• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK ADAM starring Dwayne Johnson (TBD)
7 7

1,456 posts in this topic

On 10/23/2022 at 11:46 PM, Bosco685 said:

I think that is the challenge modern comic book movies are going to face moving forward. We are now 113 movies since 1978 that are either DC or Marvel properties ranging from traditional characters to the unique (Men In Black, V For Vendetta, RED). Not even including other properties like The Crow, Hellboy, Wanted, Hancock, etc. Uniqueness on the big screen will require the smallest but most relevant of tweaks. 

113 films? Wow. That's one heck of a marathon. And to think, it all really started with Blade. Who knew when watching that we'd end up here. What a journey! 

On 10/21/2022 at 3:07 PM, media_junkie said:

Why in the world would I listen to these "critics" when they collectively gave WW84 a 58%.  58% for that absolute dog pile of a film.

No thank you, I'll take my chances and see this in the theater next week.

I agree on WW84. That was a painful movie to waste two and a half hours of your life on.

On 10/23/2022 at 9:47 AM, Bosco685 said:

You meant the third highest solo budget since Man of Steel since 2013, right?

No. 

I don't care about frivolous qualifiers that attempt to paper over failure. 

This, and Shazam, a movie that also didn't make any money, with half the budget, are the two lowest DCEU films and only $10MM more than ant-man from 8 years ago, unadjusted and on far fewer screens.  That just is not good for a movie with a ~$350MM production and marketing expense.  Looks like my original $400MM-$500MM total run estimate is still very much in play.  

Obviously this movie has a few weeks of no competition ahead of it , and a miracle could happen, but right now the only thing I can smell the Rock cooking is disappointment.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 10/23/2022 at 1:15 PM, Jaydogrules said:

No. 

This, and Shazam, a movie that also didn't make any money, with half the budget, are the two lowest DCEU films and only $10MM more than ant-man from 8 years ago, unadjusted and on far fewer screens.  That just is not good for a movie with a ~$350MM production and marketing expense.  Looks like my original $400MM-$500MM total run estimate is still very much in play.  

Obviously this movie has a few weeks of no competition ahead of it , and a miracle could happen, but right now the only thing I can smell the Rock cooking is disappointment.

-J.

F0A97570-30E9-43C1-81DE-F85D314F8C17.webp

Is it Halloween already?

On 10/23/2022 at 1:15 PM, Jaydogrules said:

No. 

-J.

Sorry. I forgot about you mocking up marketing results.

To determine final profits, what were the following:

1. Actual P&A Budget number (not a wild guesstimate to reinforce a negative narrative).
  2. revenue-sharing deals with creators and cast.
  3. Location tax breaks and expense discounts to encourage buying from regional suppliers.
  4. Cast salary discounted rates to star with Dwayne Johnson.
  5. Merchandising licenses tied to the movie.
  6. Product placement revenue.

You have all this handy, right?

On 10/23/2022 at 10:45 AM, Bosco685 said:

Is it Halloween already?

Sorry. I forgot about you mocking up marketing results.

To determine final profits, what were the following:

1. Actual P&A Budget number (not a wild guesstimate to reinforce a negative narrative).
  2. revenue-sharing deals with creators and cast.
  3. Location tax breaks and expense discounts to encourage buying from regional suppliers.
  4. Cast salary discounted rates to star with Dwayne Johnson.
  5. Merchandising licenses tied to the movie.
  6. Product placement revenue.

You have all this handy, right?

Do I need all that ? 

No

These are estimates.  

A typical p&A budget for a "major tentpole" is around $150MM.  A bare minimum for ANY movie with a worldwide release is about $100MM.  It doesn't take a film genius to figure that this turkey is on the high side of that.  

Ancillaries can offset but they don't change what the movie cost and they don't help to make it turn a profit.  

THE THING HAS TO ACTUALLY MAKE MONEY TO DO THAT.

And this one didn't make very much in its opening weekend. 

At the end of the day , WB went all in on Dwyane and only made another $13MM more on opening weekend than they did with Shazam, on half the budget and no "stars".

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 10/23/2022 at 2:05 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Do I need all that ? 

No

These are estimates.  

A typical p&A budget for a "major tentpole" is around $150MM.  A bare minimum for ANY movie with a worldwide release is about $100MM.  It doesn't take a film genius to figure that this turkey is on the high side of that.  

Ancillaries can offset but they don't change what the movie cost and they don't help to make it turn a profit.  

THE THING HAS TO ACTUALLY MAKE MONEY TO DO THAT.

And this one didn't make very much in its opening weekend. 

At the end of the day , WB went all in on Dwyane and only made another $13MM more on opening weekend than they did with Shazam, on half the budget and no "stars".

-J.

So you don't know those details, but rather talk around it? Gotcha.

-B.

I saw it and the movie was fine. Nothing special, but definitely not bad. Black Adam is going to be a player in the DCEU and it was a good introduction to a character I frankly did not know too much about. The only comic book I read with him in it was DC Comics Presents 49 so my knowledge was pretty limited. I was stoked when the post-credit scene came on. After all the WB turmoil, they finally got something right!

On 10/22/2022 at 6:03 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

If @Cat hadn't mentioned it, I wouldn't have seen nor known the connection. Lol

I was hoping for a little nod towards their connection, since I am familiar John's JSA run. It was nice to see them put in a little something there at the end, especially since John's is an executive producer on the film. 

On 10/23/2022 at 1:49 PM, Bosco685 said:

I spoke in big words. Someone got confused.

D2.PNG.c8d8bb8db33570beeb14065fe8e12b18.PNG

:roflmao:

And I am the one creeping behind the scenes following someone. :nyah:

Sorry?

You think I am following you? You think that I think about you?

LOL

You're so sweet.

No, I was just genuinely confused how you seem to always have conflict on these boards.

On 10/23/2022 at 6:06 PM, media_junkie said:

Dude, conflict is what the internet was invented for.  Come on!

LOL

that's very true. 

Let's create a platform in which people can connect and discuss any topic, at any time during the day, say anything, and be anonymous. 

What could go wrong?

On 10/23/2022 at 5:54 PM, D2 said:

Sorry?

You think I am following you? You think that I think about you?

LOL

You're so sweet.

No, I was just genuinely confused how you seem to always have conflict on these boards.

You should check your own landing page. Or what the internet categorizes as 'trolling'. You earned the t-shirt.