• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,015 posts in this topic

On 10/22/2021 at 10:45 PM, George Brent said:

D-a-m-'.       That was a good half hour I spent on that thread  --but a good one  (though I'm not sure about one claim on there that every Sensational She Hulk after #2 had both direct and newsstand, as I've never seen a newsstand copy of #51-60 --and, holy cow, I just checked MHC for their She Hulk newsstand info and their prices for #40-onwards are now 4-5x the already very high prices of a few weeks ago, #60 is $2280 in VF)

In fairness this going to end up being a much larger 35 cent variant version. Some issues too. Horror and oddball titles you will never find newsstands for later titles. Some Ghost Rider titles among others I have only seen maybe 1 of each issue in newsstand over the years. 

And someone mentioned early there are several titles in the late 90s I mean very late 90s that are very difficult to find. My cut off is usually 1998 unless a real key issues. Again high grade is the other portion of this we never discuss. I found lots of 20 to 30 sometimes, but many were not even 5.0s.

Edited by fastballspecial

On 10/30/2021 at 3:38 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

Here's an example of how a stickered newsstand gets graded by CGC (it gets a qualified grade).  There are several examples of stickered newsstand issues from the hey-day of over-production of comic books in the early-to-mid 1990s.

266376570_superman75stickeredCGC.thumb.jpg.5247a27914c3d862c64520c799ac4cb0.jpg

There is the other one. :cool:

(Thanks for mine..)

I also have a Killing Joke #1 CGC graded stickered for sale in my VCC booth on Elm Street. :banana:

On 11/3/2021 at 11:51 PM, kenaran said:

Repeat from a few months back, but since we're on the topic of stickers.....   Here's a newsstand with a direct sticker.  Also the newest one of these I've ever seen.

img061b.png

Yes, this comic book was a real odd ball.  I've seen several newsstand stickers, but I think this is one of the only ones I've seen where a direct sales sticker was placed over the newsstand issue.  And it was not a one off.   With the one you showed above, I've now seen at least 3 of them.  My copy was graded and it was a qualified CGC 9.6.   Here's what my notes say about it: "Comixdlr on CGC collector's society found some other copies in Aug 2017 (not from same source as the person on ebay who sold it to me);   He said that he was a dealer and was upset that Diamond Distribution sent them to him with the stickers on them when they were originally released.  He tried to find his old order forms for them but was sure that they didn't move that to the new shop and just shredded it all.. or recycled it. "

Little did he know that at the time that the sticker might add value to it!

1208092442_Batman619sticker.thumb.jpg.011e44d58fc42879ce7ad45ead93b045.jpg

Edited by Cpt Kirk

On 11/5/2021 at 10:49 AM, ThothAmon said:

Homage to a favorite. 

6FA52D73-99CA-4CF1-819F-B87175E940BF.jpeg

awesome.  My records show I originally bought the original TEC 359 comic book (probably in the early 1980s) in VF for $4.   Just dumb luck because back then I didn't really care about condition as long as the comic book was complete. I was just trying to complete the run.

On 11/5/2021 at 11:18 AM, littledoom said:

I bought this comic off the stands. One of the very firsts. I love the sweet Bolland homage. Something about that purple 

I just found it a couple of weeks ago in a 5 for $20 bin at a show - it was so cool looking I was happy to nab it! Not a newsstand though unfortunately.

On 11/5/2021 at 9:24 AM, Jesse-Lee said:

I just found it a couple of weeks ago in a 5 for $20 bin at a show - it was so cool looking I was happy to nab it! Not a newsstand though unfortunately.

Yeah I see it’s catching on. Like a $5 book