• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,926 posts in this topic

On 3/22/2024 at 1:38 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, I guess it all depends on your definition of a "mansion" as this is what $2.48M or $80K over asking got you here back in 2016: :fear: :sick:

4453-w-14th-ave-2-4m-home.jpg?crop=1.777xh:h;*,*&downsize=510px:*510w

backyard-of-2-4m-vancouver-home.jpeg

I'm not sure if I believe that. Maybe,  if you throw in the green plastic chair. 

On 3/22/2024 at 1:38 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, I guess it all depends on your definition of a "mansion" as this is what $2.48M or $80K over asking got you here back in 2016: :fear: :sick:

4453-w-14th-ave-2-4m-home.jpg?crop=1.777xh:h;*,*&downsize=510px:*510w

backyard-of-2-4m-vancouver-home.jpeg

I did not know that property in Vancouver was that expensive, but I read that this was a trendy "Point Grey" neighborhood, so I guess it was considered a prime location. I imagine someone tore it down and built a more modern house?

There have been some renewal efforts in Detroit, but for the most part, nobody wants to live there, so house in the city usually sell for far less that houses in the nicer suburbs. (There are a few exclusive neighborhoods in Detroit, but not many.)

On 3/23/2024 at 1:59 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

A West Virginny manchin t'aint like no other, but I might've invested too much in that joke. :wink:

I get it now! I have not been following U.S. politics enough lately to know that there was a Senator by that name.

On 3/23/2024 at 12:37 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I did not know that property in Vancouver was that expensive, but I read that this was a trendy "Point Grey" neighborhood, so I guess it was considered a prime location. I imagine someone tore it down and built a more modern house?

Well, not as bad as it used to be from a relative basis at least as Vancouver has now dropped down a notch in the rankings to the #3 least affordable city in the world to the from the #2 spot which has now been taken over by Sydney, with these two cities flipping positions on a regular basis.  Nowhere close to where @tth2 who used to reside in Hong Kong which has always taken the top spot in the world by a long shot.  (thumbsu

Not sure about this Affordability Index measurement since it's apparently based upon a ranking of 92 global cities and simply takes the median price of a house in the city and divides it by the gross median income of the household pre-tax.  So, I guess you are lucky if you live in a city like Pittsburg which has a index of 2.7 since anything under 3 is considered to be "affordable" while Vancouver is sitting at 13.3 and the Gold Medal loser (i.e. Hong Kong) comes in at a whopping 23.2 where anything over a 5 multiplier is considered to be "severely unafforable".  :(

On 3/23/2024 at 1:50 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, not as bad as it used to be from a relative basis at least as Vancouver has now dropped down a notch in the rankings to the #3 least affordable city in the world to the from the #2 spot which has now been taken over by Sydney, with these two cities flipping positions on a regular basis.  Nowhere close to where @tth2 who used to reside in Hong Kong which has always taken the top spot in the world by a long shot.  (thumbsu

Not sure about this Affordability Index measurement since it's apparently based upon a ranking of 92 global cities and simply takes the median price of a house in the city and divides it by the gross median income of the household pre-tax.  So, I guess you are lucky if you live in a city like Pittsburg which has a index of 2.7 since anything under 3 is considered to be "affordable" while Vancouver is sitting at 13.3 and the Gold Medal loser (i.e. Hong Kong) comes in at a whopping 23.2 where anything over a 5 multiplier is considered to be "severely unafforable".  :(

Some people are made very differently from me, I guess. I can't stand urban areas and wouldn't live in a big city unless it was much, much cheaper than living in a suburban or rural area.

On 3/24/2024 at 5:33 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Why is this a blue?

Because the ink used in the label absorbed the red and green waves from the visible light spectrum, and the blue waves were picked up by the blue-sensitive cones in our eyeballs.

On 3/24/2024 at 5:29 PM, adamstrange said:

Because the ink used in the label absorbed the red and green waves from the visible light spectrum, and the blue waves were picked up by the blue-sensitive cones in our eyeballs.

I feel it’s my purple sensitive cones shoulda been triggered 

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 3/24/2024 at 4:33 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Why is this a blue?

IMG_9504.png

IMG_9505.jpeg

From what I recall reading (and I had to re-search for it to make sure I was remembering correctly), CGC gave (will give?) GA comics with very minor color touch or glue a pass in that they would get a blue label but would still note the color touch/glue on the label.  I think it was under their discretion, so I don't know what the exact criteria would be for determining whether it would be blue or not for color touch or glue.  I've seen a few of these in the past.  As a matter of fact there were threads on this forum about it with examples.

On 3/24/2024 at 6:45 PM, Telegan said:

From what I recall reading (and I had to re-search for it to make sure I was remembering correctly), CGC gave (will give?) GA comics with very minor color touch or glue a pass in that they would get a blue label but would still note the color touch/glue on the label.  I think it was under their discretion, so I don't know what the exact criteria would be for determining whether it would be blue or not for color touch or glue.  I've seen a few of these in the past.  As a matter of fact there were threads on this forum about it with examples.

I hear ya. I’ve seen and owned those labels before. I just never knew it meant multiple tear seals and multiple color touches, all on the same cover. Foolish me thought it was one and done(which is still too many for a blue)

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

About 10 years ago, I saw a Golden Age Action Comics graded 9.0 on e-Bay.  I asked the seller for the grader notes.  When he saw the notes, he was surprised that it indicated that there was a slight dab of glue which was not noted on the Blue label.  When he contacted CGC's top grader, he was puzzled and could not confirm whether the book had glue or not.  Eventually, the seller decided to resubmit the book for pressing and regrading.  The book came back as a 9.2.  The label did not indicate any glue and I did not ask about the revised grader notes.

• Administrator
On 3/24/2024 at 6:29 PM, adamstrange said:
On 3/24/2024 at 5:33 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Why is this a blue?

No custom title?  hm

On 3/30/2024 at 9:36 PM, CGC Mike said:

No custom title?  hm

The most deserving Boardie without a custom title. :sumo: