• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

6,947 posts in this topic

On 4/6/2022 at 8:40 PM, Axelrod said:

I don't know if it's a known thing or not, but I assumed that they give out the 9.9s and the even rarer 10s on some kind of statistical % basis of books submitted.  Basically, if a book looks perfect it will get a 9.8, unless it's time to give out a 9.9.  Then they'll take the "best" looking book that would have been a 9.8 and make that the 9.9 Ditto for 10s.  Keep them coming, but at a regular and very, very low %

I am a cynic.

Having only received 1 9.9 (out of hundreds subs) on an unpressed, raw book to CGC I can provide limited context.
Beyond the typical 9.8 'requirements' of sharp corners and not creases, the book I submitted laid perfectly flat AND the staples were perfectly aligned on the spine.

On 4/6/2022 at 9:04 AM, Robot Man said:

I can never figure out why people pay crazy money for comics just because the character appears in a movie. (shrug) Not like they suddenly became rare or something.

Perfect example, Groot. A stupid talking tree that made a one time forgotten appearance in an obscure “monster” title. Or, Rocket Racoon. Come on really?

Can’t really complain though. I have made stupid money off of stupid people for years because of it…

Because when the character appears in a movie he's introduced to millions of people.  Groot is a perfect example.  Hardly anyone knew who he was or where he appeared and once he was in a movie everyone knew who he was.  Supply stayed the same but demand increased exponentially.

On 4/7/2022 at 2:32 AM, thehumantorch said:

Because when the character appears in a movie he's introduced to millions of people.  Groot is a perfect example.  Hardly anyone knew who he was or where he appeared and once he was in a movie everyone knew who he was.  Supply stayed the same but demand increased exponentially.

Oh, Yes, I get that general principal. But, as @lou_fine said do well above, how many people going to these movies even go to a comic store, buy comics or much less pay these inflated prices to own his first appearance?

All the market activity is from existing collectors and investors trying to make a quick buck. It is the “herd mentality” that drives the prices up. And, eventually, some poor fool will end up holding the bag.

I have a large stash of those pre superhero Marvel monster books including TTA13. Got them very cheap over the years. Come on, they are not, other than a few exceptions, very good. Groot was just one of many of those formulaic monsters. The movie gave him some personality and made him a star. I sold off one of my copies and made insane money on it. So keep the ball rolling! 

On 4/7/2022 at 10:38 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Now we just need to get some 9.9 owners to pony up

1D5AC945-24BD-4075-88CA-5C37040A139E.gif

They should be lining up since I'm sure a flawless book will get a 10 a second time around.

I keep seeing people running Facebook/Instagram/Youtube auctions and pricing books as though it was 2021...and their books are not selling. A year ago sure, that cool 90s cover that became a "key" for a period of time could have landed you $20-30 but now, people are only wanting to spend maybe $5-10 on such a book. 

The drop is less for silver/bronze age books but even there, I feel like a return to more realistic values is occurring for many of the "first appearance" keys and such. 

Edited by comicginger1789

On 4/7/2022 at 8:41 AM, Robot Man said:

Oh, Yes, I get that general principal. But, as @lou_fine said do well above, how many people going to these movies even go to a comic store, buy comics or much less pay these inflated prices to own his first appearance?

All the market activity is from existing collectors and investors trying to make a quick buck. It is the “herd mentality” that drives the prices up. And, eventually, some poor fool will end up holding the bag.

I have a large stash of those pre superhero Marvel monster books including TTA13. Got them very cheap over the years. Come on, they are not, other than a few exceptions, very good. Groot was just one of many of those formulaic monsters. The movie gave him some personality and made him a star. I sold off one of my copies and made insane money on it. So keep the ball rolling! 

Sure, we know how this works.  Movie or TV show announcement and speculators rush to pick up the corresponding comic and prices increase.  General public and collectors join the herd and prices increase more.  I dare say I've paid too much for books that have jumped in price and I'm now holding the bag.  That's okay as I love and appreciate what's in the bag.

Sure Groot and many of the other pre superhero Marvel monster books are silly.  But doesn't that go for many of the hot SA books?  God, early Fantastic Fours are almost unreadable and Kirby's art in those issues is awful - and I'm a huge FF/Kirby fan.  What about all the classic GA books with amazing covers and lame interiors and writing?  You and I are both holding the bag on those lol

On 4/7/2022 at 1:50 PM, thehumantorch said:

Sure, we know how this works.  Movie or TV show announcement and speculators rush to pick up the corresponding comic and prices increase.  General public and collectors join the herd and prices increase more. 

source-1.gif.95e27a8d9270957284f7b7187e92907c.gif

On 4/7/2022 at 11:50 AM, thehumantorch said:

Sure, we know how this works.  Movie or TV show announcement and speculators rush to pick up the corresponding comic and prices increase.  General public and collectors join the herd and prices increase more.  I dare say I've paid too much for books that have jumped in price and I'm now holding the bag.  That's okay as I love and appreciate what's in the bag.

Sure Groot and many of the other pre superhero Marvel monster books are silly.  But doesn't that go for many of the hot SA books?  God, early Fantastic Fours are almost unreadable and Kirby's art in those issues is awful - and I'm a huge FF/Kirby fan.  What about all the classic GA books with amazing covers and lame interiors and writing?  You and I are both holding the bag on those lol

I love that bag and seriously believe I will get hurt at all by doing so. :banana:

ComicLink finally did me in.....this April Focused Auction is just too much.   I was trying to recap these last two sessions but I have lost my mojo.    I got to the "H"s and threw in the towel.    Plus the Heritage books/art results this week really makes you not care that much about how a bunch of 9.0 copies of ASM #361 are doing at the moment.  

On 4/7/2022 at 2:55 PM, The Meta said:

There is nobody with bigger brass balls than the guy who promised to kill Groot, and he even set a deadline

Talk about badassery

5AA720FF-4E22-4351-AE3D-72DC595FF186.jpeg.fa583334a4b673ffffe1bf5bf7bcd2d4.jpeg.jpg

Groot should be given credit for being a fair sort of alien invader since he (presumably) allows this deadline from the guy in the sportscoat. 'Alright, you've got about seven hours to destroy me then, let's see you do it!"

On 4/7/2022 at 12:50 PM, thehumantorch said:

:whatthe: You have finally seen the light.

Continued tracking of my 50 piece personal collection's value for insurance purposes.
I am utilizing eBay sold items (with auctions taking priority over buy-it-now) to determine FMV.

January to February           .40% increase
February to March            2.05% increase
March to April                   4.07% decrease

Majority of the decrease from mid-March to mid-April was a result of various Batman books 'correcting' after the movie was released.
(11 of the 50 comics in my personal collection are Batman related)

Edited by Troy Division