• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,088 posts in this topic

On 5/27/2023 at 7:19 AM, The Voord said:

The mark-up in price of close-on $4K is excessive.  The competition for that piece, nearly two months ago, fell below the auction price - so I'm struggling to see how the new ask so soon after the original sale can be justified?   I get that dealers buy art to re-sell at a profit, and don't have a problem with that,  but this is a bit of a jaw-dropper!  Just my 2c

"But... but.. but... the consignor MADE me price it like that! He twisted my arm real bad, honest!"

On 5/27/2023 at 9:48 AM, KirbyCollector said:

the consignor

Yeah, this ever anonymous sin eater 😁 always has, like, um, half the visible fs art out on “consignment.” Can you imagine what he’s keeping!

On 5/26/2023 at 1:17 PM, cloud cloddie said:

Deathmate DPS “sold” in January from Nostalgic Investments. Think the price was 2Kish? 
https://www.nostalgicinvestments.com/comic-art/deathmate-red-p1314-double-page-spread
Now available for 3500 through Panel Page Art. 
https://panelpageart.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=3339

711275D9-71C4-44AA-8718-B8CC46C816AC.jpeg

With a much stronger and dynamic DPS for sale right here on the boards for almost 1/3 the price - both pretty much the same vintage.

On 5/27/2023 at 12:37 PM, KirbyCollector said:

Whoa whoa whoa sir are you telling me dealers do NOT set the market price?!? I am literally shaking...

IMG_3663.gif

As a UK collector let me sound ignorant for a moment about US taxes... But aren't most of these dealers high earners, meaning they pay higher taxes and as a result when they're getting these pieces they're paying auction house fees, sales/state tax(?) and then some kind of income tax? Meaning they need to charge these at often times overinflated/awkward prices to make it worth their while?

On 5/27/2023 at 4:53 PM, barneythecantankerous said:

As a UK collector let me sound ignorant for a moment about US taxes... But aren't most of these dealers high earners, meaning they pay higher taxes and as a result when they're getting these pieces they're paying auction house fees, sales/state tax(?) and then some kind of income tax? Meaning they need to charge these at often times overinflated/awkward prices to make it worth their while?

Dealers don’t pay sales tax as a reseller in the US so they actually have an advantage over most of us 

On 5/27/2023 at 2:48 PM, KirbyCollector said:

"But... but.. but... the consignor MADE me price it like that! He twisted my arm real bad, honest!"

Well, if it is consignment art . . . I woulda thought any dealer worth their salt would steer the consigner towards the realms of reasonableness on flip-valuation?

Your top income tax rate is higher than ours, too. Here, it’s 37% on income above $523k. There, it is 45% over 150k pounds. I suspect that is more than most dealers net, after taxes, but I don’t know. 

Dealers are exempt from sales tax if they are set up as resale businesses and apply for a reseller number. 

On 5/28/2023 at 5:18 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Your top income tax rate is higher than ours, too. Here, it’s 37% on income above $523k. There, it is 45% over 150k pounds. I suspect that is more than most dealers net, after taxes, but I don’t know. 

That's only comparing our Federal income tax rate when most U.S. taxpayers pay a state (and sometimes local) income tax rate as well (plus a 3.8% Federal surcharge on investment income if you are in the top tax bracket).

If you live in NYC, your top marginal income tax rate (excluding the investment income surcharge) is 51.776% (37% Federal + 10.9% NY State + 3.876% NYC). 

Edited by delekkerste

On 5/27/2023 at 3:53 PM, barneythecantankerous said:

They don't pay income taxes on purchases. They pay it on profits from sales. That means what they buy from an auction house is more an expense to be deducted from the final re-sale for tax calculation. 

On 7/1/2023 at 11:43 AM, 2 Sharpe's Collecting said:

Some work has been done on the original since it first sold:

Screenshot 2023-07-01 at 11.38.55 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-01 at 11.39.45 AM.png

Interesting how they got the nose of the wolf to be over the logo.