• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Still lurking in the weeds on 7 of 8 targets... The One has flown so high I'd need oxygen to bid on it...

Yes, its sad when a 6 figure tracking bid gets left in the dust.

FANTASTIC COMICS 1939-41 #3
Publisher:

Fox

Grade:

CGC NM: 9.4

Well. So here it is. The single most coveted, most revered, most gloriously insane and delightfully over-the-top cover of the Golden Age by one of the finest artists ever to grace the medium. There's barely any point in discussing or writing about this splendid beast, but I guess we'll have to try, otherwise this listing will have to be filled up with recipes and emojis. So, where do we even begin? Maybe what's worth discussing is how immaculately this extraordinary image captures everything about the twilight, otherworldly realm of early 20th century pop fiction, how it manages to perfectly meld Burroughsian adventure, pulp science fiction, monster horror, boys' own action, and epic imagination into one astoundingly illustrated piece. 

The intricate lines laid down by Lou Fine, indisputably the first truly great cover artist of the comics, provide supple weight and graceful movement to what could otherwise be a crude and garish image, giving the robots a fierce metal menace reminiscent of Willis O'Brien's majestic King Kong, and the immense motion of Samson at center rivals the heft of Hal Foster's Tarzan, all taking place in a backdrop that practically screams of detailed modelwork by an unusually talented boy. This image burned its way into the brains of all the young readers who first saw it, and has branded itself on the hearts of comic collectors young and old for nearly a century. This issue may not be a key, a first appearance, or the inspiration for a big blockbuster movie, but for truly discerning collectors, there is nothing else. This is the Big One, the Grail, the Monster. It never fails to delight and inspire, and has yet to be rivalled. So. 

This is the highest-graded copy of this immortal classic from the Church/Mile High collection. It is awesome. It is the ultimate. You want this. Boy howdy is this going to be a big one. 

Anyone know who writes ComicConnect copy for their listings? The above is awesome. It does hyperbolic proud. I'm guessing those words alone will add another 50k to that book...

Edited by N e r V

Berk provided information for the catalog but usually on the art and context on an item as opposed to the purple prose of marketing.  I doubt he wrote that one.

2 hours ago, N e r V said:

"(...) This is the Big One, the Grail, the Monster. It never fails to delight and inspire, and has yet to be rivalled. So. 

This is the highest-graded copy of this immortal classic from the Church/Mile High collection. It is awesome. It is the ultimate. You want this. Boy howdy is this going to be a big one."

Well, I'm new here, but I think I can quite precisely imagine who wrote this ...:popcorn::whistle:

Sounds like a veeeery big fan of that book xD

I guess this is also the place to vent about not getting a Berk catalogue since I also got shafted and didn't get one.  I was hoping to have something to remember this by as I'm expecting to get crushed on the bidding for the Church Mystery Men books, I'm sure the trademark CC extended bidding feature will tack on another 30 days to the auction. :facepalm:

1 hour ago, atomised said:

I guess this is also the place to vent about not getting a Berk catalogue since I also got shafted and didn't get one.  I was hoping to have something to remember this by as I'm expecting to get crushed on the bidding for the Church Mystery Men books, I'm sure the trademark CC extended bidding feature will tack on another 30 days to the auction. :facepalm:

lol lol lol

8 minutes ago, comicjack said:

I have seen some auctions extend for forty five minutes on some books :cry:

:cry: :cry: My knock down drag out over that Bill Barnes 7 (which i was the loser) from the last auction was the longest i've endured. (But apparently not long enough)

Just now, sagii said:

:cry: :cry: My knock down drag out over that Bill Barnes 7 (which i was the loser) from the last auction was the longest i've endured. (But apparently not long enough)

I was watching the Spitfire Mile High which went on for 45 minutes back and forth i had to take a nap afterwards lol

Just now, comicjack said:

I was watching the Spitfire Mile High which went on for 45 minutes back and forth i had to take a nap afterwards lol

lol That one was one for the ages. I predict the battle for FC3 and AM22 will be WWE worthy too

4 minutes ago, sagii said:
15 minutes ago, comicjack said:

I have seen some auctions extend for forty five minutes on some books :cry:

You do realize that resistance was futile? :taptaptap:

bil3.42a_zpsszq53fns.jpg