• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Johnny545 said:

Yup, not a mystery, this is what it takes.

Dedication and consistency over 40 years or so might be the hardest part of this recipe.  

Life's hiccups have thwarted many collectors.

Like anyone, John must have faced them and he managed to navigate them all.  

Impressive.

Don't know whether that's the true and complete story (or a summary of that), since I've never known the consigner personally, but I like that posting.

A lot of it was opportunity. Back in the day, one was able to purchase long runs of pedigree books all at once if one was well connected and had the dough. Jon bought what he liked that happened to be off the radar of most collectors. There is a lot of love, blood, sweat (and money) in this collection. Pretty much no matter how much money you have, I doubt you could pull this collection off today. The love of the medium really comes across in this collection. 

I think it is most reflected in the art portion. He spent endless hours running down the artists and getting originals and recreations from just about all the greats in the biz. THAT would be impossible today.

19 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Exactly why I said that Jon tended to lose interest in the mainstream titles as time went on.

Adam:  Any idea if this 18,000 comic book collection is referring to what Jon had over his entire collecting life or what he has left at this current point in time? ???

Metropolis filled a truck with Jon's collection so if they said there were 18,000 books I'm pretty sure they referred to what he sold them.

3 hours ago, Saleen333 said:

I don't think he sold  metropolis any books I pretty sure he  consigned them.

The books in the auction were consigned.  I'm not sure about the rest and was using the word "sold" with respect to Metropolis being his sales agent and/or purchaser of the items.

Edited by adamstrange

I finally put in my tracking bids on this one........... money is tight, but I really hope to get at least one smaller item or two.... I mean, they're Jon Berk's books :x GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

16 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

I finally put in my tracking bids on this one........... money is tight, but I really hope to get at least one smaller item or two.... I mean, they're Jon Berk's books :x GOD BLESS...

Good luck to you and my other mates, Jimbo!

46 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

Me too Jimbo. I rarely if ever bid in the big auctions. Seems like every time I do I pay WAY more than I should. But, I'd really love to have a book or two from this fabled collection. Hopefully, you guys leave a few scraps for us lowly comic lovers...

2 minutes ago, Robot Man said:
52 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

Me too Jimbo. I rarely if ever bid in the big auctions. Seems like every time I do I pay WAY more than I should. But, I'd really love to have a book or two from this fabled collection. Hopefully, you guys leave a few scraps for us lowly comic lovers...

There are a couple dozen that I love and could realistically win (.... and overpay ?) so I will have to do some serious thinking. They're cool about time payments, so I may need to square up on my outstandings and dip back into the debt pool again. GOD BLESS....

36 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

No, sorry, even the scraps have already been spoken for.  I may have a line on some of the boxes the books were stored in, though, if you're interested.  But don't expect them to come cheap! :insane:

1 minute ago, Flex Mentallo said:
21 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

:gossip:  Probably your accent. 

Yeah - over here we call it 'English'. :cry:

Is that what it is?  I've often wondered. hm