• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,092 posts in this topic

On 8/28/2023 at 8:25 PM, Telegan said:

When bidding live, don't they show you what the next available bid is along with that bid + bp?

When you are bidding live, the auctioneer only calls out the "hammer'" bid (i.e. without the 20% BP) and I don't believe there is anything inside the room to show you what the total bid is including the 20%.  hm

Best is to hear from a boardie who has actually attended a live Heritage Auction in person and paid attention to the actual bidding.  (thumbsu

The only one I ever attended was down at the SD Con where they had over 100,000 fans in attendance, but could draw only less than 20 of them to attend the actual auction itself where the number of Heritage employees seemingly outnumbered the number of bidders there. :whatthe:

Lots of refreshments and snacks outside the bidding room with so few actual attendees.  :D 

On 8/28/2023 at 11:29 PM, lou_fine said:

When you are bidding live, the auctioneer only calls out the "hammer'" bid (i.e. without the 20% BP) and I don't believe there is anything inside the room to show you what the total bid is including the 20%.  hm

Best is to hear from a boardie who has actually attended a live Heritage Auction in person and paid attention to the actual bidding.  (thumbsu

The only one I ever attended was down at the SD Con where they had over 100,000 fans in attendance, but could draw only less than 20 of them to attend the actual auction itself where the number of Heritage employees seemingly outnumbered the number of bidders there. :whatthe:

Lots of refreshments and snacks outside the bidding room with so few actual attendees.  :D 

Ah nevermind.  I misunderstood.  By "bidding live", I thought you meant the online bidding during the day of the auction using HeritageLive (which is technically live bidding, I guess).  This is what I usually end up using (and always get outbid on... lol) :

Note in the screenshot they use the "next bid" and the "w/ bp".  You always know what the "real" price will be. lol.

image.thumb.jpeg.72e2dc0fa9b962e9631e71a0fd46b5b0.jpeg

On 8/28/2023 at 1:18 PM, podboy66 said:

I’m the over zealous buyer of the 3 in 7.5 along with the 15, 16, 20 and 30.   The final prices for the 20 and 30 were close my own pre-auction estimates.  The 3, 15 and 16 were around $1000 to 1500 higher than I expected.

Not over zealous from my POV as that is an early Timely issue and GA prices from 2020 is like a lifetime away in this Covid infected marketplace. (thumbsu

In addition, this is a GA Timely book with a super rare Churchill cover appearance and how many Churchill covers have we seen in comparison to Hitler covers and we know how super hot those books are in the marketplace. :bigsmile:

On 8/29/2023 at 12:38 PM, Telegan said:

Ah nevermind.  I misunderstood.  By "bidding live", I thought you meant the online bidding during the day of the auction using HeritageLive (which is technically live bidding, I guess).  This is what I usually end up using (and always get outbid on... lol) :

Note in the screenshot they use the "next bid" and the "w/ bp".  You always know what the "real" price will be. lol.

image.thumb.jpeg.72e2dc0fa9b962e9631e71a0fd46b5b0.jpeg

You have the correct interpretation.  The majority of people bidding live bid online, there were almost never any people bidding live in the room.  At best they might be bidding by phone. 

On 8/25/2023 at 5:33 PM, lou_fine said:

For the Schomburg airbrush cover collectors here, it looks like they've got a nice run of these in terms of the later Thrilling issues, but most of all, some of those nice Schomburg airbrush Wonder Comics issues.  :luhv:

Wow, looks like a suprisingly strong result here on this copy of Wonder 13, especially considering that the tears on multiple pages were significant enough for CGC to denote on their label:  :whatthe:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/1010465

won4.322.jpg

Sold for what I thought was a very very strong $3,500 for this condition grade and significantly higher than what an much nicer visually presenting equivalent 6.5 graded copy with better PQ and no qualifying tear defects was able to fetch for only $1,455 back in May of 2020.  Not sure if this is just an outlier or the latest hottest new book in terms of this fast moving marketplace that the speculators have decided to latch onto when it comes to the Schomburg airbrush covers.  hm  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/29/2023 at 5:21 PM, lou_fine said:

This Schomburg airbrush mid-grade copy of Wonder 15 also finished up strongly at $3,600 although nowhere near as surprisingly off the charts as the Wonder 13, given the noted defects and comparative historical valuations for these two books:  :luhv:   (thumbsu

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/1010467

won4.323.jpg

One of the better covers imho :luhv:

On 8/29/2023 at 4:21 PM, lou_fine said:

This Schomburg airbrush mid-grade copy of Wonder 15 also finished up strongly at $3,600 although nowhere near as surprisingly off the charts as the Wonder 13, given the noted defects and comparative historical valuations for these two books:  :luhv:   (thumbsu

won4.323.jpg

I was looking for more info about the book and noticed that specific book was being sold on this forum's "Comics Market" area about 4 years ago.

Edited by Telegan

On 8/29/2023 at 4:28 PM, Telegan said:

I was looking for more info about the book and noticed that specific book was being sold on this forum's "Comics Market" area about 4 years ago.

Do you have a link to the "Comics Market" transaction as I am curious as to what it sold for back then?  ???

On 8/29/2023 at 7:31 PM, lou_fine said:

Do you have a link to the "Comics Market" transaction as I am curious as to what it sold for back then?  ???

I'm not sure if it was sold, but here's the link.  Later in that thread, someone does ask about the comic and its condition and gets a response.  Not sure if it was ever sold in that thread or not - I only casually read through it.

On 8/29/2023 at 5:41 PM, Telegan said:

I'm not sure if it was sold, but here's the link.  Later in that thread, someone does ask about the comic and its condition and gets a response.  Not sure if it was ever sold in that thread or not - I only casually read through it.

Yep, looks like that's the one as the post is from April 2019 and states that it was just freshly slabbed  (i.e. March 19 of 2019).  (thumbsu

Also not sure if it sold or not, but nevertheless a nice strong bump up from the $1,500 asking price back in 2019 all the way up to $3,600 last Friday even though I would have to admit that I am not the biggest fan of the back cover visuals on this copy here, but it is what it is:  hm

won4.323b.jpg

On 8/29/2023 at 3:06 PM, lou_fine said:

Wow, looks like a suprisingly strong result here on this copy of Wonder 13, especially considering that the tears on multiple pages were significant enough for CGC to denote on their label:  :whatthe:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/1010465

won4.322.jpg

Sold for what I thought was a very very strong $3,500 for this condition grade and significantly higher than what an much nicer visually presenting equivalent 6.5 graded copy with better PQ and no qualifying tear defects was able to fetch for only $1,455 back in May of 2020.  Not sure if this is just an outlier or the latest hottest new book in terms of this fast moving marketplace that the speculators have decided to latch onto when it comes to the Schomburg airbrush covers.  hm  (shrug)

Bizarrely high prices don't faze me any longer. There are certain people out there with no patience and no impulse control. If they want a book, they want it now. It only takes two guys like that bidding against each other for a result like this.

On 8/30/2023 at 4:14 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Bizarrely high prices don't faze me any longer. There are certain people out there with no patience and no impulse control. If they want a book, they want it now. It only takes two guys like that bidding against each other for a result like this.

Indeed. There is no use in worrying about it. There is always something real pretty just around the corner…

Not sure, but has CC done another tweak or revamp to their website as it looks a bit different from the last time I looked at it?  (shrug)

Anyways, from a Scoop article a couple of weeks ago, it looks like with the sad passing of our esteemed fellow boardie and noted long time collector, Jon Berk, it would appear that the family will be auctioning off the rest of his books and artwork on CC that did not hit the auction block back in 2017:  :gossip:

https://www.comicconnect.com/browse/?filtertype=&search=jon+berk&save=submit&page=1&tzf=1

Looks like this includes his favorite book from his personal comic book collection, namely his Larson copy of Mystery Men 3.  :luhv:

Is CC even going to be close to ready for their upcoming Event Auction which supposedly starts in 5 days when they don't even have the scans for most thir lots up yet:  :facepalm:

https://www.comicconnect.com/auction-schedule?clear=1

It's very clear to be that the loss of Rob Reynolds, their long time Consignment Director and go to guy is clearly evident with this auction here.  :(

On 2/21/2024 at 7:28 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

The ComicConnect auctions last so long that they could wait a few weeks after the auction starts before posting scans, and it wouldn't make any difference.

True that wayyyyyyyyyy toooooooooooooo longgggggggggggggg

On 2/20/2024 at 11:16 PM, lou_fine said:

Is CC even going to be close to ready for their upcoming Event Auction which supposedly starts in 5 days when they don't even have the scans for most thir lots up yet:  :facepalm:

https://www.comicconnect.com/auction-schedule?clear=1

It's very clear to be that the loss of Rob Reynolds, their long time Consignment Director and go to guy is clearly evident with this auction here.  :(

What happened to Rob?