• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,935 posts in this topic

On 1/29/2022 at 3:09 AM, Alzabar said:

Got an email today from Heritage that said that the April 7-10 auction will be  "Our final Signature auction of the Promise Collection."

When I search Promise on Heritage I find that they have sold 2601 books from the collection and have a further 630 at auction now or coming up soon.  That's a little over 3200 books.  I thought the collection numbered about 5000 books.  Can none of the last 1800 books warrant being in a Signature Auction? Thoughts?

They mentioned at one time that many of the books had rodent chews. Some could be worse than what we've seen.

On 1/29/2022 at 3:14 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

They mentioned at one time that many of the books had rodent chews. Some could be worse than what we've seen.

Interesting! Since CGC gave a pass to the nibbles on otherwise pretty books, it would be kind of fascinating to see how they would handle a big chew.

On 1/29/2022 at 8:18 AM, Point Five said:

Interesting! Since CGC gave a pass to the nibbles on otherwise pretty books, it would be kind of fascinating to see how they would handle a big chew.

I don't think you'll see a book with a big chew get submitted unless it's a key.

On 1/28/2022 at 3:22 AM, Point Five said:

For early Fox books with this eye appeal, and especially by the standards of today's robust market... these are not particularly high prices.  2c 

I was thinking the same thing. Look at the Graded U.S Jones 2 on HA this week. Price is already sky high and probably going much higher. 

On 1/29/2022 at 12:14 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Alright, some more rat chewed Promise books. If they don’t call them “production flaws” maybe I got a chance…:roflmao:

On 1/29/2022 at 1:14 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Are they running DNA test to confirm what type of rodent chewed the books?  I only collect ones chewed by mice and not rats.

On 1/29/2022 at 9:35 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I'm not saying that HA is going to go easy on the in-house grading, but this one would be an 8.0 if it were a Promise book (knocked down six increments from 9.8 due to "minor chipping").

s-l1600.jpg

Heck, even I would have to pass on that rat feast…:roflmao:

On 1/29/2022 at 12:09 AM, Alzabar said:

Can none of the last 1800 books warrant being in a Signature Auction? Thoughts?

Sounds as though the rest of these might end up in their weeky Sunday/Monday auctions then, which means the bargain hunters might just have a shot at a few of them.  hm  :wishluck:

So much for their initial hype and claim on that video about 2/3 or 3/4 of the collection expected to be the highest graded copies, although they certainly did tried their best whether it be by hook or by crook.  :devil:

If this is the actual case with what we've seen so far, then this collection is actually light years away from the Edgar Church Collection which they kept comparing it to, as it certainly did come in with a big bang, but out with rather a soft whimper. :p  :(

I guess we will now see if @Mmehdy's prediction that prices will now skyrocket on these Promise Collection books once Heritage is done with them actually comes true or not.  Or will all of the interest and money be redirected to whatever new collection Heritage is able to latch their hands onto, like the current Black Cat Collection or the Alfred Pennyworth that came just before the Promise Collection?  hm  

I guess it's just a matter of waiting to see what will great new collection will come next from the gang at Heritage. :popcorn: :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

On 1/29/2022 at 5:24 AM, The-Collector said:

I was thinking the same thing. Look at the Graded U.S Jones 2 on HA this week. Price is already sky high and probably going much higher. 

I guess you must be referring to this copy of U.S. Jones 2 with the classic Nazi WWII cover and a much much tougher book than U.S. Jones 1:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/us-jones-2-fox-features-syndicate-1942-cgc-fn-55-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122205-19840.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-071515&tab=ArchiveSearchResults-012417

lf?set=path%5B2%2F5%2F4%2F1%2F4%2F25414198%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Looks like it has already hit Heritage's prescient auction listing description of this book coming in at more than 10X condition guide as it's already touching on 5-figures with another 2 days to go.  Then again, not really that much of a surprise considering how super rare and tough it is to find a copy of this book here with only 4 Universal unrestored copies on the census.  It also looks like the purchaser of Jon Berk's highest graded Church copy at CGC 8.0 must be absolutely ecstatic when they purchased it for what now appears to be a bargain basement price of only $13,800 back in the summer of 2017.  :applause:

I guess this goes to confirm that there are some diamonds in the rough just waiting to be mined in some of these later Fox books.  Some of the tougher ones and the ones that are also extremely HTF, if not impossible, to find in grade are the very few issues of Mystery Men and Wonderworld's that were not present in the Edgar Church collection.  Books such as Mystery Men 22 & 23 and Wonderworld 24 with census counts in the same ballpark as this U.S. Jones 2, but yet still only maxes out in only mid-grade condition in terms of highest graded copies to date.  If only we could have a repeat performance or a second shot at some of these books from the Jon Berk Collection.  :cloud9:  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/29/2022 at 12:09 AM, Alzabar said:

Got an email today from Heritage that said that the April 7-10 auction will be  "Our final Signature auction of the Promise Collection."

When I search Promise on Heritage I find that they have sold 2601 books from the collection and have a further 630 at auction now or coming up soon.  That's a little over 3200 books.  I thought the collection numbered about 5000 books.  Can none of the last 1800 books warrant being in a Signature Auction? Thoughts?

Big titles might be done, but not big grades necessarily.  Probably has more to do with wrapping it up by Juneish - in a red hot market there's more risk to the downside than upside.

On 1/29/2022 at 12:08 PM, lou_fine said:

Sounds as though the rest of these might end up in their weeky Sunday/Monday auctions then, which means the bargain hunters might just have a shot at a few of them.  hm  :wishluck:

So much for their initial hype and claim on that video about 2/3 or 3/4 of the collection expected to be the highest graded copies, although they certainly did tried their best whether it be by hook or by crook.  :devil:

If this is the actual case with what we've seen so far, then this collection is actually light years away from the Edgar Church Collection which they kept comparing it to, as it certainly did come in with a big bang, but out with rather a soft whimper. :p  :(

I guess we will now see if @Mmehdy's prediction that prices will now skyrocket on these Promise Collection books once Heritage is done with them actually comes true or not.  Or will all of the interest and money be redirected to whatever new collection Heritage is able to latch their hands onto, like the current Black Cat Collection or the Alfred Pennyworth that came just before the Promise Collection?  hm  

I guess it's just a matter of waiting to see what will great new collection will come next from the gang at Heritage. :popcorn: :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

The Promise Detective 33 and 38 are coming up in HA next feature auction

On 1/29/2022 at 5:20 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I don't think you'll see a book with a big chew get submitted unless it's a key.

Would you be referring to a key like this even if it was chomped and chewed all the way down to a miniscule size like this book here:  lol

action1_cgc_cover.jpg

I wonder how they were able to ascertain that the pages for this copy here were White Pages or is that part just invisible?  :bigsmile:

On 1/29/2022 at 2:31 PM, lou_fine said:

I guess you must be referring to this copy of U.S. Jones 2 with the classic Nazi WWII cover and a much much tougher book than U.S. Jones 1:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/us-jones-2-fox-features-syndicate-1942-cgc-fn-55-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122205-19840.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-071515&tab=ArchiveSearchResults-012417

lf?set=path%5B2%2F5%2F4%2F1%2F4%2F25414198%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Looks like it has already hit Heritage's prescient auction listing description of this book coming in at more than 10X condition guide as it's already touching on 5-figures with another 2 days to go.  Then again, not really that much of a surprise considering how super rare and tough it is to find a copy of this book here with only 4 Universal unrestored copies on the census.  It also looks like the purchaser of Jon Berk's highest graded Church copy at CGC 8.0 must be absolutely ecstatic when they purchased it for what now appears to be a bargain basement price of only $13,800 back in the summer of 2017.  :applause:

I guess this goes to confirm that there are some diamonds in the rough just waiting to be mined in some of these later Fox books.  Some of the tougher ones and the ones that are also extremely HTF, if not impossible, to find in grade are the very few issues of Mystery Men and Wonderworld's that were not present in the Edgar Church collection.  Books such as Mystery Men 22 & 23 and Wonderworld 24 with census counts in the same ballpark as this U.S. Jones 2, but yet still only maxes out in only mid-grade condition in terms of highest graded copies to date.  If only we could have a repeat performance or a second shot at some of these books from the Jon Berk Collection.  :cloud9:  :takeit:

The book has nice eye appeal for a 5.5. Also, with very scarce books, you don't necessarily see as steep of a price-grade curve as you do with more common books.

ETA: It looks like most of the defects are on the back cover, and quite a few collectors dig books like that.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 1/29/2022 at 2:56 PM, batman_fan said:

The Promise Detective 33 and 38 are coming up in HA next feature auction

I assume you would be referring to these 2 books from the "top tier almost Church-like worthy pedigree with consistently high grades" which both Lon Allen & Ed Jaster had alluded to in their overly hyped videos and interviews when talking about the Promise Collection books:  :facepalm:  

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Detective Comics #33 Incomplete - The Promise Collection P...

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Detective Comics #38 Incomplete - The Promise Collection P...

On 1/29/2022 at 8:31 PM, lou_fine said:

I assume you would be referring to these 2 books from the "top tier almost Church-like worthy pedigree with consistently high grades" which both Lon Allen & Ed Jaster had alluded to in their overly hyped videos and interviews when talking about the Promise Collection books:  :facepalm:  

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Detective Comics #33 Incomplete - The Promise Collection P...

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Detective Comics #38 Incomplete - The Promise Collection P...

yes, those are the two books.  I expect them to hammer at a real high price.

On 1/29/2022 at 10:31 PM, lou_fine said:

Did you watch the whole video?  Ed and Lon both mentioned that early books were very low grade, which is why the family thought the collection was worth very little.