• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,482 posts in this topic

On 4/1/2023 at 7:36 PM, WolverineX said:

Man,  even though i already own the single issues,  you are making me want to buy that mm xmen...

Do eeeeeeet!

Trying to complete my ASM collection.

I have omnibus 1 to 5 so that gets me up to issue 180.

My raw collection starts at issue 194.

Is there an omnibus out there to fill the gap between 180 and 194 or is buying raw books my only option right now?

Thanks!

On 4/3/2023 at 1:34 PM, lostboys said:

Trying to complete my ASM collection.

I have omnibus 1 to 5 so that gets me up to issue 180.

My raw collection starts at issue 194.

Is there an omnibus out there to fill the gap between 180 and 194 or is buying raw books my only option right now?

Thanks!

There is no omnibus with these issues as of yet, but there is a hardcover option that would cover that gap.

Marvel Masterworks Volume 239 (Or Amazing Spider-Man Vol 18, depending on which cover you prefer) collects ASM 181-193, plus some other material. I think that's the only hardcover option at this point.The book is out of print, but you can still get copies for under $100. Presumably, whenever ASM Omni 6 is solicited, it will likely include the contents of that Masterworks, plus MMW ASM 19. But who knows when that will happen. There aren't any other omnis that have made it that far along, but if there is a title that would reach volume six, it would be ASM (or X-men).

Edited by F For Fake

On 4/3/2023 at 1:58 PM, F For Fake said:

There is no omnibus with these issues as of yet, but there is a hardcover option that would cover that gap.

Marvel Masterworks Volume 239 (Or Amazing Spider-Man Vol 18, depending on which cover you prefer) collects ASM 181-193, plus some other material. I think that's the only hardcover option at this point.The book is out of print, but you can still get copies for under $100. Presumably, whenever ASM Omni 6 is solicited, it will likely include the contents of that Masterworks, plus MMW ASM 19. But who knows when that will happen. There aren't any other omnis that have made it that far along, but if there is a title that would reach volume six, it would be ASM (or X-men).

Awesome, thanks...Ill go on Ebay and take a look.

On 4/3/2023 at 2:56 PM, lostboys said:

This may be a stooopit question but they contain the original books...right?

Thay are not edited in any way?

No stupid questions! I believe the only difference is that the MMW don't have the letter columns, but some Omnis do. Or at least some omnis do. In this particular case I'm not 100%, as I don't have the ASM omnis. I'm sure someone else can confirm!

On 4/3/2023 at 6:26 PM, WolverineX said:

going through all those books ,which one is your favorite/best.  I'm going to buy a set of stuff.

Well, with that particular stack of books, if you're interested in them, I'd concentrate on the ones that are likely to sell out fastest. For instance, both covers of the Secret Wars omni have been in the top sellers since it went on clearance, and the Zeck cover is now sold out. At $26, I don't expect the Ross cover to last long, so I'd jump on that guy pretty fast if you're interested.  These are all books that had been on my "to buy" list, but once the prices dropped, I knew I had to jump on them. I expect the Wolverine Vol 3 to sell pretty quickly at $50, Volume 2 has been printed previously, and they never ran out of the first printing, so I'd expect they'll stay well stocked on that one. That being said, at $50 it may go fast as well.

I'd been waiting on What if v2 to drop for a long time now. It was printed with 3 covers, and the only one to go on sale previously was the Bob Layton cover (of which I'm not a fan). Now that Layton is back up to $77.50, the JRJr is down to $50, but the Trimpe Hulk/Wolvie cover dropping down to $43.75 was very exciting, as that's the one I'd wanted all along. So I had to grab that one right away. I happen to love the old What if, though.

From a pure reading perspective, in addition to the What If, I'm probably most excited to have finally picked up the Legion of Super Heroes Five Years Later Vol 2 omni, as that's some of my favorite material. I'd just been dragging my heels as I couldn't find it for less than $80. Dropping to $60 was enough to get me to finally scoop it up. But I definitely wouldn't recommend it to a first time or new reader of the series.

So...yeah. With this stuff I usually just try to prioritize by what I think will sell out first versus what I really want the most. I can't afford to buy everything I want all of the time, so I have to pick and choose. So, look for the series you are most interested in owning, then keep an eye on the sales charts and the prices, and think to yourself "What would make me angriest if it were to sell out before I get around to buying it?"

On 4/4/2023 at 8:23 AM, F For Fake said:

No stupid questions! I believe the only difference is that the MMW don't have the letter columns, but some Omnis do. Or at least some omnis do. In this particular case I'm not 100%, as I don't have the ASM omnis. I'm sure someone else can confirm!

Marvel generally includes letter columns in the Omnis that reprint consecutive issues of a series from the Silver Age onward.  So the Lee/Ditko/Romita ASM, the Lee/Kirby FF, Ditko Dr Strange, Buscema Silver Surfer, Englehart Cap, SHIELD, Roy Thomas Avengers, Conan, etc all have the lettercols.  But the Astonishing X-Men (Joss Whedon run) and Miracleman Omnis do not have letters reprinted.  Something like the Thanos Wars Omni has letters if they apply to a previous story collected there, but not if the lettercol references some random previous issue not collected in that edition (since that storyline jumped around between many comics series). 

DC in general has not included the lettercols in any of their Omnis, with The Question being a welcomed exception to that rule.

For those Omnis indexed at the Grand Comics Database, that is a great resource to describe exactly what is included.  

On 4/4/2023 at 9:26 AM, Zonker said:

Marvel generally includes letter columns in the Omnis that reprint consecutive issues of a series from the Silver Age onward.  So the Lee/Ditko/Romita ASM, the Lee/Kirby FF, Ditko Dr Strange, Buscema Silver Surfer, Englehart Cap, SHIELD, Roy Thomas Avengers, Conan, etc all have the lettercols.  But the Astonishing X-Men (Joss Whedon run) and Miracleman Omnis do not have letters reprinted.  Something like the Thanos Wars Omni has letters if they apply to a previous story collected there, but not if the lettercol references some random previous issue not collected in that edition (since that storyline jumped around between many comics series). 

DC in general has not included the lettercols in any of their Omnis, with The Question being a welcomed exception to that rule.

For those Omnis indexed at the Grand Comics Database, that is a great resource to describe exactly what is included.  

I own Spidey Omnis 1-5 and can confirm that the letter columns are included.

On 4/6/2023 at 11:56 PM, ak47po said:

Batman/Spawn: The Deluxe Edition

img609.thumb.jpg.dbb8ca91752b4b7e61e4b0d1b62c51dd.jpg

img608.thumb.jpg.3415cf50b0462e1d601b30427a3c3007.jpg

Oh yeah, I picked this one up too. You've just reminded me I still haven't read it. 

On 4/6/2023 at 10:15 PM, letsgrumble said:

Unleashed... at last!

IMG_4378.thumb.JPG.7e596589fd432735f1cc0211f715936a.JPG

IMG_4379.thumb.JPG.4061a7eeb035f10c2df9c8756ff45eb1.JPG

Yes, I'm excited about this one!

On 4/6/2023 at 9:56 AM, ak47po said:

Batman/Spawn: The Deluxe Edition

img609.thumb.jpg.dbb8ca91752b4b7e61e4b0d1b62c51dd.jpg

img608.thumb.jpg.3415cf50b0462e1d601b30427a3c3007.jpg

You know, it's funny, my recollection is that these stories were terrible, and I have no interest in the newest one, and yet I am tempted to pick this up as IST has it on sale this week for $15. That seems like a good price for a nice deluxe HC. 

On 4/16/2023 at 1:58 PM, MagnusX said:

Daredevil by Miller and Jason.

81zA6RJR8aL(1).thumb.jpg.c920844c54c4c65496f5d995e453cabb.jpg

I like that new cover! (thumbsu

Someday Marvel will come out with my dream Miller Daredevil collection:  Just #168-191 + Born Again between two covers, without the Roger McKenzie issues or the PPSS stories Miller penciled.  

I enjoy popping into LCS when I am out of town as you never know what you may find.

This past weekend I found this copy of Fatal Attractions for half off. Spine is OK for a 10 year old book. It seems the original owner didn't properly stretch it out but I have seem much worst.

FACover.jpg.6ccfb8f9a607f9664fd3a23653b508aa.jpgFABack.jpg.65685f86600df7211c8b3305bd014a40.jpgFASpine.jpg.b094a772664aefcfa407e0ffa90320aa.jpg