• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s THE BOOK OF BOBA FETT (2021)
6 6

809 posts in this topic

Most people working at Disney+ had no idea this was coming.

When the second-season finale of The Mandalorian aired on Dec. 18, 2020, a mid-credits scene revealed a spinoff series titled The Book of Boba Fett. That this happened just a week after Disney had revealed 10 new Star Wars shows in development during its Investor Day livestream made the announcement all the more baffling — didn’t the company just present its Star Wars slate? Is The Mandalorian canceled? Confused reporters flooded the email inboxes of equally confused publicists, and showrunner Jon Favreau was quickly booked on Good Morning America to clear things up.

“Even Disney didn’t know we were going to drop it like that,” marvels The Book of Boba Fett co-showrunner Robert Rodriguez. “I got to see the inner workings, and [Favreau and writer-producer-director Dave Filoni] kept this a secret from everybody.”

Fett finally was resurrected in The Mandalorian season two episode “The Tragedy,” with New Zealand actor Temuera Morrison (who portrayed Fett’s father, Jango, in the Star Wars prequels) reprising the role. Favreau approached his longtime friend Rodriguez to direct the key episode. “He crushed it,” Favreau says. “We loved his interpretation of the character, and I pitched him and the studio the idea of doing more.”

For the 53-year-old Rodriguez, a longtime Star Wars fan, the experience was like being inducted into the Jedi Order. “I can’t even say this is a dream come true because I wouldn’t have even thought to dream this,” Rodriguez says during a sit-down at his Troublemaker Studios in Austin. The Alita: Battle Angel and Sin City director is arguably a perfect fit for Favreau and Filoni’s Star Wars hub, even though the devoutly independent filmmaker says he normally doesn’t like to get involved with franchises unless they’re his creation (such as his four Spy Kids films).

:banana:

Temeura Morrison is 60, Ming-Na Wen is 58. Let's ask the important question here: is this show the modern Golden Girls?