• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,092 posts in this topic

On 3/17/2022 at 5:22 PM, zen514 said:

50k vs 26k   sounds like 96% difference 

and not neck at neck

I dunno, maybe it's one of those rare instances where one sold for a bargain because it was overlooked, private sale or even a scam (not sure if it gets reported on GPA).  Since it both of those sales are different years (I'd like to compare both books that sold around the same time period to be more accurate because markets can change year in and year out), maybe 2013 was a down year for pre-robin Tec books? Maybe the Tec 33 had poor page quality and/or bad eye appeal?  Can't tell without side by side pictures.

But for the majority of the data that I've seen as well as my past experiences collecting pre-robin tecs, prices overall were neck and neck.  Similar to Tec 29 and 31.  I guess the only thing we can agree on is that both books are in an upward trajectory.

I owned the tec 33 6.5 eye appeal was excellent. PQ was a first gen label light tan to cream. I should have done a straight resub in hindshight.

If you look at GPA  2013 was when tec 33 started to trend upwards. 

2012 3.0  was 12k for    tec 33 and  16k for tec35

But I agree all Pre Robin Tecs are great and also pretty nifty investments

The More Fun 52 3.0 went over $95 large! Holy Toledo. But that book is not easy to find, really never has been. I spent a couple of years looking for one. My 4.5 Conserved bought for $10k in 2007 looks like quite the bargain now.  The "new" golden age market never ceases to amaze. There appears to be no ceiling for anything.

On 3/17/2022 at 10:02 PM, twmjr1 said:

The More Fun 52 3.0 went over $95 large! Holy Toledo. But that book is not easy to find, really never has been. I spent a couple of years looking for one. My 4.5 Conserved bought for $10k in 2007 looks like quite the bargain now.  The "new" golden age market never ceases to amaze. There appears to be no ceiling for anything.

Congrats!! Such cool Golden Age Key. So Rare!!

Well its about time it  caught to the bug run up in silver, bronze and copper

The disparity was too substantial. Glad the gap is closing 

Edited by zen514

On 3/17/2022 at 1:51 PM, Dark Knight said:

Still kicking myself for not buying the Lloyd Jacquett Marvel 1 Oct. proof copy for under $20k back in 2013 :pullhair:.  That's what happens when you don't MANNUP :manhero: :Rocket:

Ironic that you mention this copy as I know who owns it and he just sent me a pic...where would you value you it now in relation to the other sales tonight?

Edited by dem1138

Re: Detective 33 outbidding Detective 35 by a wide margin in this auction

Is it possible that new buyers in the marketplace are not dumb rubes throwing money at an investment they don't fully understand (as many boardies have suggested); but instead are savvier comic book afficinados who know better that to merely judge a book's value by its cover art?

Tec 35 has a much better cover than Tec 33, but come on! A better cover compared to the Origin of Batman--arguably the second most famous story in the history of comics? There should be no comparison here. The real comparison should be between Tec 33 and Batman #1: the origin of an all-time great hero vs the first appearance of two of his all-time great villains.

On 3/17/2022 at 7:08 PM, zen514 said:
On 3/17/2022 at 7:02 PM, comicnoir said:

$2,427,777.65

SOLD FOR

Thanks!! Wowza!

Wowza in terms of the final price or wowza in the fact that the book was unable to garner any further bids during the last few hours of the auction.  :whatthe:

Hope that $2,111,111 bid that somebody placed earlier in the day was not meant by the bidder as a tracking bid only.  :fear:  lol

I’m assuming without knowing that all the CC books with the 15% markup come from the same source. Do we know who it was that assembled such a beautiful collection? And if someone here in the hive-mind does know, do we know why now? Are they doing a Jon Berk exit from the hobby, or staying further involved?

We have talked a lot about the importance of the backstory behind the OO(think Promise Collection), but I also have a fascination focused on the backstory of the emotional upheaval that goes with taking an exit ramp from this soul - gripping hobby

On 3/17/2022 at 7:18 PM, Chicago Boy said:
On 3/17/2022 at 5:13 PM, Dark Knight said:

Wow, impressive result for the Marvel 1 2.5 @ $363,528!!!  Same copy sold in 2017 for around $87k.  Big gain!

was that with the juice ?

Yup!  Huge price!!!  Blew my expectations away by a large margin lol

On 3/17/2022 at 7:47 PM, dem1138 said:
On 3/17/2022 at 1:51 PM, Dark Knight said:

Still kicking myself for not buying the Lloyd Jacquett Marvel 1 Oct. proof copy for under $20k back in 2013 :pullhair:.  That's what happens when you don't MANNUP :manhero: :Rocket:

Ironic that you mention this copy as I know who owns it and he just sent me a pic...where would you value you it now in relation to the other sales tonight?

Small world!!!  That's awesome you know who owns it, he must be jumping for joy owning it.  I know I would!!  In terms of value, I have no idea really.  I believe at that time when I saw it up for sale raw (I know it resold graded later on), the book was I think valued less than a regular normal copy of Marvel 1 maybe because there were no ads on the interior front cover?  It was blank from what I remembered.  

But since it is a unique copy and only one in existence, I think it's the opposite from then and worth a lot more now.  Pricewise, I dunno tbh...  

A few observations on the overall auction so far.

First, the 15% on some items, they need to get this figured out. I can't tell if it is added on with the price or not, and looking at closed sales I still have no idea.  To have spent all that money revamping the website to not account for something that is basic functionality on an auction site is mind-boggling.

Second, I was experiencing some severe site lag while trying to bid.  Pages loading very slow, bids taking up to ten seconds to register, etc.  I tried it on different computers at home and work so I don't think it was a local issue, I'm surprised I haven't seen this mentioned yet (perhaps it was several pages back).  Inexcusable for a site selling million dollar items.  I sure hope a lawsuit occurred between Metropolis and whomever redid their website.  I still pine for the old version.  Why they changed it so I have to click twice to watch an item instead of once is such a time waster.  And just the act of watching an item was taking 5 seconds with the site lag.  Very annoying.

Results wise, I agree there were certainly some strong numbers, esp for early Timelys and key books.  But also some signs of weakness.  Starting 49 in 9.0 for $20,763.  A 7.0 went for $19,000 on HA two months ago.  Someone is mad about this one.  Seemed like a lot of the lower graded Timely/Atlas stuff went pretty cheap (but I got a few deals so happy about this!). 

I thought the More Fun 52 was a nice result.  Not sure I'll ever have a chance at this book now...:sorry:

And the Flash 1 in 1.5 for $80K.  Wow.  MMC 9 4.0 with tape and ct for $33K, impressive but a tough book.  All Star 8 in 4.5 for $56,879 seems cheap considering a 5.0 just sold on ebay last month for $93,500.  Much better eye appeal on that one, a sign the discerning buyer is paying more attention to the book than the number, which is a good sign. 

And then the head scratcher of the day/week/year, the Action 1 cover piece that says #1 for $7,100.  Really now.  Makes that bag of pieces from last year for a couple hundred bucks seem like a real steal.  I wonder what just the staples would go for?  Crazy world...  Makes the half-eaten Tec 27 back cover seem like a real steal by comparison.  

Anyways, should be fun to watch the rest of this end, good luck.  I hope that Whiz 1 gets some life to it at half recent sales right now...

On 3/18/2022 at 10:12 AM, Dark Knight said:

Small world!!!  That's awesome you know who owns it, he must be jumping for joy owning it.  I know I would!!  In terms of value, I have no idea really.  I believe at that time when I saw it up for sale raw (I know it resold graded later on), the book was I think valued less than a regular normal copy of Marvel 1 maybe because there were no ads on the interior front cover?  It was blank from what I remembered.  

But since it is a unique copy and only one in existence, I think it's the opposite from then and worth a lot more now.  Pricewise, I dunno tbh...  

He knew what he was buying at the time (around 2019, I think) and thought the market was discounting it for what it was rather than asking a premium over and above.  Regardless, its certainly worth quite a bit more now than what he paid back then and a private buyer would likely pay strong because of its recognized significance even though its not a 'typical' unrestored copy off the press.  Its also pretty cool that the cover proof is of an October copy.

On 3/18/2022 at 11:09 AM, mwotka said:

And then the head scratcher of the day/week/year, the Action 1 cover piece that says #1 for $7,100.  Really now.  Makes that bag of pieces from last year for a couple hundred bucks seem like a real steal.  I wonder what just the staples would go for?  Crazy world...  Makes the half-eaten Tec 27 back cover seem like a real steal by comparison.  

image.thumb.png.4ae9ec27f8ad266af84d8dabca039b3a.png

This was discussed last year by the board member who submitted it to CGC as a Walk-Through - though I don't think he was the original buyer from 2013.  

image.thumb.png.6a86cf9d3b63caef979b7ad0a6f9b9c9.png

Edited by Dr. Love

On 3/18/2022 at 4:08 PM, Dr. Love said:

image.thumb.png.4ae9ec27f8ad266af84d8dabca039b3a.png

This was discussed last year by the board member who submitted it to CGC as a Walk-Through - though I don't think he was the original buyer from 2013.  

image.thumb.png.6a86cf9d3b63caef979b7ad0a6f9b9c9.png

He was not but he is a boardie also