• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

The CC hierarchy:

1. Spend some money = Get a catalog

2.  Spend significant money = Get a catalog plus a Christmas card

3.  Spend more money than you should be spending = Get a catalog plus a Christmas card plus a bottle of wine

You forgot 4. where Stephen and Vincent fly to your home hand you a catalog, write out your Christmas card in person and pour you your wine. To get that service you must spend the equal of the GNP of a small South American country. Say Brazil. Totally worth it to watch them sweat if you live a warm part of the country where suits aren't the norm.

Catching up on this thread reminded me to flip through my catalogue some more... didn't need to be big CC purchases to qualify btw.  I spent four figures (closer to five) on a book via the Metropolis site this past year.  Doubt it qualifies me for a bottle of wine, though  :(

3 hours ago, N e r V said:
5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

The CC hierarchy:

3.  Spend more money than you should be spending = Get a catalog plus a Christmas card plus a bottle of wine

You forgot 4. where Stephen and Vincent fly to your home hand you a catalog, write out your Christmas card in person and pour you your wine. To get that service you must spend the equal of the GNP of a small South American country. Say Brazil. Totally worth it to watch them sweat if you live a warm part of the country where suits aren't the norm.

You forgot Level 5.....where they invite you to the Estate, and drink the wine WITH you..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

6 hours ago, Robot Man said:

It takes forever to load all those pages and a LOT easier to just flip pages. Paper is so much more convenient. 

Not questioning convenience at all. And scrolling through 3000 books is time consuming. That said, if anyone is seriously interested, they will be bidding regardless of a catalog or not ;)

11 hours ago, sagii said:
11 hours ago, comicjack said:

I was watching the Spitfire Mile High which went on for 45 minutes back and forth i had to take a nap afterwards lol

lol That one was one for the ages. I predict the battle for FC3 and AM22 will be WWE worthy too

Who owns the A-Man 22 9.0 ?

4 hours ago, jimjum12 said:
7 hours ago, N e r V said:
9 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

The CC hierarchy:

You forgot Level 5.....where they invite you to the Estate, and drink the wine WITH you..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

There's a Level 6 where they grow the wine for you. That one is reserved for Hariri.

Edited by Gotham Kid

4 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Not questioning convenience at all. And scrolling through 3000 books is time consuming. That said, if anyone is seriously interested, they will be bidding regardless of a catalog or not ;)

I agree people will bid either way.  

I just think people may tend to bid more and maybe even more often if they had a catalog sitting there tempting them each day.   

I used to get lots of such catalogs and I remember winning lots of auctions. 

Just my opinion 

The featured lots have nice write-ups and large images.  Everything else has thumbnail sized pics and descriptions so small and brief that it was actually a chore to try and read through them all.  For this auction, I'll do most of my browsing online.

Just now, adamstrange said:

The featured lots have nice write-ups and large images.  Everything else has thumbnail sized pics and descriptions so small and brief that it was actually a chore to try and read through them all.  For this auction, I'll do most of my browsing online.

I browsed online several times.  Then when I got the catalog I browsed again & found other items I was interested in.  It also makes for an easier time when trying to note or make a list of items to pursue IMO.  

One thing I noticed in the auction was of course his comic book Pinbacks. He has some real rare ones. I wasn't aware he collected them as well. I'm sure he had to work to find them. I quickly moved to the end hoping he had the US Jones but no luck... If anybody has any interest and sense, they should take a shot at them. I have a feeling they might get overlooked with all the other mind blowing stuff. The guys I know that collect them aren't into comic books so some one might score. You won't have to compete with me as I have all of them. There is one though...

18 minutes ago, buttock said:

I browsed online several times.  Then when I got the catalog I browsed again & found other items I was interested in.  It also makes for an easier time when trying to note or make a list of items to pursue IMO.  

I wish I qualified to be "on the list". A catalog would save a lot of time and I'm sure I missed something scrolling through those crappy Marvels.

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

One thing I noticed in the auction was of course his comic book Pinbacks. He has some real rare ones. I wasn't aware he collected them as well. I'm sure he had to work to find them. I quickly moved to the end hoping he had the US Jones but no luck... If anybody has any interest and sense, they should take a shot at them. I have a feeling they might get overlooked with all the other mind blowing stuff. The guys I know that collect them aren't into comic books so some one might score. You won't have to compete with me as I have all of them. There is one though...

I almost lose when I bid on those at Hake's.  Maybe I'll have a better shot with these, but I kind of doubt it.  Only takes a couple of informed/determined bidders to push the price to FMV -- or beyond.

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

I wish I qualified to be "on the list". A catalog would save a lot of time and I'm sure I missed something scrolling through those crappy Marvels.

They don't send you a catalog because they know you've already got everything. :baiting:

11 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Don't tell and let the cat out of the bag :D

3 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

They don't send you a catalog because they know you've already got everything. :baiting:

Not in this auction. Jon and I have pretty different tastes. As a rule, I'm not into the pre hero stuff or even (gasp) Centaurs. But he does have quite a few Ace, MLJ, and Harvey's that I am lusting for.

Odd he didn't have any ECs, crime , horror or GA stuff. He certainly had a lot more focus than I do. 

I think I was most impressed with his art. I am not an art guy generally but he really had vision and the smarts to get in touch with so many GA artists and score so many iconic pieces.