6.0  and #12 7.5 in their last auction alone.  oh well, womp womp.

5 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Neat catalog but everything is online so I doubt any bidders are affected 

Comic collectors tend (almost by definition) to be people who like to hold paper in their hands.

I have barely looked at this auction on line, but if that catalogue was sitting here, I bet I would be flipping through it every day.

This is NOT to say that I have not looked at the auction (I think I have looked at the books from A - D so far), or that I will not bid, but I am betting I will not be bidding on as many books (and maybe not as much) as I would be if I was flipping through a catalogue every day and being tempted. 

Perhaps I should thank CC for NOT sending me one.   I am sure my wife is grateful to them.  lol

2 minutes ago, atomised said:

well that must be a high bar then if they are looking at winners to distribute catalogues to.  I took home the Terrific Comics #5 1.8, Subby #11 6.0  and #12 7.5 in their last auction alone.  oh well, womp womp.

So YOU are the ONE that took that T5.

Nice pick up!  I wanted that book.

The CC hierarchy:

1. Spend some money = Get a catalog

2.  Spend significant money = Get a catalog plus a Christmas card

3.  Spend more money than you should be spending = Get a catalog plus a Christmas card plus a bottle of wine

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

The CC hierarchy:

1. Spend some money = Get a catalog

2.  Spend significant money = Get a catalog plus a Christmas card

3.  Spend more money than you should be spending = Get a catalog plus a Christmas card plus a bottle of wine

IMG_3507.JPG

8 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

And those are just the few that you didn't open and drink! :)

Given I don't drink at all, that's 100% unopened lol

13 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Given I don't drink at all, that's 100% unopened lol

Good thing, they all taste like p---water! 

Actually, I'll drink those. Gator, I'll pay you $2 per price point!

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

IMG_3507.JPG

They had "various" choices on those too. I think there were at least 4 different Amazing Fantasy #15 wines. The Cab was less valuable than the red wine versions. There was a blue bottle in the red as well. They gave you a letter verifying that Stan had signed them if you asked. There's a silver foil top on one of the Action #1 cover wines. I thought it was a weird thing to gift and offer but then again I don't drink wine either. (shrug)

If they had given me a choice of gifts I'd have asked for that Batmobile in the photo above the wine. Now that would have been a real gift...:cloud9: