• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,088 posts in this topic

this has Donnely's written all over it....they consigned another fake stat and overlay special (allegedly) - effectively laundered this fraud through HA like they've been doing for the past 5 years (allegedly), where the auction house effectively obscures all provenance so that wary buyers WHO KNOW BETTER or just plain ignore any and all Donnely art. unknowingly pay for this fake. IF the name of the consigner was known in most auctions (like they are with BIG consigners (from the Estate of... from the Collection of....where it's a selling point) these would get a lot fewer bids. HA is effectively a co-conspirator (allegedly). They aren't that stupid, (allegedly?!?!?) and ignorance is not a defense.

Edited by MyNameIsLegion

On 7/3/2023 at 5:54 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

this has Donnely's written all over it....they consigned another fake stat and overlay special (allegedly) - effectively laundered this fraud through HA like they've been doing for the past 5 years (allegedly), where the auction house effectively obscures all provenance so that wary buyers WHO KNOW BETTER or just plain ignore any and all Donnely art. unknowingly pay for this fake. IF the name of the consigner was known in most auctions (like they are with BIG consigners (from the Estate of... from the Collection of....where it's a selling point) these would get a lot fewer bids. HA is effectively a co-conspirator (allegedly). They aren't that stupid, (allegedly?!?!?) and ignorance is not a defense.

How is this HA a co conspirator they call out every aspect from stat to restoration I think they did a great job letting the buyer know what they are getting… I would say you can’t get much more transparent 

IMG_3657.jpeg

On 7/3/2023 at 11:20 AM, Dirtcheap31 said:

How is this HA a co conspirator they call out every aspect from stat to restoration I think they did a great job letting the buyer know what they are getting… I would say you can’t get much more transparent 

IMG_3657.jpeg

I wish there was a way to preserve this information going forward.  after a few years in the wild, this will be forgotten.

On 6/24/2023 at 5:03 PM, artdealer said:

Well, after all it is Federico Bettini. 

On 6/24/2023 at 5:03 PM, artdealer said:

Well, after all it is Federico Bettini. 

And in fairness, he has the rare opportunity of going for a piece on Heritage. How often do those opportunities come along?

On 7/3/2023 at 6:10 PM, Aahz said:

I wish there was a way to preserve this information going forward.  after a few years in the wild, this will be forgotten.

It's horrendous. If I paid a dealer $9k for this piece and then found out the history soon after I'd want my money back...

On 7/4/2023 at 10:26 AM, Dirtcheap31 said:

HA keeps their history and descriptions live for ever it seems

1) If it sells through Heritage; and/or
2) It hasn't been fixed previously.

Now I am happy to admit that the restoration looks really, really good.  Whoever did it looks to have done a great job, and I also would love to know who it is.  I am also all for (within reason) restoring pieces to bring them back to "original" condition ... ie, taking out the browning/glue stains; fixing replacing word balloons, dealing with water damage, etc.  However, it should be documented and move with the provenance of the piece.  Maybe this is what NFTs could be good for.

On 7/4/2023 at 10:44 AM, Aahz said:

1) If it sells through Heritage; and/or
2) It hasn't been fixed previously.

Now I am happy to admit that the restoration looks really, really good.  Whoever did it looks to have done a great job, and I also would love to know who it is.  I am also all for (within reason) restoring pieces to bring them back to "original" condition ... ie, taking out the browning/glue stains; fixing replacing word balloons, dealing with water damage, etc.  However, it should be documented and move with the provenance of the piece.  Maybe this is what NFTs could be good for.

On 7/4/2023 at 10:26 AM, Dirtcheap31 said:

HA keeps their history and descriptions live for ever it seems

and this is precisely my point- once it's been washed and rinsed through HA, and oh so vaguely detailed (we don't know who, what, or MOST IMPORTANTLY WHEN) the art was restored, if in fact it was a prelim, alternate cover, or just a random pin-up or commission marketed as having something to do with a PUBLISHED piece which is the defining attribute of OA that gets a $$$ premium. There's nothing to corroborate any of it, no COA, just that it was in a HA auction once.  Maybe a better sleuth could find some digital trail of it being listed by the Donnely's at some point, but they might have actually gotten smarter and never posted it FS online for that very reason. Just how much responsibility does the auction house have as to the authenticity of the consigned object? Sotheby's and Christie's seem to assume more when questions have come up with fakes or things that had questionable ownership title, and cooperate with investigations by Interpol and other law enforcement (think WW2 Nazi art theft and antiquities that were stolen from Irag or elsewhere) but HA is probably NOT asking too many questions on purpose for the nascent comic book art market. 

Edited by MyNameIsLegion

On 7/4/2023 at 9:19 PM, lobrac said:

That Wrightson piece on his CAF also looks very familiar.

On 7/7/2023 at 8:07 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

image.thumb.png.3037c192e3fd31fcaa574e4c0fc1abbe.png

what was I just saying about eh Donnely's manufacturing fake cover art to sell? :gossip:

I get what you are saying. But what you are also doing is questioning the way OA is priced.
Nothing in the ad is false that I can see. Was it unpublished? Yes. Does it say so? Yes. Was it restored, and does it say so? Yes.
Excluding the restoration part, how is this different, really, then a piece of art in a beautiful frame? Over the years, I have picked up a few pieces in which the frame is better than the art. Nicely decorative, good for offices.
I still remember passing on a page about 6 months ago that I would have bought, except that the Phantom Stranger’s image was a stat. Otherwise, it was just some nicely drawn regular people from the early 70’s. Not worth my investment.

Which brings me to my point. Trade dress, or anything besides the actual pencils and inks shouldn’t affect value, even if it does. A restoration should effect value, but maybe, not so much. Next time you see something like this, treat it as slightly better a sketch, as the original seller did. 

Leaving aside the specific cost/value of a piece.  My issue is with the (for lack of a better term) provenance and description.  With the unpublished Conan cover, after changing hands a few times, will it be noted that it is restored and by how much?  This should be indicated by every seller.  Also, again, regardless of price, trade dress in some ways legitimizes the older pieces.