• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Video Game Chit Chat Is Welcome!! PlayStation 5/XBox Series X scalping...did you/will you pay inflated prices?
6 6

Scalped PlayStation 5/XBox Series X console  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Have you/will you purchase(d) a PS5 at retailer or scalper price?

• Retailer
    • Scalper
    • I’d rather buy comic books
    • I have better things to do with my hard earned stimulus check

740 posts in this topic

Amazon was offering it at retail through the Amazon Treasure Truck this morning.  They will probably do it again between now and Christmas.  I had the text alert come through and I thought about getting one to flip bu, honestly, it's more clutter in the meantime while trying to get rid of other stuff.  

On 8/25/2021 at 12:01 PM, Buzzetta said:

Amazon was offering it at retail through the Amazon Treasure Truck this morning.  They will probably do it again between now and Christmas.  I had the text alert come through and I thought about getting one to flip bu, honestly, it's more clutter in the meantime while trying to get rid of other stuff.  

I dont even know what that is. 

If anyone does get one for retail and wants to sell it at retail (I know, crazy) I'd buy it

On 11/18/2021 at 2:34 AM, RedKSuperman said:

Honestly, I haven't played a new video game in a decade or so...

-RKSM

Backgrounds aren't just brown and green anymore. That's probably the biggest change. 

On 11/17/2021 at 4:34 PM, RedKSuperman said:

Honestly, I haven't played a new video game in a decade or so...

-RKSM

No problem. Just pull out Skyrim again. That hasn’t changed.

On 11/19/2021 at 5:36 PM, Ken Aldred said:

A real pity that the GTA remaster trilogy, including my favourite, San Andreas, has been screwed up quite badly.

Do tell. Is that a ps5 exclusive?

On 11/20/2021 at 2:19 AM, The Meta said:

Do tell. Is that a ps5 exclusive?

No many different formats; PC, console, tablet.

The original versions have been removed from sale, so this mess-up is the only option Rockstar are offering for now.

On 11/19/2021 at 8:26 PM, Ken Aldred said:

No many different formats; PC, console, tablet.

The original versions have been removed from sale, so this mess-up is the only option Rockstar are offering for now.

Guess I'm lucky to have got the ones I did. Have Vice City and San Andreas on my ps4

I haven’t even tried to get a PS5 this year, reading about the ubiquitous scalping and the limited supply issues.

Yesterday I received an email from Curry’s, the UK’s biggest electrical goods retailer, from their VIP Perks system, something I don’t even recall signing up for. (shrug)  I was surprised to discover that I’d been allocated a buy code from their PS5 VIP draw, as it’s called, with an invitation to buy a PS5 bundle at retail price; a disc console with either an extra controller, or headphones, or a game.  I chose the extra controller. So, paid for and should be available for me to collect in person just before Xmas. It’s a check system which is designed to prevent black marketing as much as possible.

Nice to see something go from feeling like an uphill struggle to being completely effortless for a change, though through pure luck.

Looks like it’ll be Guardians of the Galaxy time very soon.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 12/1/2021 at 11:09 AM, Ken Aldred said:

I haven’t even tried to get a PS5 this year, reading about the ubiquitous scalping and the limited supply issues.

Yesterday I received an email from Curry’s, the UK’s biggest electrical goods retailer, from their VIP Perks system, something I don’t even recall signing up for. (shrug)  I was surprised to discover that I’d been allocated a buy code from their PS5 VIP draw, as it’s called, with an invitation to buy a PS5 bundle at retail price; a disc console with either an extra controller, or headphones, or a game.  I chose the extra controller. So, paid for and should be available for me to collect in person just before Xmas. It’s a check system which is designed to prevent black marketing as much as possible.

Nice to see something go from feeling like an uphill struggle to being completely effortless for a change, though through pure luck.

Looks like it’ll be Guardians of the Galaxy time very soon.

My friend in Wales got his console the same way

I'm pretty much screwed on getting one, have to sit and wait for Twitter updates to see when some are available and miss out because a bot will beat the system

On 12/1/2021 at 9:41 PM, The Meta said:

My friend in Wales got his console the same way

I didn’t know anything at all about the system until I received the email yesterday afternoon.  Completely unexpected.

On 12/2/2021 at 12:41 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Schizophrenia. :o

Don’t need psychosis to explain email spamming, which, in this rare case, had a positive outcome.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 12/2/2021 at 1:17 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I thought it was a service like GameStop Pro, where you must subscribe to receive an opportunity to buy.

No, they just put me on a mailing list. (shrug)

Usually it’s just emails with promotions such as a three month ‘free’ trial of Apple Music, that kind of thing.

First time it’s ever been anything as impressive as this offer, and completely unexpected.

My wife's 31 year old son, a freeloading leech who can't live his own life, offered her a chance to sell MY PS5 at scalped prices in order for him to make some cash and for her to get her money back (not likely).  When she mentioned this to me, I just about blew a gasket. Not because it's mine and was a birthday gift from my wife, but because he had the audacity to suggest it (and I can't stand his presence).  So, apparently scalpers are still making money on these things...maybe not as much as the beginning of the year.

BTW, I told my wife that if I ever find him in the house, or think he has been, she'll be visiting him in jail.  I'll be changing the door locks too.  Imagine if he found my comics!!! :ohnoez::censored:

Edited by Galen130

One ridiculous Black Friday ‘offer’ I saw was from another of the UK’s biggest hi-fi retailers, bundling a PS 5, unavailable elsewhere by itself on their website, with a high-end Denon AV receiver, only being released by them for the eye-watering, extortionate price of £4800.

So, that’s basically slightly over 10x the retail price of a disc version console alone.

I laughed a bit. I hope people aren’t quite that desperate.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 12/3/2021 at 11:14 AM, Ken Aldred said:

One ridiculous Black Friday ‘offer’ I saw was from another of the UK’s biggest hi-fi retailers, bundling a PS 5, unavailable elsewhere by itself on their website, with a high-end Denon AV receiver, for the eye-watering, extortionate price of £4800.

So, that’s basically slightly over 10x the retail price of a disc version console alone.

I laughed a bit. 

Surprised Batman.jpeg