• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK PANTHER 2 directed by Ryan Coogler (TBD)
8 8

829 posts in this topic

This has potential to bomb for me if Shuri still acts like a child in the role of BP. Boseman's character was so good because he didn't quip 24/7 like most of the other bozos. If Wright's character doesn't take the role seriously, I'll be mentally checked-out.

Thought the trailer was very powerful...I care not at all for some design/costume changes, as it's the -script I'm most interested in.  Superb cinematography.  Looking forward to it.

Dan

Not the first time we've all heard of how poorly Disney/Marvel treats the VFX units, but what was interesting about this article was that it specifically mentioned one example and why the final product was a mess: The final battle in the first Black Panther. Here's hoping they actually have a director of photography working on the sequel this time when they need it :D 

Edited by Sauce Dog

Awesome... WTH is a "Talocan?"

I guess we're getting to be "Namor" in "Name" only. My biggest peeve is moving on from Atlantis. Are they that afraid someone will confuse with Aquaman? I thought the MCU was the big movie kid on the comic block. 

Edited by rexinnih

The myth of Atlantis comes from Ancient Greece.  At the time they thought it was probably somewhere off of the coast of Europe, and there are ancient Greek cities that are now underwater that are possible sources for where the idea originated.

Fast forward to Iron Man 2 in the MCU.  There was a map shown in that film pictured below that many have been assuming was the location of Atlantis.  Atlantis in fiction has mostly been depicted as being vaguely Greek in terms of appearance and culture, but if this is the location they've been planning since when IM2 was written then you would assume their culture would be far closer to that of Africa, or possibly South America.  The idea that they went with tying them to South American culture makes sense, and just the fact that it's between both continents is my best guess for why they wanted to tie Namor's emergence to Black Panther.  There may end up being some ancient association drawn between Talocan and Wakanda.  The far history of South America and Africa is that they used to be a single land mass that split apart around 140 million years ago, and that history could come into play within the film's story given that Talocan is located almost at the midpoint between the two continents.

I don't have enough tie to the historical fiction surrounding Atlantis to miss it.  The name change seems obvious--they've been planning a different Atlantis than history describes, so they changed the name.  If they've been planning this since well before Iron Man 2 released in 2010 then this wouldn't be any change related to the Aquaman film given that the DC film wasn't on anyone's radar back in 2008 or 2009.

OMGFINALJEEZ.jpg

Edited by fantastic_four

The other Namor reference in past MCU films I'm aware of was in Endgame.  After the plot skips ahead years after Thor kills Thanos Black Widow is having a holographic conference with Nebula, Rocket, Okoye, Captain Marvel, and James Rhodes.  Widow asks Okoye about an underwater earthquake, and she says that Wakanda tied it to a location off of the African coast and that it's nothing to worry about.  That seems to generally match up with the Iron Man 2 SHIELD map and probably will end up being the first establishment of a link between Talocan and Wakanda.

Interesting tidbit I just found about Namor--when Bill Everett created the character in 1939 he was trying to come up with unique character names by taking well-known words and reversing them.  "Namor" was a result of him reversing the name of the Roman empire.

On 7/28/2022 at 1:10 PM, fantastic_four said:

Interesting tidbit I just found about Namor--when Bill Everett created the character in 1939 he was trying to come up with unique character names by taking well-known words and reversing them.  "Namor" was a result of him reversing the name of the Roman empire.

In all these years of appreciating the character, I had never read this influence until now.

On 7/28/2022 at 1:36 PM, Bosco685 said:

In all these years of appreciating the character, I had never read this influence until now.

this is a distant memory, but iirc, in reading some all winners comics in the 60's reprints, i think the baddie gets the team suspicious of subby cuz a note is written to "my dear roman," or words to that effect, and they decipher it as being namor backwards and think he might have thrown in with the villain.  i think it's in f. masterpieces 10, but i'm not around my copy.

Edited by Straw-Man