• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,092 posts in this topic

On 3/10/2023 at 12:39 PM, Gotham Kid said:

it won't break 6 figs

Really, you think so?

Because pages 1 and 5 alone have sold for $27K and $25K at auction last I recall. The other 5 Superman pages average about $10K-$15K. Even if you error on the side of caution and put them at $10K each, which several definitely clear, but even at $10K, that's over $100K that the Supes pages alone have sold for. And those were several years ago. I know it has the conservation and is missing the centerfold, but you really don't think the book as a whole doesn't break 6 figs? Especially including the several parts of the cover added, which may as well be considered unicorns since parts of the cover never come up for sale, except for two times. When the 3/4th's cover sold many years ago, and the recent graded part that was the #1 and sold for around $7K.

On 3/10/2023 at 3:07 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Really, you think so?

Because pages 1 and 5 alone have sold for $27K and $25K at auction last I recall. The other 5 Superman pages average about $10K-$15K. Even if you error on the side of caution and put them at $10K each, which several definitely clear, but even at $10K, that's over $100K that the Supes pages alone have sold for. And those were several years ago. I know it has the conservation and is missing the centerfold, but you really don't think the book as a whole doesn't break 6 figs? Especially including the several parts of the cover added, which may as well be considered unicorns since parts of the cover never come up for sale, except for two times. When the 3/4th's cover sold many years ago, and the recent graded part that was the #1 and sold for around $7K.

Every one of those pages would sport a purple label, so there’s that

On 3/3/2023 at 10:08 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I’ve had a hard time evaluating this myself. Leaf casting was done to the pages, so it’s impossible to know how much is real and how much isn’t. 

this is not the usual case where the restoration is confined to the cover.

don’t get me wrong: I’d love to have it. I just don’t have any hammer predictions 

So just realized it actually details what part of the interior had leaf casting done:

"On the interior, no art is missing (except cf) and there is only reinforcement of the spine and edges. The leaf casting does not affect the art."

I mean if we're just talking the spine and edges, seems like the book still contains predominantly the original paper.

Just took a quick look at their top books to date and was rather surprised to see this one right up there with a bid of $46K already:  :whatthe:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/986599

ven1.229.jpg

I guess I really shouldn't be since classic PCH covers are absolutely red hot right now and it certainly doesn't hurt to have this book sharing the cover spotlight on their auction catalog pamphlet.  Just checked their archives and it looks like this is the exact same copy that CC had sold for $52.5K back in March of 2021, so I guess we'll see if the consignor ends up sailing away on their yacht or under water by the time it's all said and done next Friday night.:popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/5/2023 at 5:09 PM, Professor K said:
On 3/5/2023 at 3:23 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I've got tracking bids down that may have me saying "oops, I did it again".  C'mon people!

Maybe I shouldn't say this but to me the CC auctions don't start until the 3 minute timer begins, prior to that they're just previews.  

I believe you would probably be correct with your assessment here, as the high bids which I have on most of the books here are not only still holding for now, but have not seen any additional bidding action for the past two weeks.  :)  :wishluck:

Actually, with the CC auctions in the past, I tend to find that for most of the lots, the real bidders don't come in and sniff around until the final morning of when the lots are actually closing.:popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Looks like this copy of Batman 1 has managed to slowly inched its way up to the $112K price point for now, with one more day left to go:  (thumbsu

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/988978

bat1.21359_3.jpg

Will be interesting to see its current trend and if its able to get anywhere close to the huge $270K mark that CC was able to fetch for an equivalent 2.5 graded copy in their March Event Auction last year in 2022. :popcorn: :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

On 3/13/2023 at 12:42 PM, lou_fine said:

Looks like this copy of Batman 1 has managed to slowly inched its way up to the $112K price point for now, with one more day left to go:  (thumbsu

bat1.21359_3.jpg

Will be interesting to see its current trend and if its able to get anywhere close to the huge $270K mark that CC was able to fetch for an equivalent 2.5 graded copy in their March Event Auction last year in 2022. :popcorn: :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

I remember that one.   :acclaim:Same exact grade, too, so we will know a little sumthin sumthin about the current market in a minute here

856E8067-B381-43B3-9FA4-CD1F17747A41.jpeg

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 3/13/2023 at 10:42 AM, lou_fine said:

bat1.21359_3.jpg

wow and to think I had 5 to 6 copies in vg and my highest copy around 5.0 was unrestored till I had it restored in the early 80s and to think I kept that one :makepoint:

On 3/13/2023 at 9:46 PM, woowoo said:

wow and to think I had 5 to 6 copies in vg and my highest copy around 5.0 was unrestored till I had it restored in the early 80s and to think I kept that one :makepoint:

I don't think I've ever read so many fails in one sentence in my life. jk.  At least you have that one. lol. :tonofbricks:

On 3/13/2023 at 7:56 PM, Telegan said:

I don't think I've ever read so many fails in one sentence in my life. jk.  At least you have that one. lol. :tonofbricks:

I do have a Tec 27 in fair condition that I got from E Gerber himself when I drove up there and I turned into a vg restored if that helps.

old comic pictures 5.png

On 3/13/2023 at 7:38 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I remember that one.   :acclaim:Same exact grade, too, so we will know a little sumthin sumthin about the current market in a minute here

856E8067-B381-43B3-9FA4-CD1F17747A41.jpeg

some people made double their money that they cried about at first when they bought the book :preach:Image result for grumpy old man meme

Edited by woowoo

On 3/13/2023 at 10:42 AM, lou_fine said:

bat1.21359_3.jpg

My former copy from 2012-17 when it was in a cgc 2.0 label. 

On 3/13/2023 at 8:09 PM, woowoo said:

I do have a Tec 27 in fair condition that I got from E Gerber himself when I drove up there and I turned into a vg restored if that helps.

old comic pictures 5.png

Can you please re-take this picture. It's so blurry that it's hard to see.  Thanks!

On 3/14/2023 at 11:33 AM, BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES said:

Interesting decision made by the consigner re the Superman 1 coverless.  The staples were clearly rusted and that supposedly gets worse over time if you don't clean them.  But cleaning the staples gets a "did something to it" label whereas removing the staples does not.  So they removed the staples, which removed the ongoing threat to the paper but also meant removing two original pieces from the book.  Most people would probably presume that keeping every tiny bit of the OG would be better than tossing them, but each hobby has its trigger words so tossing them seems the better choice.    

tough choice

In a preview video done by Vinny Z for this event auction, there was a Superman 1 CGC 2.0 shown on there. I wonder if that book somehow became the 1.0 currently up for grabs? hm

Or did the consignor decide to take it down due to the 3 copies up?  From the short preview of that book, it sure looked one helluva a nice copy.