• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

6,947 posts in this topic

On 4/30/2022 at 11:48 AM, lou_fine said:

Like a walk in the park on a sunny day with a lot of beautiful red roses in comparison to the 80% decimation which some of equity growth stocks in the stock market have taken over the past few months.  :fear:  :tonofbricks:  :tonofbricks:

The big auction houses will tell you when the stock market crashes, investors flee into collectibles.  Don't know how true that is, but it appears true for at least the grail books.

On 4/6/2022 at 11:04 AM, Robot Man said:

I can never figure out why people pay crazy money for comics just because the character appears in a movie. (shrug) Not like they suddenly became rare or something.

Perfect example, Groot. A stupid talking tree that made a one time forgotten appearance in an obscure “monster” title. Or, Rocket Racoon. Come on really?

Can’t really complain though. I have made stupid money off of stupid people for years because of it…

this may have been answered weeks ago, but we are still in the old mindset Im sure you know all too well that all comics and pulp characters have varying levels of popularity and hence value based on that popularity.  And the multiplier was always a movie, TV show or ANY cross media efforts at all. (toys games etc)  So even with 5500 Marvel characters, only what, 250 have appeared outside comics, in TV and movies?  Its still a separating point between the others.  At some point, it wont mean s much cause it will happen to so many other characters that are seen once and never again.  Which is already sort of happening when prices skyrocket then decline post movie opening.

On 4/30/2022 at 1:38 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

The big auction houses will tell you when the stock market crashes, investors flee into collectibles.  Don't know how true that is, but it appears true for at least the grail books.

I try to buy both while down, impossible to time any market though.

Edited by PKJ

On 4/30/2022 at 7:08 PM, alexgross.com said:

is now a buyers market? is a book being down 15-30% from last year's record high really very down? after all, many of these books increased in value from 2020 to 2021 by 100 or 200 per cent, some books more. i guess it tends to be the keys and semi-keys that increased the most in 2021 and most of them are doing just fine, or still increasing. the overall state of the world and the stock market are surely creating fear and uncertainty that probably won't help overall comics values, though keys are somewhat immune of late. but for non keys, will we see further drops? after all a book that doubled in value in 2021 and then lost 50 percent of that back this year still feels pretty up to me. though i wouldn't wanna sell it.

Personally for me, yes some are in ranges I am comfortable with, but granted I am not chasing the big keys at the moment(aside from Showcase 4). I needed to upgrade my Conan 1 and figured a 37% price cut was good enough for me. If certain books keep dropping and I like them I average down and buy another copy or two. When I go to sell to shift funds in another book, those copies have always had good returns over the years. 

To avoid boring you all, I deleted my full paragraph on the stock market and comics.

Edited by PKJ

On 4/30/2022 at 4:08 PM, alexgross.com said:

after all a book that doubled in value in 2021 and then lost 50 percent of that back this year still feels pretty up to me.

From a pure arithmetical POV, this would be dead wrong as you have just made a round trip back to where you started from.  :gossip:

For example, if a book doubled in value from $100 in 2020 up to $200 in 2021, and then dropped by 50% in 2022, you are now back down to your original $100.  :preach:

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/30/2022 at 7:51 PM, lou_fine said:

From a pure arithmetical POV, this would be dead wrong as you have just made a round trip back to where you started from.  :gossip:

For example, if a book doubled in value from $100 in 2020 up to $200 in 2021, and then dropped by 50% in 2022, you are now back down to your original $100.  :preach:

I think it was clear he meant 50% of the gains, not that it doubled and then halved.  So in your example it's $150 now--still up overall.  And "still up overall" describes the vast majority of books to this day.  (Many of which, by more than 50% as well.)  For instance, at the end of 2020 the 365 day average for Hulk 181 9.0 was $4600.  So call me when it's back below that.  

On 4/30/2022 at 9:50 PM, Troy Division said:

Until all investment indexes return to late 2019 / early 2020 levels we are overpaying for everything due to the Fed leaving the money printer on brrrr and dropping interest rates to near zero.

payback is gonna be a painful wake up call for low income folk. Fall will be a real ball buster

Edited by Courageous Cat

On 4/30/2022 at 5:50 PM, Poekaymon said:

For instance, at the end of 2020 the 365 day average for Hulk 181 9.0 was $4600.  So call me when it's back below that.  

I'll call you for sure when it dips below my purchase price point that I had to pay for my copy because there'll be a lot of crying on the boards here if that ever happens. :cry:  :cry:  lol