• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,092 posts in this topic

On 3/16/2022 at 10:45 PM, Primetime said:

The 2.5 Marvel 1 🔥 is sitting at $276k and ends tomorrow. Very strong so far considering a 4.5 just sold on HA two months ago for $360k. Not to mention the pay copy is also doing pretty well at $1.644 M 👀

1.9 mil, got to add in the buyers premium.

On 3/17/2022 at 2:24 AM, zen514 said:

The 4.5 was  like a 3.5

The 4.5 didnt have great eye appeal that nasty tape residue along the  full length of the spine. Also it was the first non high grade MC1 to be in auction. Kinda normal the next ones fetch a higher price since people see the results. Kinda like Bats1  and Cap1. MC just didnt have many  available in auction since its uber rare compared to aforementioned  

Its going to hit over 300k most likely and 

2.2   for the historic 9.2

Yea no question the Marvel 1 2.5 > 4.5. I think more copies of Marvel 1 will come out for sale after these current strong prices. All this is cyclical. I remember many years ago where there was an abundant supply of Marvel 1s for sale at auctions and on dealer walls and websites. Marvel 1 at that time underperformed compared to other GA mega keys.  Now it's obviously the opposite. Would be interesting to see if this will hold up long term as well as other key books. 

As of now, the current comic book market is not slowing down in terms of record breaking sales where some people have feared.  

On 3/17/2022 at 10:43 AM, Dark Knight said:

Yea no question the Marvel 1 2.5 > 4.5. I think more copies of Marvel 1 will come out for sale after these current strong prices. All this is cyclical. I remember many years ago where there was an abundant supply of Marvel 1s for sale at auctions and on dealer walls and websites. Marvel 1 at that time underperformed compared to other GA mega keys.  Now it's obviously the opposite. Would be interesting to see if this will hold up long term as well as other key books. 

As of now, the current comic book market is not slowing down in terms of record breaking sales where some people have feared.  

Ummm… Unrestored Marvel 1  

32 copies and barely any cbcs ungraded to my knowledge    Unrestored

Unrestored Batman 1  131 and not counting the ungraded and Cbcs etc

Bat 1 and Cap1 were never scarce 

if you want a batman 1 there are already 2 on cc site and many other venues. Same  with cap1

Marvel 1  is in a its own league  as the 3rd top Golden Age Key 

The trend is here to stay. Namor in MCU will just push it forward to its righful place🥉

It was 🥇and 🥈   Cap 1 and Bats 1 could never claim  the  top 2  Vs Ac1 and Tec27   mtruly scarce and historic.

Marvel has the history and will

People said  Tec 33  was nothing and it was sellinh for half of TeC 35 in the last decade. It was just undervalued.

Im not saying Bat1 and cap1 arent great and fairly valued. MC1 is undervalued

On 3/17/2022 at 8:07 AM, zen514 said:

Ummm… Unrestored Marvel 1  

32 copies and barely any cbcs ungraded to my knowledge    Unrestored

Unrestored Batman 1  131 and not counting the ungraded and Cbcs etc

Bat 1 and Cap1 were never scarce 

if you want a batman 1 there are already 2 on cc site and many other venues. Same  with cap1

Marvel 1  is in a its own league  as the 3rd top Golden Age Key 

The trend is here to stay. Namor in MCU will just push it forward to its righful place🥉

It was 🥇and 🥈   Cap 1 and Bats 1 could never claim  the  top 2  Vs Ac1 and Tec27   mtruly scarce and historic.

Marvel has the history and will

People said  Tec 33  was nothing and it was sellinh for half of TeC 35 in the last decade. It was just undervalued.

Im not saying Bat1 and cap1 arent great and fairly valued. MC1 is undervalued

Do you think Marvel 1 is still undervalued?  Yes Marvel 1 has the history and it's a great book, actually either my #2 or #3 favorite book in the golden age behind Tec 27. So, definitely not trying to undervalue the book nor degrading its importance.  

Yes, it's true that there are less copies out there of Marvel 1 compared to Bat 1 and Cap 1.  Out of the top 10 GA keys, I think Bat 1 is the most common. Even if there are hundreds of copies of Bat 1 out there, it is still commanding a high price.  It's very liquid and still high in demand for as long as I can remember.  Sometimes rarity does not translate to more valuable.  If that's the case, then every platinum age book should be more valuable than golden age and silver age, but it's not the case.  All about popularity and key issues and in today's comic book market, hype/movie centered characters for the most part.  

Are the hike in prices of Marvel 1 caused by the the rumors/speculation surrounding Namor/Submariner that he will be in a Marvel movie or is it because of the love and history of the book?  if it's purely on the speculation that Subby will be in a Marvel movie, than Motion Picture Funnies Weekly being it is the 1st app of Namor should be in the same level as Marvel Comics #1 or more.  There's what only a dozen copies in existence?  

Nothing will trump Action 1 and Tec 27 as the #1 and #2 book in the hobby.  Period.  Those books will remain in that position (it's possible they can switch spots) forever!  

Taking a glance at the Heritage archives on past sales of Marvel #1 (of course more copies sold in different venues as well as privately).  From 2002 - 2010, there was on avg. 3-4 copies that sold.  From 2011 until 2020, roughly just one copy for sale. There was maybe a couple years in that time period where no copies were sold. This was the point I was talking about where Marvel 1 was for some reason held in private collections, rarely up for sale until recently in 2021 where there were 2 copies that sold and so far this year 3 copies known.  Who knows if there are other private deals in the works today.  So I am predicting volume will pick up once again and bring out more copies for sale restored and unrestored.  

Lastly, with regards to Tec 33 vs Tec 35.  For as long as I've been collecting Pre-Robins, it seems that both books are neck and neck in price. There was really no large discrepancy in value at least in low - mid grades.  There was never a period that I can recall where a Tec 33 sold for half a Tec 35? :whatthe:  If that actually happened, I must've been in hibernation mode lol.  

I've always thought Tec 33 is undervalued.  I think it is more important historically than Tec 29 and Tec 31 which sells for higher.   But, it looks like cooler covers rule and Tec 33 is lacking in that department compared to those two.   

On 3/16/2022 at 4:57 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Wow. It appears that a little bit of glue didn’t bother anyone.

I don’t Know if this includes the 15% vig

C28EB790-8452-46D5-96A1-9B210E03F3C1.png

It probably would have pushed $400k without the restoration.  

-J.

On 3/17/2022 at 9:43 AM, Dark Knight said:

i know where one might come out from.

On 3/17/2022 at 1:16 PM, Terry JSA said:
On 3/17/2022 at 1:06 PM, Gotham Kid said:

$2,111,111 (sans BP) with 3hrs to go :whatthe:

This will hit 3Mil+ by the time it is over.

Could it beat the AF #15 in record price? 

Someone will definitely pay up for this