• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,092 posts in this topic

On 8/26/2023 at 3:17 PM, Professor K said:

Opera Snapshot_2023-08-26_024933_www.comicconnect.com.png

Any opinions as to which one of these L.B. Cole classic spider covers would be worth more in today's marketplace if in equivalent grade:  ???

sus3.132a.jpg

Woud it be the later CGC 6.5 graded copy of STT 11 from 1952 that just sold for $33,350 or say an equivalent graded 6.5 copy of Suspense 8 from 1945 with his earlier orignal take on the "spider" cover?  hm  (shrug)

On 8/27/2023 at 12:54 AM, lou_fine said:

Any opinions as to which one of these L.B. Cole classic spider covers would be worth more in today's marketplace if in equivalent grade:  ???

sus3.132a.jpg

Woud it be the later CGC 6.5 graded copy of STT 11 from 1952 that just sold for $33,350 or say an equivalent graded 6.5 copy of Suspense 8 from 1945 with his earlier orignal take on the "spider" cover?  hm  (shrug)

I would have thought Suspense 8 No Doubt,  but even in 6.5 I'm not too sure it would reach 33K. I just saw a new sale of STT 11 on 8/26  on e bay- 8.0 got a best offer accepted from an asking price of 74,999.95 (yes .95). Wonder what that offer was. Most likely we'll see a few STT 11's come around by years end. I see no Suspense 8's in any previews right now so it may be a while until your question is definitively answered. 

On 8/25/2023 at 3:29 PM, RareHighGrade said:

All I know is that I find the uncalculated 15% add-on to be very confusing and annoying and I tend to bid less aggressively on those books as a result.

From a buyer's bidding POV, I actually don't tend to find it that confusing as long as you can differentiate the lots with the 15% BP from the ones that don't have a BP on them, and I feel that their 3-minute extended bidding time periods gives you more than enough time to do this simple calculation.  (thumbsu

If I remember correctly, it looks like this 15% BP started with the Quick Draw Western collection which they got consigned to them a couple of years ago and this was then followed up by the Kentucky Collection.  Looks like it's just another way for them to try to compete with the big boys at Heritage by offering potential consignors with "quality" collections or "quality" books to squeeze out an extra percentage point or so off from their standard 10% auction fee.  :)

On 8/26/2023 at 11:09 PM, Professor K said:

I would have thought Suspense 8 No Doubt,  but even in 6.5 I'm not too sure it would reach 33K. I just saw a new sale of STT 11 on 8/26  on e bay- 8.0 got a best offer accepted from an asking price of 74,999.95 (yes .95). Wonder what that offer was. Most likely we'll see a few STT 11's come around by years end. I see no Suspense 8's in any previews right now so it may be a while until your question is definitively answered. 

Yes, I would also tend to agree with you that a CGC 6.5 copy of Suspense might not reach this same $33K price point, especially since the CGC 9.2 graded copy was able to fetch only $60K back in 2021.  Then again, I somehow suspect that if the Promise Collection copy of Suspense 8 shouldre-enter the marketplace again, it's a pretty safe bet that it will be one of the few Promise retread  copy winners to come back to market.  Especially with somebody getting an accepted offer from an asking price of $74,999.95 (if a real eBay transaction) for a CGC 8.0 copy of ST11 even with 13 copies in CGC 8.0 or above, while the Suspense 8 has only this one single Highest graded 9.2 Promise copy in CGC 8.0 or above.  (thumbsu

As for that CGC 6.5 graded copy of Susense 8, looks like it was auctioned off for only a piddly $1,272 back in 2013.  Then again, maybe both of these books took off like a rocket since the pre-pandemic times since STT 11 was also not going great guns at only $776.75 for a CGC 5.0 copy back in 2015 and $1,971.75 for a much higher graded 8.0 copy of STT 11 back in 2013.  :Rocket:

Then again, this $33K sale of the STT 11 on CC could also possibly be really more of an outlier (although I personally don't think so) since Heritage was able to fetch only $15,600 for their equivalent  6.5 graded copy of STT 11 back just in October of last year.  hm  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/27/2023 at 2:09 AM, Professor K said:

Screenshot_20230826_204957_Chrome.jpg.dc15fba2acd482ba6d7ba6fd756662e7.jpg

On 8/26/2023 at 3:17 PM, Professor K said:

I was going to post a few closed auctions of books I thought were notable but I bailed halfway through the sving process. Just so my labor of saving these pics doesn't go to waste here are a few. And congrats to the new owner of a Detective 18. 

Opera Snapshot_2023-08-26_024654_www.comicconnect.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2023-08-26_024746_www.comicconnect.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2023-08-26_024824_www.comicconnect.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2023-08-26_024901_www.comicconnect.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2023-08-26_024933_www.comicconnect.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2023-08-26_025141_www.comicconnect.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2023-08-26_025219_www.comicconnect.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2023-08-26_025356_www.comicconnect.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2023-08-26_025439_www.comicconnect.com.png

I have six of those books. Now mine are a bit lower grade maybe half as nice as some. None the less, I am still shocked at the prices these going for 30-40 years after when I bought mine…:whatthe:

On 8/26/2023 at 11:19 PM, lou_fine said:

From a buyer's bidding POV, I actually don't tend to find it that confusing as long as you can differentiate the lots with the 15% BP from the ones that don't have a BP on them, and I feel that their 3-minute extended bidding time periods gives you more than enough time to do this simple calculation.  (thumbsu

If I remember correctly, it looks like this 15% BP started with the Quick Draw Western collection which they got consigned to them a couple of years ago and this was then followed up by the Kentucky Collection.  Looks like it's just another way for them to try to compete with the big boys at Heritage by offering potential consignors with "quality" collections or "quality" books to squeeze out an extra percentage point or so off from their standard 10% auction fee.  :)

It could also have been that these were less desirable and lower price western comics. The buyer’s premiums were probably established to prop up lower returns on books like this.

I have always preferred CC because they never used to use buyer’s premiums. 

On 8/27/2023 at 8:20 AM, Robot Man said:

It could also have been that these were less desirable and lower price western comics. The buyer’s premiums were probably established to prop up lower returns on books like this.

Well, with the 15% BP in place, I guess it's definitely more enticing for the consignor to pay only something like 8.7% for their auction fees instead of the standard 10% fee for both CC and CL or however more that Heritage would charge you.  (thumbsu

Then again, like some others have already stated here, thye just might be less tempted to bid when they see this 15% BP in the auction listing description.  (shrug)

Not sure if it's being targeted for the less desireable books, as it seems to be in place more so for the larger collections and/or "quality" books.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/27/2023 at 4:17 AM, Ryan. said:

Screenshot_20230826_204957_Chrome.jpg.dc15fba2acd482ba6d7ba6fd756662e7.jpg

On 8/27/2023 at 7:37 AM, october said:

Wow

Well at $62.5K, I would definitely agree with you here with a DOUBLE WOW or is it a DOUBLE  :screwy:  :screwy:, especially considering that there's 12 other copies in equivalent or higher grade than this copy here.  :whatthe:

:takeit:  :takeit:, the money that is.  lol

On 8/26/2023 at 12:35 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I’m not a Sub-Mariner guy, but I really considered 14. That depicts D Day on the cover, and I can’t believe it gets no special recognition on the label or in the value. This should be a breakout book

From the cover image and publication date of Fall 1944 for Subby 14, it would also appear to be a current real time historic depiction of the real life D-Day landing that actually took place on the beaches of Normandy on June 6 of 1944.  (thumbsu

Only problem is that it's not denoted as such in the Overstreet guide and probably as a result, it then is also not recognized as such by CGC and the various auction houses in their listing description.  :frown:

From a historic WWII cover POV, I noticed they had 2 copies of the fictional Churchill attempted assassination cover from Subby 3 in this auction: hm

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/1003669

sub1.898.jpg

Not sure if having two copies of the same book might have held their prices back a bit.  Probably not though as the mid-grade CGC 5.5 copy finished up at just over $6.5K while the above higher graded 7.5 copy finished up at a seemingly stong $10,019 which was more than the $7,200 that this exact same copy of Subby 3 was able to fetched on Heritage back at the end of 2020.  :applause:

On 8/28/2023 at 8:25 AM, lou_fine said:

From the cover image and publication date of Fall 1944 for Subby 14, it would also appear to be a current real time historic depiction of the real life D-Day landing that actually took place on the beaches of Normandy on June 6 of 1944.  (thumbsu

Only problem is that it's not denoted as such in the Overstreet guide and probably as a result, it then is also not recognized as such by CGC and the various auction houses in their listing description.  :frown:

From a historic WWII cover POV, I noticed they had 2 copies of the fictional Churchill attempted assassination cover from Subby 3 in this auction: hm

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/1003669

sub1.898.jpg

Not sure if having two copies of the same book might have held their prices back a bit.  Probably not though as the mid-grade CGC 5.5 copy finished up at just over $6.5K while the above higher graded 7.5 copy finished up at a seemingly stong $10,019 which was more than the $7,200 that this exact same copy of Subby 3 was able to fetched on Heritage back at the end of 2020.  :applause:

I’m the over zealous buyer of the 3 in 7.5 along with the 15, 16, 20 and 30.   The final prices for the 20 and 30 were close my own pre-auction estimates.  The 3, 15 and 16 were around $1000 to 1500 higher than I expected.

On 8/28/2023 at 5:01 PM, manetteska said:

Apologies in advaance if this is common knowledge, but on this book (or any like this), is the 15% already factored in? Or is it $4830+ 15% as it still says "will be added"?

image.thumb.png.1163f4362bb9c946d95160d0428f6e57.png

Yeah the displayed price has the 15% BP factored in already.

On 8/28/2023 at 4:01 PM, manetteska said:

Apologies in advaance if this is common knowledge, but on this book (or any like this), is the 15% already factored in? Or is it $4830+ 15% as it still says "will be added"?

image.thumb.png.1163f4362bb9c946d95160d0428f6e57.png

Lol.  This is part of the aggravation for many people. :)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but during the auction, the BP is not included in the current bid price you see.  After the auction, the BP is included in the "sold for" price, but the text that states a 15% BP will be added at the conclusion of the auction still remains, I guess.

So in this instance, the final bid that won the comic book was $4200 + 15% BP = $4830 total (again, assuming that $4830 really does include the BP).

On 8/28/2023 at 4:18 PM, podboy66 said:

I’m the over zealous buyer of the 3 in 7.5 along with the 15, 16, 20 and 30.   The final prices for the 20 and 30 were close my own pre-auction estimates.  The 3, 15 and 16 were around $1000 to 1500 higher than I expected.

I thought the off-register red on the #3 would hold it back. I was interested, but I wasn't willing to go above the $7,200 that it fetched last time. I thought that I would have a shot at it at that price.

On 8/28/2023 at 8:13 PM, Telegan said:

Lol.  This is part of the aggravation for many people. :)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but during the auction, the BP is not included in the current bid price you see.  After the auction, the BP is included in the "sold for" price, but the text that states a 15% BP will be added at the conclusion of the auction still remains, I guess.

So in this instance, the final bid that won the comic book was $4200 + 15% BP = $4830 total (again, assuming that $4830 really does include the BP).

Yep this is correct. The BP doesn't automatically show during the auction, you have to account for it yourself when you bid.

On 8/28/2023 at 7:25 PM, 10centcomics said:

Yep this is correct. The BP doesn't automatically show during the auction, you have to account for it yourself when you bid.

Similarly with Heritage when you are bidding live as the auctioneer's price does not yet include the 20% BP which gets added in at the end.  (thumbsu

On 8/29/2023 at 10:51 AM, lou_fine said:
On 8/29/2023 at 10:25 AM, 10centcomics said:

Similarly with Heritage when you are bidding live as the auctioneer's price does not yet include the 20% BP which gets added in at the end.  (thumbsu

The difference is that you know the BP is there on every book and can thus apply the same calculations to every lot.

On 8/28/2023 at 9:51 PM, lou_fine said:

From what I recall, when you're bidding on Heritage, they show you what your bid is along w/ buy power included on a confirmation message in most places.  When bidding live, don't they show you what the next available bid is along with that bid + bp?